Popular Tags: [View All]
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am seriously considering going to the WBC this year as I have never been.

I have a few question that I couldn't really find good answers to on the website.

I will probably be going alone and although the tourneys sound awesome I will probably be more interested in finding people to open game with. How difficult is this to do?

I also woud like to walk around and see all of the vendors and purchase a few games. What days or times would be the best for this?

I would also like to check out any auctions that are going on and any game demos I might be interested in.

My biggest concern is that I am not sure if I can be there for the entire week. If I could only be there for 3 or 4 days, which days should I come to accomplish my goals?

I appreciate any help anyone could give me. I have never been to any gaming conventions or cons before so I really want to have a good experience.

Thanks
George
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
George -- I'd actually be REALLY interested in meeting you (and possibly, buying some of your games, as well, if you came to WBC).

Your questions:

1 - open gaming is MUCH bigger than it was a few years ago. You'll have ZERO problem finding people to game with. Also - I do a lot of open gaming myself; but I do still play in some tourneys -- I view the first rounds of tourneys as "scheduled open gaming" - it's not unusual for me to win my game and still not choose to advance to the next round (I think I did that in 3-4 games last year).

2 - The vendor room is only open Fri, Sat, Sun (the last weekend of the con) -- Tourneys start on Tuesday; but really kick off around Wednesday. Open gaming gets more full as the week goes on (since fewer 'first rounds' are held).

3 - the only auction is held on Tuesday. Game demos are available from Monday-on (but, again, that will depend on when those people show up).

If you *need* to be there for the auction, *and* want to be there for the vendor room; your only option is to come Tuesday through Friday.

Shoot me a GeekMail if you have any questions ... I'm definitely interested in seeing you there

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am happy to hear that you are interested in attending the World Boardgaming Championships in 2013.

The auction is on Tues., July 30 from 10am to about 5pm. The auction store starts 30 minutes earlier. You need to be a paid attendee to purchase or sell games.

Vendors are open from Friday through Sunday, Aug. 2-4, 2013. You don't need to be a paid attendee to visit the vendors.

There will be many scheduling tools available soon, but in the meantime, take a look at our previews (http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbkex/) to find any games you might be interested in playing and the schedule for those tournaments. Even if you don't want to be involved in the tournament aspect, the tournaments provide a scheduled type of open gaming when you know people will be present to play the games you are interested in and they will know how to play.

In terms of the open gaming area, there are kiosks that you can put on a table to indicate that you are looking for players or to help you find a game you want to play. Look over the game library (http://boardgamers.org/wbc/library.htm) to see if there are any games you are interested in (though there will be new games this year and people bring their own games). I believe the open gaming area gets more and more full toward the end of the week (maybe Wednesday or Thursday through Saturday night).

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Kaarin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first attended, I didn't know anyone. I started entering tourneys, not with real hopes of winning, but for something to do. I basically used tourneys AS open gaming.

After a while, I found that I KNEW people, and open gaming became a lot easier to find.

If you can only attend part of the con, come on Wednesday early and leave on Saturday late. That's the meat of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gen1400 wrote:
I am seriously considering going to the WBC this year as I have never been.

I have a few question that I couldn't really find good answers to on the website.

I will probably be going alone and although the tourneys sound awesome I will probably be more interested in finding people to open game with. How difficult is this to do?

There are several ways to meet new people to play games at WBC:
- Join a tournament or two. You will matched up with players and you can talk to them and sometimes they'll ask if you are interested in joining them. Talk to people while waiting in line before the tournament.
- In the open gaming room, there are kiosks (triangular signs) which ask for "Teacher Wanted" or "Player Wanted". Look for those signs and, if you are interested in the game, ask to join them.
- Go to the library, check out a game and ask people who are browsing if they'd like to join you. And/or use the kiosks attract players.

Quote:
I also woud like to walk around and see all of the vendors and purchase a few games. What days or times would be the best for this?

The vendor room is only available Friday through Sunday (Though Decision Games will be there all week.)

To be honest, I don't go to conventions particularly to buy games--I go to play them, though I will pick up something (usually small which will fit in my suitcase for the flight home.) Conventions give me leads on what to buy when I get home.

Quote:

I would also like to check out any auctions that are going on and any game demos I might be interested in.

The auction is all day on Tuesday.

At the same time, the WBC runs the "Auction Store" which is a used games consignment system, in place of a flea market. Mostly less expensive items are sold here. At the auction store, prices are dropped every two hours, so if you wait you can find a bargain.

Quote:

My biggest concern is that I am not sure if I can be there for the entire week. If I could only be there for 3 or 4 days, which days should I come to accomplish my goals?

Probably Tuesday on if you can--seeing is want to attend the auction. Unless you are interested in specific events held during the precon, most of the WBC experience is from Tuesday to Sunday.

Quote:
I appreciate any help anyone could give me. I have never been to any gaming conventions or cons before so I really want to have a good experience.

Games conventions are to have fun. Come! We'd be glad to meet you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George - the earlier replies are good, but following are a few clarifications:
1. Although the official vendor period begins on Friday, there is one vendor who begins earlier in the week.
2. Tournaments begin Saturday, July 27 at the pre-Con and continue through Sunday, August 4, except for Tuesday until 6 PM.
3. The core for tournament starts is Tuesday evening to Saturday morning.
4. The auction and auction store are Tuesday until 5 PM.
5. You are only permitted to publicly sell games at the auction and auction store. You can arrange sales in advance, for instance through BGG.
6. While I prefer tournaments, my sister prefers open gaming. She began attending WBC two years ago and has been surprised at how friendly other gamers have been and how easy it is to get people to join a game she is setting up.
7. There are three types of demos during the week. There are typically around 5 new or soon-to-be-published games being demonstrated in Cafe Jay by publishers(?). Many of the tournament games have 1-hour demos for players who do not know the game or who need a refresher. Additional 1-hour slots are available to publishers who want to demonstrate new, soon-to-be-published or hoping-to-be-published games. You may also see some not-yet-published games being played in the Open Gaming area, although not as official demos.
8. If you can only attend WBC for 4 days, based on your post I suggest Tuesday-Friday. That way you could attend the Auction and Auction Store, the first day of vending, and lots of tournaments and Open Gaming.
9. If you can only attend for 3 days, I suggest Tuesday-Thursday (auction) or Wednesday-Friday (vending).
10. I hope you can make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john ford
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George --

The first time I wandered into Open Gaming at WBC I was staggered by the number of games available for play and the number of people willing to play them. I had a marvelous time, and it gets better each year.

It's especially helpful to "try out" a game or two in the open arena and then try your hand in the tournament.

For a broad experience, Open Gaming is the way to go; for an in-depth experience, play in a few tournament rounds. Either way (or combining both!), you'll be delighted you did.

Hope to see you there.
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been an annual attendee of WBC, but I've been several times, and you can have a good time no matter the length of your trip. I've done the whole week mostly, but I've also done two days and had a good time.

I will make one suggestion that may upset some organizers. Don't stay at the Host. There's a hotel just down the street (Doubletree, I think) that is about the same price and is orders of magnitude better. I am strongly in the camp of moving the con to another location, especially after last year's fiasco.

So, WBC is a great con and lots of fun despite it being at the Host. Which if you truly understood my feelings about the Host, you would realize how great a compliment it is to the WBC crew and their efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me reinforce what several here have already said - Plan to play in a tournament.

You said you want to find people to game with. In a tournament, you'll find those people and they'll already know how to play the game. That means you can spend your time 'meeting' instead of 'learning'.

Pick a game or two you own and sit in on a round. As said before, it's just a scheduled time to play a specific game.

Then, in Open Gaming, you'll find the newer games that don't have scheduled tournaments. Like Lords of Waterdeep (which I suspect will show up a lot in Open Gaming this year).

One specific Open Gaming suggestion - I see you own a couple baseball games. If you get a chance, try to get in a play of Lords of Baseball. The Jamelli twins (actually, father and son) have been demoing in the Open area the last two years (that I know of). Significant changes were made before last year and I expect even more polishing this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GS in KS wrote:

One specific Open Gaming suggestion - I see you own a couple baseball games. If you get a chance, try to get in a play of Lords of Baseball. The Jamelli twins (actually, father and son) have been demoing in the Open area the last two years (that I know of). Significant changes were made before last year and I expect even more polishing this year.

I appreciate the plug. We've pretty much finalized the gameplay -- with one "major" tweak since last year. We'll have a new style of cards in August - but the events and OPS will be pretty much the same. Couple little adjustments that speed the game up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
There's a hotel just down the street (Doubletree, I think)

I'm not sure what you're thinking of, but the only DoubleTree in Lancaster is 10 miles and 20 minutes away. There are much better places to stay than the Host, though. You can hardly do worse, except for convenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Country Inn and Suites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Country Inn & Suites is the best (but also most expensive) hotel nearby. That's where I stay. It's only a few hundred yards to walk to the Host (and you don't have to cross the busy highway), although I usually just drive myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC it's already sold out for WBC, although maybe they have a wait list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. I made a reservation just a few days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to add to the chorus of people suggesting you play in a tournament or two, even if you think you'd prefer open gaming, and to elaborate on why.

You rate both Stone Age and Power Grid as 8's, so they are among your favorite games. Both have tournaments at BGG with several heats. So if you want to play one of these games while you are at WBC, you have two options.

One is to play them in open gaming. That might work well. You might find 4 players who all want to play Stone Age, or 5 (or whatever number you might thing is best for Power Grid) who want to play Power Grid. But there are all sorts of things that can go wrong. You might not find enough people, and would have to play with fewer than the optimum number. You might have too many players, and play another game that accommodates the larger group. You might have one player in the group who doesn't like the game as much, and you decide as a group to play a different game instead.

Even if you get four people who want to play Stone Age, there may be one who is going along for the sake of group consensus, who isn't that wild about the game, and that makes it less fun. There may be someone willing to try it, who hasn't played the game or doesn't remember it, so you have to take the time for teaching or a rules refresher before you can play.

But if you go the tournament route, all you have to do is show up at 11 AM no Thursday or Friday, or 7PM on Monday. By 11:05, you will be playing Stone Age, almost certainly in a 4-player game, with 3 other players who know how to play. More importantly, all 4 of you will be people who are enthused about playing Stone Age; your opponents could have been playing any one of a dozen other tournament games, or anything else in open gaming, but Stone Age was their first choice; in my experience, games are most fun when everyone is enthused not only about gaming, but about playing the particular game you are playing.

The only downside to tournaments is that you don't get to choose who you are playing with. So it's conceivable that you will end up playing with players you don't like. But the same is true of playing with strangers in open gaming.

Before I came to WBC, I was worried that the tournament players would all be hypercompetitive in a way that made them less fun to play with. My experience has been the opposite of that. I've played tournament games with hundreds of players at WBC, and I've only encountered 2 that I didn't find pleasant to play with. One of them is not attending WBC these days for personal reasons, and as an indication of how rare this sort of thing is at WBC, I'm sure that the WBC attendees reading this know exactly who I'm talking about. So while this isn't a perfect record, it's a considerably higher percentage of people I enjoy playing with than I've encountered at gaming groups at home, or open gaming at conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stein
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
One of them is not attending WBC these days for personal reasons, and as an indication of how rare this sort of thing is at WBC, I'm sure that the WBC attendees reading this know exactly who I'm talking about.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, what Stein said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caley Roark
United States
Quarryville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to do a quick reply to your original post, simply because two years ago, I was new to the WBC too. I'm still no expert, but this will be my third year going.

The first year I went, I only went for the Memoir 44 tourney. A friend and I had just started playing (Mem 44 and board games in general) and thought it would be fun to play against other opponents. I was really pleased with how genuinely friendly everyone was; the GM of that game even recognized me later when we were matched up online. I did get beat by a "hardcore" player, but he wasn't unfriendly, just pretty good at the game.

Last year, I attended alone for three days. I got to know a few of the sports gaming guys, and, while there's definitely a family reunion vibe to the WBC, they were very welcoming.

I live about 10 minutes from the Host, so it's a quick commute for me. I enjoy jumping into demos and then trying my luck at a tourney. I'd like to get into open gaming more, but I'm a bit shy. But again, everyone is super friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CPRoark wrote:

Last year, I attended alone for three days. I got to know a few of the sports gaming guys, and, while there's definitely a family reunion vibe to the WBC, they were very welcoming.

My dad and I laughingly refer to WBC as a Griswold Family reunion. There is definitely that vibe ... and once you're there a few years, you're part of the family.

Quote:

I live about 10 minutes from the Host, so it's a quick commute for me. I enjoy jumping into demos and then trying my luck at a tourney. I'd like to get into open gaming more, but I'm a bit shy. But again, everyone is super friendly.

Would love to get to play Lords of Baseball with you - we appreciate the article you did for Operation Sports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caley Roark
United States
Quarryville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:

Would love to get to play Lords of Baseball with you - we appreciate the article you did for Operation Sports.

My pleasure! I'll do an update when firm release info is available. There were some pretty positive responses from OS readers, so I'll try to keep the info flowing.

Just let me know when you are demo-ing and I'll put it in my schedule. I'll be there all week this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was curious, has the schedule been finalized/released for all the tournaments? And if not, does anyone know when that'll be posted?

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Don't stay at the Host.

Red Roof Inn right across the street isn't bad.

I used to stay at the Knight's Inn further down when I came by myself, but I had to upgrade a bit when I started bringing my son.

We find it to be clean and, aside from frogging across Lincoln Highway, the location is great.

We stay at the convention pretty much all day, though, so the hotel room is simply a clean bed. If you need amenities, it might not do the trick.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'd like to get into open gaming more, but I'm a bit shy.

One thing you can do about this is post in that “What is everyone playing at the WBC thread?” that usually pops up before the con.

I’d been dying to learn how to play Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage for awhile. I just couldn’t wrap my head around it. I posted in that thread asking if someone might be willing to teach it to me and someone graciously volunteered. I’m still horrible it at it two years later, but at least I know how to play it.

So, you can try and set something up beforehand. This way, the ice is already broken.

As everyone else as said, pretty much everyone is superfriendly and pick-up games are easy to come by. Sometimes, there are set groups of friends that travel together or meet up there specifically to game with each other, but at any given time there are always people looking for games.

The color coded signs help, but also you can get into games just by browsing the library. My son and I got several games in last year just by asking if people were looking for other players or people asking us while we were discussing what to play.

As long as there is space, you should be able to get a game in. meeple

Good luck,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlbertaClipper wrote:
I was curious, has the schedule been finalized/released for all the tournaments? And if not, does anyone know when that'll be posted?

Thanks for the help.

The schedules for each game are available at www.boardgamers.org. The combined schedule, showing all of the events in a variety of formats, is not yet available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.