Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like the LOTR Deckbuilder. To my it is very thematic and has wonderful components. Having said that I do not like that there are not that many options for a player and there is not really much deck _buidling, it is more of a "see what I can get for my money" that stears the decisions of the players and less a deck building strategy as in Dominion or even in Ascension.

Now, has anyone of you ever tried to implement a "rest" rule as in Thunderstone? This would give you the option to remove ONE card out of your hand from play while you discard the rest of your hand, so effectively you are doing nothing on your turn, but thinning out your deck. This way all players would have the chance to get rid of cards and not only those who got lucky enough to buy cards which allow them to remove cards from play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Ko
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a good idea to me; the Star Trek deck builders have this mechanic as well (the Trash Phase).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eugene256 wrote:
It sounds like a good idea to me; the Star Trek deck builders have this mechanic as well (the Trash Phase).

The two games play similarly enough that I'm very tempted to try this variant out. It works well in ST and TS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think this rule would present a game balance issue. There is already a bit of an edge to be had getting a 5 power/2 power split in your first two draws rather than 4/3. It matters what is out there, but is generally better to get a one good (5 cost) card and then settle for whatever costs 2 than to pull in two mediocre cards. This rule would increase that edge by allowing the 5/2 split player to rest on their 2 power hand. This seems minor, but remember that DBGs suffer from a certain amount of "them that haves, gets" syndrome. LotR and DCH avoid this to some extent because there are so many random ambush/attack effects, several of which penalize having a hand full of expensive cards, that it tends to erode the effects of luck at the beginning. You probably don't notice this in Thunderstone because that game is so utterly broken that a little more really does not hurt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.