Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Tsuro» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A 2 player experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend is fairly new into gaming and is slowly getting into them so I've been acquiring more quick lighter fare to help her not get frustrated with heavy mechanics and the like. So When I had a opportunity to pick up Tsuro cheap I thought perfect, light, quick and seems like you can throw in some good strategy as you get more comfortable.

We played it last night as 2 player game. For those unfamiliar with each player gets what looks like a little stone token in one of 8 colours and one by one you choose a start point by placing your token on one line stub that exists on the periphery of the board. The board itself in broken into a square grid of 6x6 and each outer square has 2 of the lines per outer edge you could choose as a start point for a total of 48 different starting locations. Next you each take 3 tiles from the communal tile pile and one your turn you would take one of these tiles and place it on the square where you are starting. Each tile will have 4 different paths and one of those paths will always attach to where you piece is. Once the tile is laid you move your piece to the end of the path. The overall goal is follow these paths without having them send you off the board, oh and ofcourse if you're able to send your opponents off the board all the better I almost think of it as a very serene tron light bike game... but I digress

Playing the game 2 player we started on opposite ends of board and took our turns accordingly, my girlfriend making sure she didn't head back of the board (you are actually not allowed to send yourself off the board unless you have no other option) and myself thinking more about how I could send Lisa's character off the board. After about 10 minutes or so we had the all but some of the outer edges filled up and were side by side... unfortunately it was Lisa's turn and she suddenly realized I had set myself up for disaster... and down went the tile that knocked me out of the game.

Now here's the thing that last say 2 turns each where we ended up being forced very close to each other was enjoyable.. but until then it was pretty much a solitaire game.. no real interaction and kinda flat. However I can definitely see that with more players where interaction would be occurring much sooner how these game can be great. It's staying in my collection as I can see a place for it with my family but I just can't see myself playing it again as a 2 player.

So overall, quick game, great components, looks beautiful, expect it will be good with say 4+ players... As a 2 player game though it seems to miss the mark at least for me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you supposed to play two stones each in a 2p game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Me being a bit of a hardcore boardgamer, I had a friend of mine introduce me to this game who is strictly a Heroclix player and not that into boardgames.

After one play through I was hooked! It is a strangely hypnotic and relaxing game that will keep most (not the horrificly jaded gamers lurking in the dark recesses of your LGS) satisfied during down times.

I thought the strategy of knocking out the other player while trying to keep your own stone on the board to be great.

And it is a easy enough game to grasp you can whip it out at a family gathering without them looking at you like you have bugs crawling out of your ears (as happened with me upon pulling out the likes of Agricola or GOSU) to people who have no gaming experience beyond Monopoly.

Another game you may look into is Carcossonne. Easy game play relatively light and easy for non-gamers to pick up and it plays well as a two player game. My 7 year old loves it and regularly wins!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Aren't you supposed to play two stones each in a 2p game?


Oh really.. I don't recall reading that in the rules but if so that would definitely help with the interaction. Thanks for the note.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
After one play through I was hooked! It is a strangely hypnotic and relaxing game that will keep most (not the horrificly jaded gamers lurking in the dark recesses of your LGS) satisfied during down times.


Totally agree with the relaxing and hypnotic. In my original post I had originally written that it reminded me of a very serene spin of the Tron light cycle game.

Quote:
Another game you may look into is Carcossonne. Easy game play relatively light and easy for non-gamers to pick up and it plays well as a two player game. My 7 year old loves it and regularly wins!


I actually own Carcassonne and do intend to break it out at some point. I think my girlfriend will be okay with it.. time will tell
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game but you really need at least 4. Unlike most games with this one you want as many people as possible involved.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-player games will be really dull if you both try to stay as far away from each other as possible.

What you need to do is ATTACK!

Head straight toward the other player (or at least the center of the board) and force them to get defensive. Don't give them time to set up a safe nest in a corner where they can coast along safely waiting for the game to end. Get in there and muck up their stuff. Make them run away. Use the "cap" pieces (the small loops) to block off sections of the board where you can trap your opponent.

With two aggressive players this game becomes a very fun tactical battle as they dance around each other trying to get the upper hand - and it's super fast too, so you easily play best 2 out of 3, 3 out of 5, 4 out of 7, etc.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Two-player games will be really dull if you both try to stay as far away from each other as possible.

What you need to do is ATTACK!


Yeah for the first game we were testing the waters but when it comes out again I'll definitely be more aggressive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion: place the dragon tile on the board as an additional obstacle. If you run into the dragon, you die. In a 2-player game, this variant keeps things tighter too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stephedp wrote:
Quote:
Aren't you supposed to play two stones each in a 2p game?


Oh really.. I don't recall reading that in the rules but if so that would definitely help with the interaction. Thanks for the note.


Looks like this rule is in the Kosmos edition rules (an unofficial translated version is here in the Files section), but that the special two-player rules were omitted in the Calliope Games U.S. edition. No idea why.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
stephedp wrote:
Quote:
Aren't you supposed to play two stones each in a 2p game?


Oh really.. I don't recall reading that in the rules but if so that would definitely help with the interaction. Thanks for the note.


Looks like this rule is in the Kosmos edition rules (an unofficial translated version is here in the Files section), but that the special two-player rules were omitted in the Calliope Games U.S. edition. No idea why.
I don't have my copy handy to check at the moment, but I don't recall seeing any rule about playing 2 stones in the original Wizkids version either. It was likely something that was added in the Kosmos edition, rather than omitted in the later Calliope edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
mrblueesq wrote:
stephedp wrote:
Quote:
Aren't you supposed to play two stones each in a 2p game?


Oh really.. I don't recall reading that in the rules but if so that would definitely help with the interaction. Thanks for the note.


Looks like this rule is in the Kosmos edition rules (an unofficial translated version is here in the Files section), but that the special two-player rules were omitted in the Calliope Games U.S. edition. No idea why.
I don't have my copy handy to check at the moment, but I don't recall seeing any rule about playing 2 stones in the original Wizkids version either. It was likely something that was added in the Kosmos edition, rather than omitted in the later Calliope edition.


This is something we started doing before hearing about it, and I don't think it's in the rules for my copy. We play it where your two stones start next to each other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete M

Blacksburg
Virginia
msg tools
mb
For two player (and 3) I have each person set tiles face down on the board without looking. 4 each for 2 player, 2 each for 3 player. You when you place a tile that takes you to that spot, then you have to flip the tile and deal with wherever it sends you. Makes it a lot more playable I've found.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.