Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitting down to play first time. We can't figure out the effect of troop quality. Searched the rule book and found 3 references to elite, but that did not help. We are playing scenario 10. Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The troop quality reflects the team(s) that a squad will break down to when you Deploy or play Light Wounds

It also determines which OOBs are available when using the RSG, but that isn't relevant for your situation at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
The troop quality reflects the team(s) that a squad will break down to when you Deploy or play Light Wounds

It also determines which OOBs are available when using the RSG, but that isn't relevant for your situation at the moment.

Is that it?

It seemed like it would have more importance and I've scoured the rules as well trying to figure out what I was missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The major effects are already taken into account with the numbers printed on the bottom of the counters. Elite are already better than Green troops for example, by virtue of better numbers on their counters (front and back). You can lay down some counters with different qualities but the same number of illustrated men on the front and see the difference in firepower, morale, etc.

So you don't have to anything else to account for that. However, as mentioned above, cards may refer to specific qualities of troops (for example, when you are asked to replace a chit on the board with others from the box--you need to know which ones to dig out). Also, as mentioned, better quality troops have a higher cost when choosing them while using the Random Scenario Generator. But otherwise, there are not a lot of other differences as far as I can recall. It's not like Elite troops can take actions that Regular cannot; it's mainly to explain why some counters have better numbers than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
It's not like Elite troops can take actions that Regular cannot; it's mainly to explain why some counters have better numbers than others.

If their stats are boxed, they may.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks,

It may sound weird but I've been reading the manuals front to back (and the playbook) trying to figure out if I missed something. :-)

Really appreciate the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tut_613 wrote:
It may sound weird but I've been reading the manuals front to back (and the playbook) trying to figure out if I missed something. :-)

Hint: use the PDF version of the rules to solve such mysteries.

E.g. searching "Elite" in the rules PDF file immediately reveals A36 (Light Wounds) and E52 (Deploy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.