Subject: Madman question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Hebert
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
This came up during a game. When you play the Madman card, must you play the +2 Actions before drawing cards? Or can you draw cards and then take +2 Actions?

Thanks, Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play the card you add 2 actions to your pool of actions then return the card to the madman pile and gain cards. You take the actions anytime after resolving the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It kind of surprises me that people are playing Dark Ages without understanding that +2 Actions does not mean play two actions immediately before resolving the rest of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
It kind of surprises me that people are playing Dark Ages without understanding that +2 Actions does not mean play two actions immediately before resolving the rest of the card.

New rule: all cards say +X Mana instead of +X Actions. To play an Action card, you must spend 1 Mana in your Action phase, and you start your turn with 1 Mana.

I wonder if something like that would have saved confusion or added to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeljb wrote:
New rule: all cards say +X Mana instead of +X Actions. To play an Action card, you must spend 1 Mana in your Action phase, and you start your turn with 1 Mana.

It depends: does Dominion still have the mana burn rule?

(I learned recently that Magic had done away with mana burn, which on the one hand, seems like something that would never come into play. Then, on the other hand, maybe they planned to design cards around it, such as one that multiplied the output of lands by 5, or a Sorcery that gave your opponent(s) 10 mana, which they would have to use or suffer the burn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacMog wrote:
Then, on the other hand, maybe they planned to design cards around it, such as one that multiplied the output of lands by 5, or a Sorcery that gave your opponent(s) 10 mana, which they would have to use or suffer the burn.)
That's exactly it, but the cards that they had in mind are more subtle than that. See Near-Death Experience, Omnath, Lous of Mana (imagine what happens when he dies) and the entire Fateful Hour mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
MacMog wrote:
Then, on the other hand, maybe they planned to design cards around it, such as one that multiplied the output of lands by 5, or a Sorcery that gave your opponent(s) 10 mana, which they would have to use or suffer the burn.)
That's exactly it, but the cards that they had in mind are more subtle than that. See Near-Death Experience, Omnath, Lous of Mana (imagine what happens when he dies) and the entire Fateful Hour mechanic.

I remember stacking Mana Flares back in the day, each which doubles the mana output of your lands. Suffered some mana burn from those....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve L

Massachusetts
msg tools
MacMog wrote:
michaeljb wrote:

It depends: does Dominion still have the mana burn rule?

(I learned recently that Magic had done away with mana burn, which on the one hand, seems like something that would never come into play. Then, on the other hand, maybe they planned to design cards around it, such as one that multiplied the output of lands by 5, or a Sorcery that gave your opponent(s) 10 mana, which they would have to use or suffer the burn.)

Mana burn did sometimes come into play. You could use it yourself. At the end of your opponent's turn, mana burn yourself down to a low life total. During your upkeep, activate your Mirror Universe or your Soul Conduit.

Alternately, it could be used against you. If your opponent casts a huge Fireball at your head, and you Mana Drain it, you'd better have something to spend that mana on next turn or you'll be in for a world of hurt. If you could use some but not all of it, you may take less damage from the burn than you would have from the Fireball, but it would still sting a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kern
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
Beaveman wrote:

It would be interesting to see their games. That has to mess up a lot of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
It would, but in this day in age with all (or nearly all) of the Dom sets out, instead of playing them in release order, some people choose to just dive in... either on their on accord, or b/c others are excited enough about Dom to insist some exps added. Given this context, this would seem to be a base game error, hopefully. It would've been REALLY interesting to go through the whole series of Dom playing it this way wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.