Hide
7 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flying and guard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
msg tools
Since english is not my primary way to communicate, I am having a hard time to understand the rules for flying and guarding.

Rules says : Attacks against other flying creatures always ignore guard. However, If a flying creature guard, it loose the flying trait.

Let say that

player 1 active a flying creature and declare a attack. In its zone, opponent have a flying creature with a guard marker and the mage.

How does it work, the way i see it, since the enemy flying creature guard, it loose the flying trait. So, playing 1 need to attack the flying creature with guard and cannot attack the mage. Is it the right answer?

If not, what is the logic with flying creature cant attack flying creature with guard?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say you are playing a Beastmaster with several Thunderdrift Falcons and your mage in the same zone as your opponent's pair of Gray Angels and their mage, and one of those Gray Angels is on guard. If you activate one of your falcons, you can attack the Gray Angel that is not guarding, since you can ignore the guards in a zone when attacking a flying creature with another flying creature, or you can attack the guard. You cannot attack the opposing mage. The guard is not considered flying, so, alternatively, you could activate your Beastmaster and attack the guarding gray angel, after which, it would lose the guard token and regain flying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
msg tools
If I can attack the flying creature that is not guarding, why cant I attack the opponent mage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't attack the mage because the mage is protected by the guard. The point is that creatures that currently have flying are not protected by guards against other flying creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Devilix wrote:
If I can attack the flying creature that is not guarding, why cant I attack the opponent mage?

The reason why you can attack the flyer and not the mage is because once a flyer declares he is guarding, he loses flying.. Then your flyer has the option to attack and other flying creatures in the zone because flying creatures may ignore guards if they attack other flying creatures... If a flying creature decides to attack a non flying creature, then the guard take affect and you must attack the guard before the non flying creature.

Think of it like 2 battles can be going on in any zone, a flying battle is independant then a ground battle... And only when flyers attack ground units do guards come into play.

I know it is a bit confusing but guards cannot gain flying, so they can only protect land units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to land to guard, if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
You have to land to guard, if that helps.

Yes. Here is the rationale that works for me.

I think of it as another level of zones above the ground level. Guards only protect what is on the ground level, but work against both flying and non-flying. This is because the flying creature must swoop down to reach a ground level target which provides a guarding creature the ability to intercept that attack and protect a ground level target.

There is no guarding in the flying level above the ground because of the added mobility of a 3-dimensional space to manuever around a flying creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.