Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Diamond
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surfing around various game boards, I came across something I'd never seen: "Zuzzy mats." More particularly, the "Terra-Flex Flexible Terrain System Flagston Paven Gaming Mat" (you can Google this if you haven't seen them). These textured/sculpted roll-up mats are made of latex rubber with subtle grids marked from 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 inch. The mats come unpainted; the company recommends using acrylic paints applied in thin layers using wash, dry-brush and scumbling techniques. (no idea what "scumbling" is, lol...)

I haven't tried anything like this myself, has anyone else? Their 3' x4' mat is around $31 (plus shipping to Hawaii for me adds another $15). I'm just wondering if there are other such mats dungeoneers have used ... this seems to be a pretty elegant solution to making large dungeons, and a lot cheaper than the MK 3D dungeon tiles & walls you can only get on eBay nowadays.

Of course, you'd still have to create dungeon walls, but that's another question...I've been collecting black foam inserts from the innumerable PCs we get at work, and once painted they would work as well.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall the size of squares for MKD, but it could work. You might be able to get away with cardboard pieces you could set onto the map to create the spaces you couldn't move to.... That would be a cheap and easy option.

I do have a Zuzzy mat - the verdant fields, I believe. I had been painting it but takes a long time to paint because of the amount of texture. I like it though, it looks really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent done that myself nor even heard of a Zuggy mat. I was too enamored by the MK Dungeon floor, wall, and door packs that I overpaid hard for 3 or so packs of each that I able to find. Those may be expensive but are amazing looking. I even was able to fasten an orange halloween light and a battery pack to wall sections to make "torches". I love 3d terrain but I am not sure how well that works with MKD.

I really need to get back into this since I have 3 boxes of stuff for this game. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MKD squares are 1.5" square - at least for the printed maps and cardboard tiles. I think the plastic 3D tiles are 2" square, but I'm not sure.

1.25" squares might work - really as long as the figures fit into the squares you're good. Even if they overlap a tiny amount it would probably work OK because they're not often crowded in MKD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladys Wallflower
msg tools
I don't have any experience with zuzzy mats, but I have thought about buying one. I am looking for a base mat to create a dungeon on with my 3D dungeon floor tiles. The prices for the zuzzy mats don't seem bad but I want to work with far cheaper materials. I used to create my own "mats" with posterboard but that is rather flimsy material that rolls together, eventually becoming obsolete.

I am wondering if anyone else has some "cheaper" game mat ideas just to use as a base? I would like to create my own dungeon(s) now since I am getting tired of playing on the maps included with the starter sets/heroic quests packs. Might be fun to try to make some simple war game terrain (ruins, specifically but I'm not quite sure how) just to use as decoration if I ever do find a "cheap" gaming mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
If your US side ISTR Banners on the Cheap were a way of getting printed Vinyl maps.

http://www.bannersonthecheap.com/

RPGnet discussion : http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?616405-Banners-on-the-Ch...

There used to be an online program with all the art assets from MKD, that could be used to generate output for it.

On the 3D side Hirst Arts did several moulds inteded for Mageknight Dungeon.

http://www.hirstarts.com/arena/arena.html is the project page for MKD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.