Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: During a Tourney can Empire fight Empire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ Abate
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
My friend is saying during a tourney you must bring 2 full 100 point armies due to the fact you can not fight rebel vs rebel and empire vs empire.

He was saying that if you go up against the same faction you must flip a coin and the winner gets choice. The loser must use the other faction.

So what's the official verdict?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Manley
United States
Maplewood
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd ask him were any tourny rules say that. Every local one I've been to have had Imp on Imp and Reb on Reb action.....that sounds dirty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like an interesting variant, but at the Kessel run here, I played against 2 imperials, one rebel with my imperials, then faced off against the falcon with slave one to win the championship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Abate
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
TheFlatline wrote:
Your friends needs to read the rules. So do you.

http://fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support/faq...

I've read the downloaded tourney rules and it says you can fight mirror matches.
----------------------------
A mirror match is a match between two players who are using the same faction. Tournament seeding
does not favor Rebel vs Imperial matches, so mirror matches will occur. If players using the same
faction are paired for a match, all normal game rules apply. Each player may field cards with unique
names even if his opponent is using a card with the same unique name.
To facilitate a mirror match, both players are required to assign ID tokens to each of his ships, including
ships with unique names. One player must exclusively use ID tokens with the white numerals facing
outward, and his opponent must exclusively use ID tokens with the black numerals facing outward. If
players cannot agree upon color assignment, the winner of a coin toss chooses the color of their
ID tokens.
When a player assigns maneuver dials, he must assign them to Ship cards rather than placing them next
to ship bases. This prevents a player from mistaking his opponent’s dials for his own
----------------------------

Apparently he hasn't because he said in the first paragraph of the book it says you can't fight against your same faction.

I duno where he came up with the coin flip and having to bring 100 points of both factions from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
The closest you can get is step 1 of setup:

Players agree on which factions to control. One player controls Rebels while the other controls Imperials. If players cannot agree, randomly assign factions.

However, this is generally due to component limitations. If you really have 16 TIEs and want to fight an imp vs imp swarm or a rebel vs rebel skirmish, whose to say you can't?

There's also nothing stopping you from fielding Luke and Vader in one father-son tag-team squad if you really wanted. You couldn't do it in a tournament, though. It's actually kind of weird that the tournament rules are more permissive about mirror matches than casual play by the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end there's nothing in the game mechanically that prohibits you from flying whatever fighters you want to on a given side. The ONLY restriction so far is crew slots, unless you just say "Rebel only" means it can only be placed on a rebel ship in any kind of list.

I think it would be cool to run a YT-1300 as an Imperial NARC ship with an attendant squadron of fighters being discovered by a casual rebel squadron for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.