Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game for my birthday and had a run thru by myself to familiarize myself with the rules. Today i refereed a match between my two sons, whilst also giving them a little help as to which actions they could take etc.

My eldest son (9) played humans and my youngest (6) the marauders, i figured this made sense as they only have 2 positions so less rules to learn.

Humans were the home team and scored on their first rush, the marauders quickly replied. This back-and-forth went on for the early rushes until my eldest son started to get a grasp of the game and scored a 3 point strike. My younger son then smashed a hole through the human defence and a jack got himself into a scoring position, unfortunately he had no actions or special moves less so his rush was over.

The humans then brought on two reserves and both attempted slams but to no avail as the crafty goblin dodged around the strike zone. My older son then gave up any hope of stopping him so bought a card instead. Unbelievably this turned out to be shatter and the ball burst in the jacks hand. My younger sons face was a picture and he did well not to start crying (his usual reaction to things not going his way ).

However it was his rush again and the team picked themselves up for one last try. A jack sprinted back to midfield to get the ball, doubled his pick up roll and ran back down field. My son then had a choice, make an easier roll and draw the game or use his last coaching dice to make a 2-pointer. He chose the latter.

So it all came down to a one dice skill check, the last roll of the game, needing 4+. He rolled a...................4 and won the game for the marauders.

This was an amazing first experience with what is an undoubtedly fantastic game with a great rule set. It only took about 3 rushes before my eldest son new what dice he had to roll and all the modifiers etc. Now this simplicity might put people off but in practice it works perfectly and there is obviously a real depth with the tactics outside of the dice rolling (although i don't think my sons will will reach that for some years yet).

Can't wait now to play this with my gaming friends and really couldn't recommend it enough for those who are currently on the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to you for having your kids play! That is fantastic.

Jake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post about some great father & sons' time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah really pleased i've got my boys into Dreadball and gaming in general. Played my 6 year old today and he beat me with a 2 point advantage, he is officially the best dice roller in the world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.