Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jane martin
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Hello all,
I'm new in the community and have been busy reading all of the "lists", "recommendations"... for buying kids games. THANK YOU!

I need your help choosing games for my 2 sons (just turned 7 years old)that are very competitive, very sensitive in winning/losing/capturing games. There are almost always in tears after their pieces being captured (chess, checkers, stratego) even though they asked to play those games again and again.

Right now we are working on the Sportmanship/Gamemanship on the win/lose situation first so we try to find games that nobody takes anybody pieces

Both of my boys are really, really like playing games (any games ). My husband likes light games (or games with luck involve). I tend to like strategy with no luck in it

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Games not played yet:
Ingenious
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers

Here are few that we play:

Coloretto: They love it. Short enough to have "just one more game" before bedtime.

Cartagena: We've only played 2 times sofar.

Blokus: Wanted to play ALL THE TIME. They are really good at it and usually won over Daddy

Rumis: Frustration on being kicked out early in the game so we are very careful with our (adults) moves

Ticket to Ride: Requested so many times. They are still focusing on completing their tickets but start finding options on getting more points.

Traverse: While checkers is a "teary" game for them, traverse is fun and peaceful game.

Skip Bo Uno: Getting bored after about 100 times

Rummikub: Happy to play with.

What do you think of these games? Please voice your opinions and add more to the list. Thanks You.

Alhambra
Category 5
For Sale
Polarity
Through the Desert
Dragonland
Capt'n Clever

Thanks again for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
How old are they? I'm guessing at least 6 from the games you list, but knowing more surely would be helpful in making recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane martin
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Sorry :-) They just turned 7 last week :-)
Jane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
My seven year old has problems with this. I normally break out a cooperative game that we can play together and intermix the co-op games with the other games.

Family Pastimes makes coop games for all ages. They appear to estimate high on their ages (most ten year olds can play the 12-up games). The ones we play the most are princess and The Secret Door. I recommend the latter. It is a memory type game with a small twist. You play against the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. My advice would be to try a partnership card game, kids vs. mom+dad. Contract bridge is probably too much for 7 year olds, but there are a lot of other partnership card games out there. And of course they could also play Knizia's Lord of the Rings cooperative game.

Other than those two ideas, it really looks like you have things covered with your current set of games. I haven't played any(!) of the games in your "what do you think" list, so all I can say more is that I'm sure that over time they'll get to be better sports if they just keep playing. My nephew was a terrible sport when he was younger, crying and throwing fits when things didn't go his way, but by 7 or 8 he ended up being a great person to play games against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strikes me that imperfect information and/or blind bidding games might be a good middle ground for all of you. That way, there's lots of thinking involved, but less targetting and more unpredictability. Loco!, Nobody But Us Chickens, and Warumono 2 all spring to mind as possibilities (Warumono is kind of impossible to find right now -- that would be a future-oriented suggestion). Geistertreppe (especially with the expansion, Flaschengeist) might work in the Warumono slot. Both are games that can set your head reeling re who has got the goods at any given moment, yet the moments of exchange are all player-controlled and thus strategic.

And for reasons I can't quite explain, I'm also thinking Boomtown might work. I think it's because the auction mechanism works in such a way that the "loser" gets some compensation (lion's share of the money bid) and also because there are enough action cards that it's really an ain't over til it's over kind of game. But there is explicit targeting and you can/do get your mines blown up in this game, so I'm not sure it's a good choice. Realistically, what it might be good for is clarifying their tolerances/boundaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, brain freeze. Check out Schildkroetenrennen/Quicksand/Heimlich & Co (aka Top Secret Spies). All are hidden identity racing games with some opportunities for sabotage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Carcassone is a good choice in IMO (you mentioned Hunters and Gatherers). You can also choose to not have stealing of areas (it reduces the fun but may stop tantrums). Quoridor is an excellent 2 or 4 player game. If they are smart enough for Chess and Ticket to Ride I would suggest Modern Art a great auction game. One aspect that will help with tantrums is the fact that you don't know who is winning till the end.

Older game you might want to consider is Scotland Yard. The co-operative aspect might help (one group co-operates as a team to catch Mr X who competes against the rest).

Apples to Apples Kids version. I have not actually played it but I hear it is good. Other party games may also be good (not my thing but...)

I probably would not suggest Through the Desert which you listed at least not for a year or two. It is kind of difficult to get your head arround the strategy. The would certainly understand the concept of connecting routes.

I remember the first time I played chess (probably arround the age of 7) I had trouble with concept of having my pieces taken. One thing that helped is my Dad explained very patiently it was a game, made some strategy suggestions etc. I also kind of liked that my Dad did not play easier for me (he may not of put his full thought into it but he never let me win). So when I finaly beat him at age 12-13 it was actually an accomplishment.

I also was generally fairly generous with age ranges as it sounds like your kids are smart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twinsboys99 wrote:
Hello all,
I'm new in the community and have been busy reading all of the "lists", "recommendations"... for buying kids games. THANK YOU!

I need your help choosing games for my 2 sons (just turned 7 years old)that are very competitive, very sensitive in winning/losing/capturing games. There are almost always in tears after their pieces being captured (chess, checkers, stratego) even though they asked to play those games again and again.

Right now we are working on the Sportmanship/Gamemanship on the win/lose situation first so we try to find games that nobody takes anybody pieces

Maybe you can spend some time showing how in some games you can sacrifice pieces in order to capture a bigger piece (or put yourself in a better position). Although it won't fix the win/lose situation at the end it may help with losing individual pieces (if that is where they start getting pouty).

twinsboys99 wrote:

Ingenious

Get them playing this right now. No captures, you are nearly always going to have the opportunity to play a piece. The balanced scoring helps as well.

twinsboys99 wrote:

Alhambra
Category 5
Through the Desert
For Sale

I would recommend these, however there might be some pouting as only one of them can get the space station (even though that doesn't necessarily mean a win).

I know a lot of people don't like it but I would also recommend Pirate's Cove. I am sure it will go down well with young boys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Scrivins
United Kingdom
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My children are 9 and 7 and like yours are pretty competitive. A few games that almost never end in tantrums are:

Mastermind (I think it's hard work, but they love it)
Ingenious (On your list, I recommend you try it soon)
Break the Safe (Co-operative)

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza! It's the "nice" trading game. Your kids will love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:

Bohnanza is an excellent choice, because you generally have to help someone else in order to help yourself.

I would certainly suggest:

Frank's Zoo

Zirkus Flohcati

Mississippi Queen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
Family Pastimes makes coop games for all ages.

Beat me to it! Their list of games here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?publisherid=603

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:

Yep, Bohnanza is the ideal no-tears game for players who don't like confrontation. It's lots of fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
twinsboys99 wrote:

What do you think of these games? Please voice your opinions and add more to the list. Thanks You.

Alhambra
Category 5
For Sale
Polarity
Through the Desert
Dragonland
Capt'n Clever

Thanks again for your help.

Of the above, I've only played Category 5 and Through the Desert. I think if they like Coloretto, then they'll like Category 5.

Through the Desert is a great game, there can be some blocking players off, but not as much as in Blokus, there isn't a point where you can't make a play.

My son is nine and also very competitive. He's getting much better, but the games that really seem to set him off are Heroscape and Battleball.
I'd advise you against these for awhile, altho I hate to because they are tremendous games.

I think you'll enjoy Carcassonne. Break the Safe is a great game too for fostering that team spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Break the Safe can be iffy as a team-spirit game. Playing as a team opens people up to recriminations (we lost because you screwed up) and/or continual critique of their moves and/or a fight over who is running the show or the best way to proceed. That said, most kids I know love this game (and most adults tolerate it, LOL!). But if sensitivity is an issue I'd proceed with caution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
smithhemb wrote:
Break the Safe can be iffy as a team-spirit game. Playing as a team opens people up to recriminations (we lost because you screwed up) and/or continual critique of their moves and/or a fight over who is running the show or the best way to proceed. That said, most kids I know love this game (and most adults tolerate it, LOL!). But if sensitivity is an issue I'd proceed with caution.

Sue makes a good point here, you are probably best off starting w/something other than break the safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane martin
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Wow! Thanks for your help and your kind words. I'm sure to look into for recommended games and try to find where to buy them. None are familiar though!! blush soblue

Hope it's just the one of the development stages that they go thru (I can hope, right

It's amazing how fast information can pour in only few hours of posting. Thanks again! BoardGameGeek rocks!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl Anderson
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranium Conga, Apples to Apples, Fluxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Through the desret and carcassone aqre the first games pop in my mind. both easy. i own carcassone and is a very nice medium - light game. it has both luck and stratgy so it seem perfect for you and your husbend. you can't lose any units and easy to get more points (somthing that might put a smile onn you childrens' face ), i never played trough the desert but read on it quite much and seems great too.the little camels are nice for children and like carcassone it's very simple. even yathzee might fit here although it isn't one of the best gmaexs ever created....

well that what poped in my mind now hope it helped
nate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A light game that by 9 year old daughter likes is Carnium Conga.

In terms of where to get the games you aren't familiar with, just check out some of the online sites touted here (Thought Hammer, Time Well Spent, Cardhaus, etc.) if you don't have a good games store near you. Generally, it's a wash price wise, as the online sites sell cheaper, but charge s&h.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
old bag
United States
Unspecified
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son just turned 7 too!! He is very competitive and some days he does better than others on the 'sensitivity' issue. The games that he handles better than others are Hunters & Gatherers, Dragonland and Pick Picknic.

edited to add Through the Desert as a another good choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rat-a-tat-Cat, Lost Cities, San Juan. Tested on my 7 (now 8) year old boy (not that he has issues with losing pieces/control of things -- I just note that these are the games he can play not already mentioned that happen to feaure that dynamic. He plays ches, Memoir 44, Mexica, etc too).

Maybe Pick Picnic? I wouldn't suggest it because you have to fight for control of things, but I notice that you mention Ticket to Ride as being OK, and that involves similiar confrontation (you can block your sons path, even unintentionally, by taking the routes they need)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jane martin
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone :-)

I just followed and researched what were recommended and ordered online these:

Modern Art
Loco!
Pick Picnic
Circus Flohcati
Bohnanza
Dragonland
For Sale (Turn the Tide is still in Back order)
Diamant
Phoenix
6 Nimmt (Category 6)

Some others are discountined or I can't find it online (Emerald, Heimlich & Co...)
Some are not in the states (Schildkroetenrennen/Quicksand/)

For some reasons, they are OK for blocking/controling things but not doing well when someones captures or they lose their game pieces to the opponent.

Thanks again for your help. I will update later after they play these games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
While LOTR might be a bit complex to start, collaborative play may be what they need. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/823

I think this could work with some guidance from an adult.

Taking the games that provoke tears away for a while might also work in combination with a good talk. But education is something you don't want to ask about on the Internet, probably not even here.

Good luck !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.