Hide
11 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: LOS question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Murray
msg tools
I played this game for the first time today. It's fun, but I was curious about the Line of Sight rules. My friend controlled a ranged character that could fire "two tiles away". We had a bit of an argument as to what this meant. Does this mean she could fire through walls and through occupied spaces? I didn't see anything in the rules for line of sight so I'm guessing she could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yes, there are no line of sight rules for magic or bows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Gianthogweed wrote:
I played this game for the first time today. It's fun, but I was curious about the Line of Sight rules. My friend controlled a ranged character that could fire "two tiles away". We had a bit of an argument as to what this meant. Does this mean she could fire through walls and through occupied spaces? I didn't see anything in the rules for line of sight so I'm guessing she could.

There are no LoS rules per se, but, you cannot attack through walls. Imagine you have to be able to walk from your hero to the target to be able to attack them and then you'll have the rule down. Have fun! Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
msg tools
But a hero could walk around a wall. An arrow shouldn't be able to fly around one. I'm thinking of adding LOS house rules because it seems a little strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imagine it like computer games, most of the time the character is crouched behind terrain, only when you fire do you see them animate look around the corner and fire then they return to the cover position,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Scally
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. An arrow fired by an Elf in faux medieval costume oughtn't to be able to fly around a wall on its way to hit a large black spidery man thing if the die roll is higher than 10. This totally lacks realism. Where's my ruler?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gianthogweed wrote:
But a hero could walk around a wall. An arrow shouldn't be able to fly around one. I'm thinking of adding LOS house rules because it seems a little strange.

The official explanation is that the characters are not necessarily planted in a single spot over the course of their attack. Also, that LOS rules introduce a bunch of complications that go against the spirit of the game's design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Enes Ebbesen
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If do try with LOS rules, please post how it goes.
Might be an interesting twist to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
msg tools
I was thinking of incorporating the Descent LOS rules, but decided not to because those rules often lead to confusion (ie in this example: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/970271/another-los-question). I'm growing to like the loose interpretation of LOS that this game has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
My group uses LOS house rules and it works just fine. Things like fire or magic attacks that make sense to go around corners we don't worry about LOS. All 3 games leave a lot up to interpretation with the rules. The rules seem to miss a lot, but this a fun game if you don't get too cought up with the vague rules. We just try to do what makes sense to keep the game moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gianthogweed wrote:
...I'm growing to like the loose interpretation of LOS that this game has.

Me too! I get the definite impression that these very loose rules regarding line of sight were on purpose - maybe to keep the game simple? And truth be told, I do not think LOS for any game could be simplier than in these 3 D&D 4th ed games.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.