Coup» Forums » Rules

Subject: Killer may be challenged and blocked in the same turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cris silva
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm player A and I use my killer to kill the player B. Player C challenges me I show my killer, he loses an influence, I discard my killer and buy a new card.

The question is: My killer is still considered in play to kill a character this turn yet? or if it was discard I can not use his power more and have to use the power of the new card?

If it still can be used, it can be blocked by a countess Player B despite having been challenged by the player C?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once discarded, the power may not be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil, that's not right.

If you claim a role and are challenged on that, and you do in fact reveal that role, your action dependent on that role still happens.

So, using Cris' example:

Andrew assassinates Betty, paying his three coins. Charles challenges Andrew about having the Assassin. Andrew reveals his Assassin, and replaces it. Because he did in fact have an assassin, the assassination now goes through. At this point, Betty may choose to claim she has a Contessa. If she does not make this claim, she loses an influence. If she does claim Contessa, Andrew (or anyone, really) can choose to challenge that claim. If no challenge is made, nothing further happens. If Andrew challenges, and Betty does indeed reveal a Contessa, she replaces the Contessa, and Andrew loses an influence. If Betty does not reveal a Contessa, she will lose an influence for the successful challenge, and then lose an influence as the assassination finally resolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I missed part of the post.

We play you do NOT discard the factual-but-challenged role until after the action (power) is resolved.

But once discarded you may not use the power any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure you can. It is a bluffing game, after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Timothy for reading more closely than I did, since I thought I knew where the post was going and was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
Thanks to Timothy for reading more closely than I did, since I thought I knew where the post was going and was wrong.

Hey now, this is the internet. Admitting you were wrong? Pfft!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
badge
"I am the one who knocks..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

What about Charles? Does he lose an influence for challenging Andrew when Andrew did in fact have the Assassin?

Also, you said that if Betty chooses to say she has a Contessa and nobody challenges her, nothing further happens. Does this then mean that Andrew loses an influence because of a "failed" assassination attempt, or does he simply get dealt another card.

The reason I ask is because in your example Andrew has already revealed his Assassin when challenged by Charles. I understand that if Betty is challenged for the Contessa and doesn't have one she will lose up to 2 influence but I am unclear what happens with Andrews card(s).

Thanks!

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersonCouncil wrote:
Hi,

What about Charles? Does he lose an influence for challenging Andrew when Andrew did in fact have the Assassin?

Also, you said that if Betty chooses to say she has a Contessa and nobody challenges her, nothing further happens. Does this then mean that Andrew loses an influence because of a "failed" assassination attempt, or does he simply get dealt another card.

The reason I ask is because in your example Andrew has already revealed his Assassin when challenged by Charles. I understand that if Betty is challenged for the Contessa and doesn't have one she will lose up to 2 influence but I am unclear what happens with Andrews card(s).

Thanks!

Andy

Charles loses an influence for an incorrect challenge and Andrew shuffles his revealed Assassin into the Court deck and draws a replacement card (which may be his Assassin back again). This is all part of resolving the challenge.

Once the challenge is fully resolved, Betty has her chance to block with a Contessa, losing no influence (if unchallenged, or if she shows a Contessa when challenged) or (up to) two influence (if she's challenged and shows some other card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in Timothy's example above, Charles loses an influence when Andrew reveals that he, in fact, had the Assassin. If Andrew was unable to reveal an Assassin, Charles would not lose influence, Andrew would lose influence (but reclaim his 3 coins), and Betty would not need to worry about having Contessa or not since the Assassination was a bluff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.