Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Congrats. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Do any of you genuinely think that an armed citizenry would successfully resist government?


I do in the right circumstances, at least theoretically. I doubt civilian gun ownership would be the deciding factor though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's difficult (outside of Hollywood soundstages) to imagine a scenario where there's a nation-wide armed revolution in this country. Democracy, even the far-from-perfect version we practice here, is too deeply rooted for any despot to ever successfully seize and hold power. It's much easier to see that such a would-be dictator would be immediately arrested and sent to jail. Democracy is the only thing we've ever known here, so no American would tolerate an overt grab for power, and the military would never support such a power grab.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
I favor lots of gun control measures, but this is silly. If you want to engage with the argument from insurrection, engage with the most reasonable version of it. True, it's absurd to suggest that a deeply committed, unified attempt by our armed forces to subjugate the citizenry would be doomed to failure because of individual gun ownership. But it's obviously true that the more armed the citizenry, the more costly that would be. The more costly it would be (and the harsher the methods necessary to succeed), the less likely it is that the armed forces would remain united. All of this means that plentiful private guns deter such a military coup.

So the point shouldn't be that individual gun ownership is worthless for resisting the government. Instead, it's better to weigh the horrific human costs against this benefit, and contrast individual gun ownership with other means of reducing the probability of a successful seizure of tyrannical power through military force (such as mandatory military service or enhanced civilian control).

I give those who take the insurrectionist defense of the second amendment seriously credit for recognizing that it would be bad if the interests of the strongest military in the world were weighted over the interests of the general public. That they think they have the solution which will prevent this is particularly distressing when I consider the extent to which it's already the case.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Everyone should have a bullet proof vest. I have 3 of them. Everyone should probably have 3 bullet proof vests, for, you know, FREEDOM.

How many guns do you own? Equal amounts of bullet proof vests are entirely appropriate. If you buy another gun, .. you guessed right - Buy another bullet proof vest! The concept is not that hard to get, it just depends on how FREE you want to be.

There is nothing more important than FREEDOM, gentlemen.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the shooting was in a class (and not on the way to school) are they seriously suggesting that kids should try and do lessons wearing rucksacks? This reminds me of the retards who brought flack vets in the wake of 11/9, yep a flack vest will save you in the event of an aircraft crashing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Given that the shooting was in a class (and not on the way to school) are they seriously suggesting that kids should try and do lessons wearing rucksacks? This reminds me of the retards who brought flack vets in the wake of 11/9, yep a flack vest will save you in the event of an aircraft crashing.


Having something bullet proof to hide behind is better than not having something bullet proof to hide behind in the very unlikely event you are hiding in a corner while a gunman is shooting randomly. It isn't that expensive and it is an easy thing to do if it makes you feel better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Given that the shooting was in a class (and not on the way to school) are they seriously suggesting that kids should try and do lessons wearing rucksacks? This reminds me of the retards who brought flack vets in the wake of 11/9, yep a flack vest will save you in the event of an aircraft crashing.


Having something bullet proof to hide behind is better than not having something bullet proof to hide behind in the very unlikely event you are hiding in a corner while a gunman is shooting randomly. It isn't that expensive and it is an easy thing to do if it makes you feel better.
Not being shot at is even better. But it does not alter the fact that if these are to be effective they will have to be worn at all times when in school, I find this ironic. We should turn turn our schools into prisons, but we should turn each child into one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Given that the shooting was in a class (and not on the way to school) are they seriously suggesting that kids should try and do lessons wearing rucksacks? This reminds me of the retards who brought flack vets in the wake of 11/9, yep a flack vest will save you in the event of an aircraft crashing.


Having something bullet proof to hide behind is better than not having something bullet proof to hide behind in the very unlikely event you are hiding in a corner while a gunman is shooting randomly. It isn't that expensive and it is an easy thing to do if it makes you feel better.
Not being shot at is even better. But it does not alter the fact that if these are to be effective they will have to be worn at all times when in school, I find this ironic. We should turn turn our schools into prisons, but we should turn each child into one.


I will admit to not researching the proper use of the bulletproof backpack but I don't think it is to wear it all day in case you get shoot in the small area of your back it is protecting. The purpose is to hide behind it while hiding under the desk so a stray bullet might be deflected by a gunman going room to room shooting at random. It is a lot like the flotation cushions on an airplane which I think never get used but add only a very small cost to an airplane. There is going to be a backpack on the floor next to every kids desk, why not make it bullet proof?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't kept next to the desks, but in cubbies along a wall.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
They aren't kept next to the desks, but in cubbies along a wall.


In my kids classes they hang of a hook on the side of the desks. The giant roller back packs that are in style will not fit in the cubbies.

I am sure at your school you can work out drills where everyone runs to their cubby and grabs their backpack before hiding under their desk.

Edit: And the other kids can mock the kid who doesn't have his own bulletproof backpack and has to run to the teacher for a school issued one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are given size specifications, my daughters class was not allowed to get the large roller board backpacks due to the cubby size, but my son was as their cubbies were bigger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see an arms race developing where the gun and bullet manufactures are also make the body armor and backpacks...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Given that the shooting was in a class (and not on the way to school) are they seriously suggesting that kids should try and do lessons wearing rucksacks? This reminds me of the retards who brought flack vets in the wake of 11/9, yep a flack vest will save you in the event of an aircraft crashing.


Having something bullet proof to hide behind is better than not having something bullet proof to hide behind in the very unlikely event you are hiding in a corner while a gunman is shooting randomly. It isn't that expensive and it is an easy thing to do if it makes you feel better.
Not being shot at is even better. But it does not alter the fact that if these are to be effective they will have to be worn at all times when in school, I find this ironic. We should turn turn our schools into prisons, but we should turn each child into one.


I will admit to not researching the proper use of the bulletproof backpack but I don't think it is to wear it all day in case you get shoot in the small area of your back it is protecting. The purpose is to hide behind it while hiding under the desk so a stray bullet might be deflected by a gunman going room to room shooting at random. It is a lot like the flotation cushions on an airplane which I think never get used but add only a very small cost to an airplane. There is going to be a backpack on the floor next to every kids desk, why not make it bullet proof?
Why do children have backpacks under their desk?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I can see an arms race developing where the gun and bullet manufactures are also make the body armor and backpacks...


I don't see that happening, at least not with backpacks, there main purpose it to make parents feel better.

I did just finish reading Tom Clancey's "Against all Enemies" where the Mexican drug lord was in to bullet proof designer suits and trench coats, which he manufactured in Columbia, and the cartels hit men favored "Mata Policia" pistols because the can cut through police body armor. I could see the armored suit maker/armor piercing bullets arms race.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Given that the shooting was in a class (and not on the way to school) are they seriously suggesting that kids should try and do lessons wearing rucksacks? This reminds me of the retards who brought flack vets in the wake of 11/9, yep a flack vest will save you in the event of an aircraft crashing.


Having something bullet proof to hide behind is better than not having something bullet proof to hide behind in the very unlikely event you are hiding in a corner while a gunman is shooting randomly. It isn't that expensive and it is an easy thing to do if it makes you feel better.
Not being shot at is even better. But it does not alter the fact that if these are to be effective they will have to be worn at all times when in school, I find this ironic. We should turn turn our schools into prisons, but we should turn each child into one.


I will admit to not researching the proper use of the bulletproof backpack but I don't think it is to wear it all day in case you get shoot in the small area of your back it is protecting. The purpose is to hide behind it while hiding under the desk so a stray bullet might be deflected by a gunman going room to room shooting at random. It is a lot like the flotation cushions on an airplane which I think never get used but add only a very small cost to an airplane. There is going to be a backpack on the floor next to every kids desk, why not make it bullet proof?
Why do children have backpacks under their desk?


To not block the aisles? That is where they put the backpacks at my children's school, the elementary school any way not sure what they do at my son's high school.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Given that the shooting was in a class (and not on the way to school) are they seriously suggesting that kids should try and do lessons wearing rucksacks? This reminds me of the retards who brought flack vets in the wake of 11/9, yep a flack vest will save you in the event of an aircraft crashing.


Having something bullet proof to hide behind is better than not having something bullet proof to hide behind in the very unlikely event you are hiding in a corner while a gunman is shooting randomly. It isn't that expensive and it is an easy thing to do if it makes you feel better.
Not being shot at is even better. But it does not alter the fact that if these are to be effective they will have to be worn at all times when in school, I find this ironic. We should turn turn our schools into prisons, but we should turn each child into one.


I will admit to not researching the proper use of the bulletproof backpack but I don't think it is to wear it all day in case you get shoot in the small area of your back it is protecting. The purpose is to hide behind it while hiding under the desk so a stray bullet might be deflected by a gunman going room to room shooting at random. It is a lot like the flotation cushions on an airplane which I think never get used but add only a very small cost to an airplane. There is going to be a backpack on the floor next to every kids desk, why not make it bullet proof?
Why do children have backpacks under their desk?


To not block the aisles? That is where they put the backpacks at my children's school, the elementary school any way not sure what they do at my son's high school.
Sorry I shall have to rephrase that, why have they got back backpacks? Also why would a stray bullet strike them from one direction? Is it in fact more likely that if you are firing bu lets at random into a room they will be bouncing off surfaces and striking the back as well as the front?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question, in the Connecticut shooting he walked into the two classes and systematically shot the kinds at close range, how would these backpacks have saved them, after all they can only protect one side of the body?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sorry I shall have to rephrase that, why have they got back backpacks?

Every kid at the elementary school I go to has a backpack.

Quote:
Also why would a stray bullet strike them from one direction? Is it in fact more likely that if you are firing bu lets at random into a room they will be bouncing off surfaces and striking the back as well as the front?


Yes ricochet is a problem, I don't know if a stray bullet is more likely to hit you in the front of the back, guessing the people they are selling these backpacks to don't know either. In Connecticut, in one class they were hiding in a bathroom and in another a closet. I would think hiding in a small space like that would cut down on ricochet.

Quote:
Another question, in the Connecticut shooting he walked into the two classes and systematically shot the kinds at close range, how would these backpacks have saved them, after all they can only protect one side of the body?


Most likely they would not. In both classrooms they heard the shoots outside and were trying to hide. It would not have been hard to shoot around a backpack but it is not impossible that a child could have been saved by one either.

There were also hundreds of other kids in the school hiding in corners that might have felt better if the knew their backpack was bullet proof.

I am not going to run out and buy one but I could see why someone would.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
This is a thread for uninformed morons. So, being an informed moron I'll clue you uninformed morons in... especially the one living in a fucking sheep pasture on a small island about 250,000 miles from America who thinks he knows anything about America.

This story is representative of a few people here and there, sprinkled around a landscape that is over 3,000 miles wide, holds 315 million people and is, if anything, a mosaic of difference, a kaleidoscope of wonder and amazing people who almost never act in unison. So that means the bullet-proof backpack is an anomaly. An invisible microscopic aspect of life for an insignificant few people who apparently are only newsworthy in the UK.

Sorry. I know this will be a shock to the morons who live in The British Empire and think they have a clue but - gun owners in America don't believe the government here is Commie. Almost nobody outside of very specific urban enclaves fears their children will get shot at school. Which is accurate, because given the huge number of children and the vast number of schools, the chances are so tiny that most parents correctly worry about other drivers, rogue PE teachers making kids run till they vomit, lightning strikes and Earth/asteroid collisions. All of which are many orders of magnitude more likely.

Hopefully you guys will learn how truly stupid you appear when you get on these obscure tangents that are usually only traveled by blithering idiots. I mean it, idiots. Who the fuck else is going to dither back and forth about where backpacks are stored in a classroom? Who the fuck cares? Don't answer that... I know the answer... blithering idiots care about this stuff.

Okay now. Feel better informed now? Excellent!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sorry I shall have to rephrase that, why have they got back backpacks?

Every kid at the elementary school my kids go to has a backpack.

Quote:
Also why would a stray bullet strike them from one direction? Is it in fact more likely that if you are firing bu lets at random into a room they will be bouncing off surfaces and striking the back as well as the front?


Yes ricochet is a problem, I don't know if a stray bullet is more likely to hit you in the front of the back, guessing the people they are selling these backpacks to don't know either. In Connecticut, in one class they were hiding in a bathroom and in another a closet. I would think hiding in a small space like that would cut down on ricochet.

Quote:
Another question, in the Connecticut shooting he walked into the two classes and systematically shot the kinds at close range, how would these backpacks have saved them, after all they can only protect one side of the body?


Most likely they would not. In both classrooms they heard the shoots outside and were trying to hide. It would not have been hard to shoot around a backpack but it is not impossible that a child could have been saved by one either.

There were also hundreds of other kids in the school hiding in corners that might have felt better if the knew their backpack was bullet proof.

I am not going to run out and buy one but I could see why someone would.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry I shall have to rephrase that, why have they got back backpacks?

Every kid at the elementary school I go to has a backpack.
So they have backpacks...because they have backpacks?

Quote:
Also why would a stray bullet strike them from one direction? Is it in fact more likely that if you are firing bu lets at random into a room they will be bouncing off surfaces and striking the back as well as the front?


Yes ricochet is a problem, I don't know if a stray bullet is more likely to hit you in the front of the back, guessing the people they are selling these backpacks to don't know either. In Connecticut, in one class they were hiding in a bathroom and in another a closet. I would think hiding in a small space like that would cut down on ricochet.[/q]As they were not shot I am not sure they would have been much safer with body armour. Also hiding under your desk is not the same as trying to fit a load of kins and their armored backpacks into a cupboard.
Quote:


Quote:
Another question, in the Connecticut shooting he walked into the two classes and systematically shot the kinds at close range, how would these backpacks have saved them, after all they can only protect one side of the body?


Most likely they would not. In both classrooms they heard the shoots outside and were trying to hide. It would not have been hard to shoot around a backpack but it is not impossible that a child could have been saved by one either.

There were also hundreds of other kids in the school hiding in corners that might have felt better if the knew their backpack was bullet proof.

I am not going to run out and buy one but I could see why someone would.



So (as I said) this really is a bit of a waste of money, it does not provide protection but the illusion of protection.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

An invisible microscopic aspect of life for an insignificant few people who apparently are only newsworthy in the UK.


And in the US

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/bulletproof-backpac...

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12-20/business/36018...

I like how this article pretty much admits the real value of these backpacks is psychological.

I had never heard of it before this post.




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
This is a thread for uninformed morons. So, being an informed moron I'll clue you uninformed morons in... especially the one living in a fucking sheep pasture on a small island about 250,000 miles from America who thinks he knows anything about America.

This story is representative of a few people here and there, sprinkled around a landscape that is over 3,000 miles wide, holds 315 million people and is, if anything, a mosaic of difference, a kaleidoscope of wonder and amazing people who almost never act in unison. So that means the bullet-proof backpack is an anomaly. An invisible microscopic aspect of life for an insignificant few people who apparently are only newsworthy in the UK.

Sorry. I know this will be a shock to the morons who live in The British Empire and think they have a clue but - gun owners in America don't believe the government here is Commie. Almost nobody outside of very specific urban enclaves fears their children will get shot at school. Which is accurate, because given the huge number of children and the vast number of schools, the chances are so tiny that most parents correctly worry about other drivers, rogue PE teachers making kids run till they vomit, lightning strikes and Earth/asteroid collisions. All of which are many orders of magnitude more likely.

Hopefully you guys will learn how truly stupid you appear when you get on these obscure tangents that are usually only traveled by blithering idiots. I mean it, idiots. Who the fuck else is going to dither back and forth about where backpacks are stored in a classroom? Who the fuck cares? Don't answer that... I know the answer... blithering idiots care about this stuff.

Okay now. Feel better informed now? Excellent!
No, as it explains nothing as to why this is thought of as needed (or how common it is). Also http://abcnews.go.com/US/minnesota-school-district-introduci..., so it would appear it is considered newsworthy in America. Why therefore should assume you are anymore correct about the rest of your rant?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
So (as I said) this really is a bit of a waste of money, it does not provide protection but the illusion of protection.


You say that like it is a bad thing. The illusion of protection is perfect for combating the illusion of danger from school shooting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
So (as I said) this really is a bit of a waste of money, it does not provide protection but the illusion of protection.


You say that like it is a bad thing. The illusion of protection is perfect for combating the illusion of danger from school shooting.
I think dead children put pay to the idea that the danger from school shootings are an illusion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.