Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
So I need a new camera, and I have some choice issues.

To start with my history of digital systemcameras:

First I got an used Canon EOS 20D quite cheap, then after a few years it gave up after a few to many bumps
The next one I got was a Canon EOS500D and I missed my 20 a lot somehow. The 20 was a good model.

What I do:

I mostly do street-photo, candid and uncandid. I also have access to an studio with a few elinchrome flashes and stuff. A few boardgame photos, but thats the thing I do the least.

Inspirations:
I been inspired by the street stuff of Cartier-Breson, Meyorwitz , Robert Frank (Les Americans...) and the like, mostly b/w street stuff but sometimes color.

The dilema:

I know have the money to invest in a camera, the question now is if I should go with an EOS 60D or an Finepix x100s, or both the EOS60D and the Finepix x100 , or just the EOS60D (I just need the house if I go with anything that holds the 60D as I have some lenses already)
edit: damn the 70-d seems usefull and it have aps-c sensor so I can still use all my lenses what I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Cartier-Breson used a Lieca. You're talking about stuff that is immeasurably more advanced than that. Another camera (or another lens) is not going to help you take a better picture.

Get something that's small, not overpriced and allows you to easily adjust speed or aperture and spend your energy working on technique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Cartier-Breson used a Lieca. You're talking about stuff that is immeasurably more advanced than that. Another camera (or another lens) is not going to help you take a better picture.

Get something that's small, not overpriced and allows you to easily adjust speed or aperture and spend your energy working on technique.

Yeah I know that and I done that, and given that advice myself. It's not the quality of photo that the camera upgrade would to, it's the technical aspects, speeds etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann Th.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with the canon models. I've always stuck to Sony.
But what I found very helpfull when choosing a new camera is http://www.dpreview.com/, where you can compare camera's side by side.

If you like to keep a low profile a smaller system camera might be a good option. Other than that, I guess it's mostly a subjective matter.

Have you tought about posting this question in the gaming fotography forum here on bgg. There might be others that can give you pointers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Mouseketeer wrote:
I'm not familiar with the canon models. I've always stuck to Sony.
But what I found very helpfull when choosing a new camera is http://www.dpreview.com/, where you can compare camera's side by side.

If you like to keep a low profile a smaller system camera might be a good option. Other than that, I guess it's mostly a subjective matter.

Have you tought about posting this question in the gaming fotography forum here on bgg. There might be others that can give you pointers.

yeah I was a bit unsure on which part to post in of here and gaming photography but I also did post on photograpy-on-the.net forum which is canon focused and got some great advice.

dpreview might be usefull too though, can'ät get why I didn't think of that myself, but just go vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're willing to consider mirrorless / EVF stuff, depending on your budget, you could look at:

Sony RX1 (full frame 35/2 compact rangefinder)
Olympus OM-D E-M5 (tiny body, 4/3 sensor, 3 stops of onboard IS, sealed, natively mounts a set of F0.95 Voigtlander manual primes)
Any of the new Fuji stuff, if you can find the right lenses. X100S is supposed to be good but I'm not sure how fast the lens is.

I bought the E-M5 plus a 75/1.8 portrait prime and that's been spectacular. Check out the reviews on DPR. It can mount & stabilise APS-C glass with an adapter, but you get a 2x crop factor (e.g. your 24mm becomes a 50 instead of a 35).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.