Brian Nairb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever we play, someone will knock a piece around while moving, whether it be their own piece or someone else's. It will generally only be a tiny amount, but we don't fret much about it. Especially when we're playing on just a table, the piece your moving gets adjusted a little bit when lining it up with the movement template.

So are you super meticulous about where your ships are? Do you allow any adjusting? What do you do if someone knocks a piece? I realize that a slight adjustment can affect the entire outcome of a game; whether you can shoot someone or not, or whether you hit an asteroid or not, etc.

I like to play with sort of an assumed angle rule; I assume that when placing my ships starting out, I'm placing them perpendicular to the starting edge. So if I move forward and realize that I'm off a few degrees, I'll adjust the ship's angle to compensate.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You know that scene where old Ben Kenobi slices off that dude's arm in the cantina...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
You know that scene where old Ben Kenobi slices off that dude's arm in the cantina...

You mean this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Whittaker
United States
Andrews AFB
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb
Human error is definitely an issue in this game especially with how easily the ship bases can slip on a table. I've only ever played with friends so we just do our best to keep it fair. We try to be reasonable with all the bumping and sliding. How is this handled in tournaments? Are you disqualified? I could see how people would be really mad if you messed up their formation or something. The ease of making mistakes, however, seems to call for some leniency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the tournaments I've been in, folks try to replace things where they were, or they'll get assistance in carefully displacing and replacing ships during a move or LOS check. Deliberately banging on the table is right out and habitually fussing with your ships is frowned on.

And you have to measure the move for every ship. No wheels where one ship moves and the rest are picked up and reformed around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course they were aligned at the start of the game. Of course they're not aligned after a few maneuvers. That's the way things are, maneuvers are only as precise as possible with the margins of human and template error. But, moving and adjusting things will not make them the slightest bit more precise, and is way too prone for manipulation and sleight of hand.

If I were TO and saw one player do that, I'd first issue a warning and then, if he doesn't stop it, probably disqualify him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
If I'm playing someone and they continually fuss with their pieces after movement or something always gets bumped if its a close call. I would call the player on it once and if it continues to happen call over the judge. I'm usually pretty easing going and will put up with a lot but at some point you have to put your foot down. My group understands stuff happens and the ships can easily get knocked around. We try to help get the ships set back up properly but if there is every a question we error on the side of the defender and position accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dawson
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along
badge
Need to put something witty here
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to just live with the fact that things will get nudged or knocked during play. If a ship gets moved out of place a fair bit, then I would replace it as best I could and look for agreement from the other player, that they are happy with the placement. It has worked out okay so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends on the situation.

If I'm playing a friend, we have a certain understanding. Some of my friends likes to put everything back as they where, at close as possible. Some of my friends doesn't care that much. I've gotten both of these reactions at tournaments too.

Now, I have very nervous hands. My hands shakes quite a bit and I always tell my opponents this at tournaments beforehand. And I always allows THEM to put the ships back in order, if they want to. Because it is my fault and therefore I shouldn't be the one to "profit" from the situation.

Allowing the other person to reposition the ships accordingly makes up for most of the irritation that your opponents will feel, because they now know that you really aren't doing it on purpose.

Even in tournaments I've never had an issue, no one has ever warned me, no one has ever called the supervisor and due to my otherwise casual style of play, I've often received praise for both being open, fair and easy to play against (not tactically or luck-wise).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only think it's fair that the opponent of the person who bumps a ship gets to put it back where it goes when possible. I think that's courteous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo W
Germany
flag msg tools
Weight your bases to avoid ships tilting over.
Give the base a rough bottom surface to stop them sliding around.

It's tournament legal to weight the bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Udo77 wrote:
Weight your bases to avoid ships tilting over.
Give the base a rough bottom surface to stop them sliding around.

It's tournament legal to weight the bases.

THIS. Just make sure the weight you add is flush with, or less than, the recess molded into the base. If it protrudes, it's not legal. (many hardware store washers are too thick.)

Between the weight I glued in and the felt I play on, my bases are very stable. That said, I personally try to be as precise as I can be. First touch the base, hold it gently but firmly. Place movement template. Touch and hold template gently but firmly. Place miniature as indicated. I really like precision, and knowing how often the difference is a gnat's whisker between being in arc or not in arc, I want to play where the difference is made by skill and not by imprecision.

I have a friend who grabs his minis by the stem when he goes to put down the movement, and it rotates the mini in place before the template even hits. Drives me up the wall. DUDE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Cocquyt
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
My local league plays on mats made from drawer liner. Super sticky.

When we need to move through a ship you can just tip it over and the edge will stay in the same place on the mat. Rotate it back up when you're done with your movement templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.