Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Cutter
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am setting up a six player game (with the play mat from spoonflower and fleet stands of course) and was worried about the amount of space that it would take. Setting up the play mat in the middle of two uneven tables seemed to be somewhat of a challenge. Then I realized that the mat fits over a folded up standard card table perfectly (the edges of the playmat fit underneath and provide enough tension to keep the mat nice and flat). Check it out.....(very much excited about the 6-player game I have scheduled for tonight )...I will need to post a session report.

Play mat was purchsed at http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1729051

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I just want an Eclipse galaxy/hex tablecloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure looks nice, but consider that:
- the cosmos hexes on cosmos background can be hard to read (is it a tile, or is it an empty space?)
- the mat is elevated, and you seem to place the tech supply on the other side. Players across the table won't be able to see it. Sure you can announce when drawing new tech's, but I've found that it's never enough, and with such setup, people tend to get up often, walk around and take a look. We sometimes speed it up by shooting a photo quickly at the beginning of round. From there, you can pass the phone/tablet around, or heck, even share the photo on dropbox if you fancy tech stuff
- the mat can limit options. It's not uncommon to expand tier 3 outside. Yes, you can agree that you use common sense and arrange tiles so that you fit the mat, but if that will cause some unwanted situation (player connection/threat), the player might feel awkward. It's just always silly if your own additions cripple the game. But that's not a problem if the mat is big enough. I see like 3-4 hexes outside starting hex in II ring. In 7-9 players game (starting from III ring) that might be too tight.

But don't let those, in the end, minor things, to cool down your excitement. Eclipse is an amazing game and I hope you'll get tons of fun today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichMedia wrote:
At this point I just want an Eclipse galaxy/hex tablecloth.
I like the idea of something with hexes on it. There is always that awkward moment when two civilizations collide and nothing quite lines up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cutter9999 wrote:
I am setting up a six player game (with the play mat from spoonflower and fleet stands of course) and was worried about the amount of space that it would take. Setting up the play mat in the middle of two uneven tables seemed to be somewhat of a challenge. Then I realized that the mat fits over a folded up standard card table perfectly (the edges of the playmat fit underneath and provide enough tension to keep the mat nice and flat). Check it out.....(very much excited about the 6-player game I have scheduled for tonight )...I will need to post a session report.

Play mat was purchsed at http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1729051

I used the hyperlinks to immediately order a vinyl mat of my very own with this graphic. I'm figuring I can always use the mat for Twilight Imperium 3rd Ed. too (plus I already own 24 acrylic fleet stands and they will look even better with this mat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Doherty
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What are these "Fleet stands" you keep mentioning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wishazu wrote:
What are these "Fleet stands" you keep mentioning?

found here: http://www.litko.net/categories/Board-Gaming/Compatible-with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Picouet
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love some more details on the mat, thinking of ordering one myself.

How easy are the hexes to read, and did it help to lay out the tiles or was the room it took up just a hassle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Kernic
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Check here for more images: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1533413/eclipse
I'm guessing it would help a lot in at least 2 situations:
a) tiles from different players meet and don't line up
b) one player expands into III a lot and you need to move everything else so he has enough room

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.