Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the new laser cut balsa wood arena from Hurlbat games!
It's very affordable - comes in around 40-45 pounds which is only ~$65.00. Looks nice as is, no painting required. The hex map is slightly larger than the gameboard for Spartacus, but it's close enough - you could either use the larger board - or just declare a couple of hex rows off limits.

http://www.hurlbat.co.uk/index.php/28mm-plywood-gladiator-ar...

Shipping was reasonable too. I just got mine and am very happy with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see some pictures of it in action. The web site does not let me see anything more than a tiny thumbnail on my Android tablet.

Edit: It worked from a PC, as I suspected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do you know the dimensions? is the 'arena floor' about the same size as the Spartacus game boards? thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
do you know the dimensions? is the 'arena floor' about the same size as the Spartacus game boards? thanks...
Spartacus's arena is a huge hexagon; each side is 5 small hexes long. Two opposing apexes omit one hex.

From its pictures, Hurbat's arena is a huge hexagon that is 6 hexes long on each side. Only one apex is omitting a hex.

In short, Hurbat's arena is larger, but I guess you could use something to block out those excess hexes or shade it with a marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The arena floor is about 11.5" in diameter, which should be about the right size to just omit the floor and place the arena on top of the Spartacus gameboard. But I haven't tried it yet. I'll post again when I get a chance.

Otherwise, yes, the poster above has the right of it. You'd have to mark some hexes as out of bounds if you wanted to reproduce the Spartacus board configuration. The hexes are a bit smaller in the Hurlbat arena too, but the minis bases still fit in - snugly but nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
VillainousEye wrote:
The arena floor is about 11.5" in diameter, which should be about the right size to just omit the floor and place the arena on top of the Spartacus gameboard. But I haven't tried it yet. I'll post again when I get a chance.

That would be great!

If you want the complete arena do you order one of each piece in that list, or can you elect to repeat some sections while skipping others and still assemble it into an arena?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
VillainousEye wrote:

That would be great!

If you want the complete arena do you order one of each piece in that list, or can you elect to repeat some sections while skipping others and still assemble it into an arena?
I believe the link itself notes what exact pcs you need to order to create what you see in the pic (small print, if I remember right)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
You need a total of 8 pieces, in any configuration. (I imagine you wouldn't want 8 grand entrances).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Theissen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be a must have when I finally pull the trigger on this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
The images I uploaded to the games's gallery show this arena.

I am using an Ikea Lack tabletop as a base - it's a 55cm square base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, but it seems you posted your pictures to the wrong game gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep
I have asked for them to be moved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The arena does fit on the Spartacus game board, but the game board has an oval arena and the model arena cuts off part of the peripheral hexes on the long axis. It's still workable, especially if you spread a couple of sections out a bit. I haven't actually assembled the arena, so I didn't take a picture. I just tried the base pieces of the sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that as well. I printed a hex grid and used that as a guide to scribe lines in the blue foam I used as a base. The hexes are smaller thanused on the game board but I don't think that matters as the painted miniatures I will be using fit in them OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Whitmore
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi, Kris from Hurlbat here.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

If someone would like to send me the details of the Spartacus board I will make a design and make it available. The basic arena floor is a 300mm (approx 1 foot) diameter circle and I can mark it in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kris. I just got my arena and it's fabulous. Thanks. I bought it because of people's comments on this forum.

The hexes on the floor of the Spartacus board are slightly elongated, but if you were to make your 300mm diameter floor with 30mm hexes so that each side had 5 hexes, that would be good. On the actual board, two hexes opposite each other are missing (on corners) so that the starting positions of the gladiators are inset a little. If you were to make such a board, I would buy it.

Peter Cooper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris just contacted me directly with a pdf of his design based on my description. It looks exactly like the layout of the hexes on the game board. I would like to say a public thank you to him for his response. Hopefully lots of people will buy the board when it's ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flex Dolphynn
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kris, thanks for modifying it for us Spartacus enthusiasts.

Can the arena be taken apart into flat pieces for storage?
I would assume it ships unassembled. Are there any difficulties with repeatedly tearing it down and reassembling before play?

Any estimate of shipping to the US?

If you wanted to make it perfect for Spartacus, there are 4 areas on the Spartacus board that are not found on the Hurlbat arena.
The 4 corners of the board allow for betting, either on combatant I or combatant II, and you can also bet on Injury or Decapitation.
If I purchased the Hurlbat arena I would replace one of the terraces with a second holding cell. The tops of the holding cells look to be excellent locations for the betting areas. Although they are each divided into 3 flat partitions on top, one of those has a trapdoor on it. So on the other 2 flat partitions I would place a I and II indicator, and on the second set of 2 from the extra holding cell I would try to indicate injury or decapitation areas, though I am not exactly sure how I shall do this.

I totally want this arena, just worried about storage space and transportation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you place the made up arena on top of the playing board, the four corners with the gambling areas on them are fully visible/accessible. However, the arena has high walls, so I would suggest that you make four of the audience areas into those gambling areas instead - I have seen a number of pictures on this site where people have made their own models with that kind of format.

As to the building and storage - It comes flat packed, and I imagine you can build it and flat pack it, but it's a bit long winded to do it this way. I have built up (and glued) the 8 outer sections and store them made up in a shopping bag!!! The area floor comes in two parts which don't have to be glued. I imagine the new arena floor will, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.