Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Preparing for Regionals - Jinteki:PE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've signed up for my "local" regionals, but I'm living far away from everything at the moment (including other gamers) so I'm not really able to practice. I'm running GNU/Linux and don't have Windows install media handy, so I can't get OCTGN in a VM. So I'm in need of some deckbuilding advice. I have 3 cores and all data packs up to Cyber Exodus, and I doubt my Special Order for ASiS will turn up in time.

I've put together the following Jinteki:PE deck, based on the following principles:

- I want to proc the identity as much as possible, so use the lowest valued agendas available.
- Fetal AI is hard to score, so only 2 of them.
- Apart from Fetal AI, every other agenda can be scored from an unadvanced state using Trick of Light.
- A scored PSF makes Snare! especially nasty.
- Snare! and Edge of World are the obvious matching traps for unadvanced agendas.
- The ICE selection is necessarily cheap and porous. I want to benefit from the inevitable runs, hence Pop-up Window and Shadow for money, Ice Wall and Shadow as Trick of Light batteries, and Matrix Analyzer to help charge them.
- Because the ICE is so weak, the metaprogramming code gates (Chum and Sensei) are necessary to give them teeth.
- PAD Campaign is trashbait, not a critical part of the engine. Putting spares in a little remote, behind a Data Mine, Pop-up Window or Matrix Analyzer makes it a good trade to have them run and trashed.

Who here has experience with this sort of deck? Do you see any glaring weaknesses? I'm considering swapping out the PAD Campaigns for Zaibatsu Loyalty, because expose effects against porous ICE towers really suck.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core)

Total Cards: (54)

Agenda: (11)
Braintrust (What Lies Ahead) x3
Fetal AI (Trace Amount) x2
Private Security Force (Core) x3
Nisei MK II (Core) x3

Asset: (9)
Snare! (Core) x3
Edge of World (Cyber Exodus) x3
PAD Campaign (Core) x3

ICE: (23)
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Snowflake (What Lies Ahead) x3
Matrix Analyzer (Core) x2 ■■
Shadow (Core) x3 ■
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus) x3 ■
Chum (Core) x3
Sensei (Trace Amount) x3
Data Mine (Core) x3

Operation: (11)
Sunset (Cyber Exodus) x3
Trick of Light (Trace Amount) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Beanstalk Royalties (Core) x2 ■

Upgrade: (0)

Total Agenda Points: 22

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 0
Jinteki: 42
NBN: 7
The Weyland Consortium: 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
why sunset? take some precognition instead

I find private contracts are good in jinteki because often you sit around and wait for the runner to run your traps.

fetal ai is really nasty, i would suggest 3 and remove a psf

you need false leads to make those traps even deadlier. losing two clicks = can't draw two cards. you can then psf them or EMP them to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, I see the point of Sunset, given that you're using Chum and Sensei, the latter of which I "see the point of" in much the same way, but it is not a point that wins very many games, in my experience.

I mean, Sensei's useless in front of Data Mine, and all it does in front of your walls is cost the runner one more credit (two if they're running Aurora and no E3, God help 'em, zero if they're running Battering Ram (edit: okay, to be fair, it does make Snowflake less porous)). It's a little better with your other code gates (unless of course they're running Gordian), so the only ice it really shines with is Shadow. Hey, speaking of which, why no Katana?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your comments.

I would love to run False Lead but I don't have A Study in Static.

johncraven: I think I will do -1 PSF, +1 Fetal AI. It's a question of how readily the runner can pay the extra cost to steal it, because I won't be able to 1-turn-score it like the 4/2 agendas.

Precognition over Sunset is probably a good idea as it looks more generally useful. Especially if I rethink Sensei. -3 Sunset, +3 Precognition.

kobold47: You're right about Sensei being bad with the Barriers, but I put it in mainly to harden up the Sentries and other Code Gates. The omission of Neural Katana was a pretty big oversight and it works pretty well with Sensei. I'll probably do -1 Chum, -1 Sensei, +2 Neural Katana.

EDIT: Red Herrings or Ash 2X3ZB9CY would be nice as extra protection, given that there's not a lot of stopping power in the ICE. Any ideas on what should change to make that happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. As for making room for Ash or Herrings, it's tricky, since basically everything except the Matrix Analyzers and Ice Walls is econ. You could probably skim off a couple points of influence anywhere, but to my mind, the main choice is between Beanstalks and Analyzers. If you want to try parting with the Beanstalks, johncraven's Private Contracts suggestion might soften the blow a bit: +1 PC, +1 Ash/Herrings -2 Beanstalks (possibly losing an Analyzer if you want a second Herrings). If you do need the Beanstalks after all, I'd just lose both Analyzers, which, though a significant part of your engine, seldom seem quite as useful in practice.

Unfortunately, judging whether you have enough money is one of the hardest things to do from a decklist. For a very limited test, I recommend using the the hell out of the deckbuilder's "Sample Hand" function. A few dozen starting hands should give you some sense of your initial cost/credit ratio.

Much as I love Ash, I do think Herrings is a better pick for this deck--you don't need to protect anything but agendas, so Ash's only advantage is his higher trash cost...which is admittedly nice, but again, it comes down to whether you have the credits for it. (edit: oh and of course Herrings synergize with the Fetal better...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Ferguson
United States
Union
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowflake doesn't work that well. If the runner always bids 0 you will be paying every run to try and keep him out. It is great with a Chum or Sensei to force him to break it, but Hunter is even harder to break. Hunter has no extra costs after rez and the tag can be painful is PSF is scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you re: Snowflake, but without it I feel a bit light-on for barriers so I put in Walls of Static instead:

-3 Snowflake
+3 Wall of Static

Several test hands where I shuffled, delt a hand and played 2-3 turns shows that the pieces never quite seem to come together. One of the problems is that the 6 Weyland ICE are the Trick of Light batteries and they never seem to be there at the right time. So I cut back to 49 cards:

-3 Data Mine
-3 PAD Campaign
-1 Fetal AI
-2 Matrix Analyzer
+1 Beanstalk Royalties
+3 Shipment from Kaguya

But even that hasn't been too encouraging. I often saw 1 advancable ICE and Shipment from Kaguya. Also several truly nerve-wracking hands, being totally unused to so little ETR ice. What's clear to me is that I need another ToL target:

-1 Edge of World
-1 Snare!
+2 Project Junebug

With some Junebugs, I have 8 ToL-batteries plus I'm not totally reliant on it as I can advance once or twice during my turn without giving away that it's an agenda.

Now to fit in the Red Herrings.

-3 Shipment from Kaguya
-1 Beanstalk Royalties
+2 Red Herrings
+2 Data Mine

For those just joining us, here's what it now looks like:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (10)
Nisei MK II (Core) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x2
Braintrust (What Lies Ahead) x3
Fetal AI (Trace Amount) x2

Asset: (6)
Snare! (Core) x2
Edge of World (Cyber Exodus) x2
Project Junebug (Core) x2

ICE: (20)
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Shadow (Core) x3 ■
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus) x3 ■
Wall of Static (Core) x3
Neural Katana (Core) x2
Sensei (Trace Amount) x2
Data Mine (Core) x2
Chum (Core) x2

Operation: (11)
Precognition (Core) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Trick of Light (Trace Amount) x3
Beanstalk Royalties (Core) x2 ■

Upgrade: (2)
Red Herrings (Core) x2 ■■

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 0
Jinteki: 40
NBN: 7
The Weyland Consortium: 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denny Early
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been playing Jinteki quite a bit during regional's season and the biggest problem that I constantly ran up against and feel that your deck will have is economy.

Your deck will be doing a lot of advancing of cards and sneaking things through with trick of light. There is a magical 4 credit rule where if you have 4 or more credits runners will think twice about running. If you have less than 4 credits they will run all over you with no fear, and the ice in your deck won't stop them.

The other pattern that I saw a lot is you will get 4-6 points pretty reliably but getting those last 2 points for the win is incredibly hard due to weak ice and the runner having their full rig by then, they'll just run on everything at that point.

Archived memories would be useful if you can figure out how to squeeze it in your whole deck revolves around trick of light so being able to pick them back up out of archives will be helpful.

Melange Mining Corp is great for economy and if you can get at least one pull off of it you will have at least the equivalent of your two Beanstalk Royalties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your new deck build, you might also want to consider dropping Shadow for Enigma and using the extra influence for something like Archival Memories to recycle Trick of Light. Or possible stronger ICE.

I've used Shadow before and while it helps with economy you still need more EtR, plus Shadow's tagging function is not really used in this deck.
EDIT: Sorry just saw the Private Security Forces. Still, I'd reconsider Shadow a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Benzein
Sweden
Sollentuna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Assets to use is a meta decision, for me Melange and Private Contracts has both worked better than PAD (that just gets trashed after you rez it) but it also depends on your playstyle.

Have you found that you have enough ICE for Sensei to do anything?
Also this deck is missing Neural Katana (which will win you games against mediokre runner players), easily takes the place of Sensei. The problem with Snowflake is that you don't want it as the only ICE on a server, but even with only a pop-up outside it I can see it's uses. Still doubtful if it's worth including instead of Wall of Static though since you only need the subroutine to fire 1-2 times to break even costwise.

I would try to get down to 49 cards, probably cutting 3x Sunset (which you don't need without Sensei), 1x Fetal AI, 1x Matrix Analyzer (or Shadow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments everyone.

You're right about Archived Memories being a good addition for recycling ToL, but I really can't see what to cut. Once we start talking about dropping Shadow, the deck's concept really starts to fall apart - it gets really hard to find ToL batteries and the Shadow was meant to help a little with cashflow.

Ilza: cutting to 49 is definitely the right move, but even after that the opening hands felt really unreliable.

I'd like to play around with a deck like this, but without time and opponents to practice on I think I'm going to run something more orthodox at the tournament and save the experimentation for afterwards. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.