Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Sand
Denmark
Ishøj
Select a State or Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been holding back on the Valley Games edition, due to all the talk about errors on the board and cards.

Does anyone know, if there is a second printing planned? Right now the game is listed as "temporarily out of stock" on the Valley Games Inc. web page http://valleygames.ca/our-games/republic-of-rome/.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamfer wrote:
I have been holding back on the Valley Games edition, due to all the talk about errors on the board and cards.

Does anyone know, if there is a second printing planned? Right now the game is listed as "temporarily out of stock" on the Valley Games Inc. web page http://valleygames.ca/our-games/republic-of-rome/.

Cheers

I don't think they'll reprint it without errors anytime soon, but I hope I'm wrong for all those that still have not tried the game.
This said, I suggest you to buy the Valley Game edition however. The errors are easily superseded if you know them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamfer wrote:

Cheers

No new printing planned as far as I'm aware. But to address those printing issues there is an A4 size correction sheet that you can download. I printed mine on an adhesive sheet and stuck the corrections on the board/cards - you can barely notice them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The errors are inconsequential and the game is great and beautiful. Just buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mattias wrote:
The errors are inconsequential and the game is great and beautiful. Just buy it!

That's not entirely true, and I would hate to have you get the game and then be upset. This is really a matter of expectations.

Here is what you can expect from the game out of the box:
If you are completely new to the game, the rulebook, as printed, is so confusing and riddled with errors that you are likely to give up on teaching it to your group before you can make sense of it enough from the rulebook as is.

HOWEVER - the living rules are a significant improvement, they are easily accessible, they correct all the errors, they reorganize some of the rulebook so that the game is presented in a way that makes sense, and you'll therefore have an easier time understanding the game.

IF you don't mind printing out a copy of the Living Rules, than the game IS great. It is still meaty - there is just tons of chrome--special rules for little corner case situations, advanced rules that can be added in once you know the game better, three different scenarios... so even with a better rulebook you are going to have to be VERY PATIENT and you are going to have to be OK with getting some stuff wrong during your first few plays.

The key thing is: THIS IS NOT A EURO. There is NOTHING ELEGANT or EASY here - it's a gritty, realistic simulation of human politics, which are dirty, confusing, chaotic and frustrating in and of themselves. If you go in with some patience and a willingness to learn you will see that this is an absolutely amazing game. If you go in expecting Stone Age or Settler of Catan you are going to be horrified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:
The key thing is: THIS IS NOT A EURO. There is NOTHING ELEGANT or EASY here - it's a gritty, realistic simulation of human politics, which are dirty, confusing, chaotic and frustrating in and of themselves. If you go in with some patience and a willingness to learn you will see that this is an absolutely amazing game. If you go in expecting Stone Age or Settler of Catan you are going to be horrified.

I expect that someone interested in a game that needs an investment of time of 6+ hours should not expect to play a german game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gixx wrote:
MScrivner wrote:

I expect that someone interested in a game that needs an investment of time of 6+ hours should not expect to play a german game...

I totally agree, but you know - it's BGG and BGG has a severe Euro slant. People seem to write negative reviews about otherwise great games because they are longer than 45 minutes or because they involve asymmetry, or because they involve imbalance and king-making. If the OP is hesistating because he is intimidated by the bad rulebook, than it seemed worth it to warn him about all the potential stumbling blocks.

It really is a great game, but all of the real game play happens in the negotiations during the senate phase. Everything else is just setup to make that phase meaningful. If that sounds like your thing, than this is a game for you, and no amount of obstacles should stop you from playing it.

To the OP: if you do decide to pick this game up, don't forget to take at look at Brian's VERY VERY useful Rules Explanation Guide. It will go a long way toward helping understand the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The vast majority of truly great games are NOT euros IMHO, but what can you do? Each to their own and as long as we all enjoy ourselves who cares?

With regard to RoR, the valley games edition is utterly superb, with a few minor issues. No way it's worth waiting on the off chance of a reprint. Just get it and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure your gaming group will actually play a 6+ hour game. We have some big fans of this in ours and it very rarely hits the table simply due to how long it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Sand
Denmark
Ishøj
Select a State or Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have two copies of the AH version, and was looking for a component upgrade. It may be my OCD but the errors annoyed me when I saw the finished game from Valley Games Inc.

I'm also not to keen on the cardboard contraptions where you keep track of influence. They seemed fragile?

Apart from that, I love RoR. It is my perfect 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the major hurdle to this game isn't the rulebook. It's finding at least 4 other players that have the same borderline aspergers tendencies that you do in order to stomach something with this complexity while being social enough to truly roleplay their part and not get butthurt when you start pulling some republican tactics to block all of their nominations.

It's really a fine line.

That said, if you can FIND someone who routinely chews up truly meaty games, enjoys a bout of schadenfreude well enough to not mind when he's the butt of it AND be up for giving a speech to an imaginary roman public from time to time, then it will be one of the best games you've ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.