Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I was crazy about this game for a long time. Most of my plays were solo and only a couple friends liked it so I eventually turned to other boardgames. I just wasn't as excited for the hobbit expansions for some reason so I figured I'd take a break. Am I missing out? The new expansions are like $25 each and I'm considering just scooping up all three and going nuts but I don't know if it's worth it. Are you guys as stoked about the game as you used to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Been out of the game since the Khazad-Dum cycke wrapped up . Someone convince me to get the three new deluxe expansions.
Not sure what you mean by "the new expansions are $25." Action Packs (card decks) are just over $10 online and the expansions (boxed sets such as Khazad-Dum and The Hobbit) are $20 as well.

But yes, it is a money suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Miller
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
the two hobbit ones and HON. With tax and everything probably $75 or so for all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two Hobbit sets are quite different in flavour to the earlier adventure packs in that they attempt to exactly replcate scenes from The Hobbit. For example, when crossing the Misty Mountains, you will always be captured by the goblins, because that is what happened in the book. The quests feel a bit like problem-solving exercises - you have to figure out how you are supposed to defeat the quest and then build a deck to do it. If you just build a general-purpose deck, these quests can be extremely difficult to complete.

The Hobbit quests are more complicated in play than the earlier quests - there are often several cards in play which interact to dramatically change the feel of the game. For example, during the first Hobbit quest, there are three unique trolls which all have special abilities which affect game play, a Troll Cave, a Troll Camp, a Troll Key, a Troll Purse, all of which have interactions with each other and are often in play at the same time. Other quests introduce concepts like multiple staging areas and multiple active quest stages.

The Hobbit sets contain good player cards (particularly if you like dwarves) and allow you to build extremly powerful dwarf-themed decks. Thematically, the events in The Hobbit happen many years earlier than the narrative on LotR, and some Tolkien fans may feel uncomfortable about mixing the named characters between the sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game sucks, and it's probably time for you to sell your cards.

In separate news, I'd like to buy your old cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hobbit box sets are AWESOME. That's all I have to contribute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Forster
United States
Oregon City
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it (if you have the money). They are good expansions.
The Hobbit ones are really thematic. If you know and enjoy the Hobbit book, you will get tons of fun out of how the quests embody the story so well. I especially enjoy the On the Doorstep quests.
Bilbo trying to free all the sleeping dwarves, stealing treasure from a sleeping Smaug, and keeping things together in the Battle of Five Armies! So cool! Each quest has a new mechanism that makes it fresh and interesting (and sometimes frustrating).
The HoN expansion is good too, but they are all really hard for me. Again, interesting quests, but not based as much on Tolkien's story, and that, combined with the difficulty didn't put it as high up there for me. But it does introduce the Battle and Siege quest keywords that change the game completely from the first cycle.
I recommend them!

The only thing that I really didn't like was the art for the trolls in the Over Hill and Under Hill. They look ridiculous and out of character with the rest of it. I hate that quest because of the terrible art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that the Hobbit sagas are totally worth it. Even if you don't like the Hobbit, they are still a lot of fun as they add some interesting mechanics and fun play elements not seen elsewhere.

I would advise against Heirs of Numenor. FFG made a mistake with this box and made it too difficult for all but a few decks. It's not much fun as a result, as it is too difficult for you to have fun with creative decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:
I would agree that the Hobbit sagas are totally worth it. Even if you don't like the Hobbit, they are still a lot of fun as they add some interesting mechanics and fun play elements not seen elsewhere.

I would advise against Heirs of Numenor. FFG made a mistake with this box and made it too difficult for all but a few decks. It's not much fun as a result, as it is too difficult for you to have fun with creative decks.

I disagree with it being too hard. It just needs you to use attack and defense instead of willpower. Which I think leads to more creative decks.

I really liked the Heirs of Numenor set for that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mjd83 wrote:

On the other hand, you'll need Heirs if you want to play the scenarios in the Against the Shadow cycle. Given that most of those look to be freaking awesome, Heirs is probably worth picking up. The Heirs scenarios are pretty difficult right now, but they're nice if you're in the mood for a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjd83 wrote:

Hmm. I'd say that, while the HoN quests are insanely hard, we don't know how the game will evolve over the next cycle. It's likely that these quests will become more manageable once Against the Shadow's out.

I've beaten Pelargir most times I've played it, using decks based on Tales from the Cards' strategy article. Ithilien is a massive punch to the groin, in terms of difficulty, while Cair Andros is just loads of fun, even when you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... but would all three of you recommend HoN to a new player, in regards to the OP? I'm far from new and own the entire card pool and they are VERY difficult for me (I play solo and refuse to use Dain Ironfoot).

I wouldn't, it's a good way to get somebody disillusioned with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, absolutely not. As per the usual response to the 'which expansion?' question, I'd say 'get them in order'. But I'd also say 'or get the Hobbit boxes and more core sets'.

Edit: don't think the OP's a new player, and has all player cards up to and including Dwarrowdelf - so yes, I'd recommend any or all of those three deluxe expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
The game sucks, and it's probably time for you to sell your cards.

In separate news, I'd like to buy your old cards.

This was seriously funny.thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.