Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Language of games in Essen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yaniv Rozenblat
Israel
Rishon Lezion
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I read the FAQ but found no answer to this -

I am thinking of attending this year and was one of the things I want to do is buy new games that I'll like play-testing or whatnot.

What is the language of the games being sold? is it mostly in German? Or are there usually English versions for all if not most games?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
These days most if not all games include English rules.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Avatar
jsciv wrote:
These days most if not all games include English rules.


Except there might not be English copies available of games who have found a German language publisher like with FFG games.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the sellers offer English versions also (if there is an English version).

There are many exhibitors from other countries than Germany; nearly all of them offer English games and a German rules translation (which in your case wouldn't be necessary meeple).

E.g., when I buy my FFG games at the Heidelbergers, I always buy the original US editions, not the German translations.

Luckily, the Spiel gets more international with every year and attracts people from all over the world.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
jsciv wrote:
These days most if not all games include English rules.


Except there might not be English copies available of games who have found a German language publisher like with FFG games.

FFG also sells the English editions at their booth!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Avatar
PzVIE wrote:
E.g., when I buy my FFG games at the Heidelbergers, I always buy the original US editions, not the German translations.


I read complaints that Heidelberger didn't have the English versions for sale the last time.

I didn't mind since I did not have a need to buy my FFG games at Essen, I was there for the new stuff and the discounts and those were all to be had in English.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Avatar
PzVIE wrote:
Aenea wrote:
jsciv wrote:
These days most if not all games include English rules.


Except there might not be English copies available of games who have found a German language publisher like with FFG games.

FFG also sells the English editions at their booth!


Not last year!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
Aenea wrote:
jsciv wrote:
These days most if not all games include English rules.


Except there might not be English copies available of games who have found a German language publisher like with FFG games.

FFG also sells the English editions at their booth!


Not last year!

Hmmmm ... that may be so - last year I didn't buy anything from them. Well, their loss!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaniv Rozenblat
Israel
Rishon Lezion
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all! This will definitely shift my opinion in favor of attending!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that all of the new top rated games (like Terra Mystica, Tzolkin, Keyflower, etc) released at Essen is in English. Or at least has English rules. Some English copies might sell out fast though.

The rest of the mass market games selling cheap in large quantities, or children's games, are mostly in German. Maybe 25% is in English.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
Avatar
matpe wrote:
The rest of the mass market games selling cheap in large quantities, or children's games, are mostly in German. Maybe 25% is in English.


And many of those are largely language independent!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
E.g., when I buy my FFG games at the Heidelbergers, I always buy the original US editions, not the German translations.


I read complaints that Heidelberger didn't have the English versions for sale the last time.

I didn't mind since I did not have a need to buy my FFG games at Essen, I was there for the new stuff and the discounts and those were all to be had in English.


Sometimes it will happen that the German licencee will have the german version, while the original publisher in another part of Spiel (or in the case of Cranio Creations last year, right across from Heidelberger) will have the english one or other original-language version,
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spike77707 wrote:
Thank you all! This will definitely shift my opinion in favor of attending!

Yaniv, you should definitely do this!
It's the Mekka for gamers meeple
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
spike77707 wrote:
Thank you all! This will definitely shift my opinion in favor of attending!

Yaniv, you should definitely do this!
It's the Mekka for gamers meeple


And then we shall play Yaniv, of course.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Aenea wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
Aenea wrote:
jsciv wrote:
These days most if not all games include English rules.


Except there might not be English copies available of games who have found a German language publisher like with FFG games.

FFG also sells the English editions at their booth!


Not last year!

Hmmmm ... that may be so - last year I didn't buy anything from them. Well, their loss!


That would have been difficult, as FFG wasn't there last year .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
Aenea wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
Aenea wrote:
jsciv wrote:
These days most if not all games include English rules.


Except there might not be English copies available of games who have found a German language publisher like with FFG games.

FFG also sells the English editions at their booth!


Not last year!

Hmmmm ... that may be so - last year I didn't buy anything from them. Well, their loss!


That would have been difficult, as FFG wasn't there last year .


FFG wasn't, but their games were. Anyway, the real reason to go to Spiel is *not* to buy those games every FLGS in the world stocks, but those little titles that you'll probably never see again anywhere.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
That would have been difficult, as FFG wasn't there last year .

Pity, but FFG doesn't participate any more. They let their German distributors (and translaters) sell their games: Heidelberger. I'd love to see them again, as would probably many other international visitors. They are currently the one of the hottest companies for me at the moment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
spike77707 wrote:
Thank you all! This will definitely shift my opinion in favor of attending!

Yaniv, you should definitely do this!
It's the Mekka for gamers meeple


When I started gaming a friend said to me, 'If you go once, you will keep on going back every year!'

I thought I would try it out, see what the fuss is about, not missed one since.

My friend was right!!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.