Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I have only played 3 quests so far, let me say that I am blown away by the variance and dynamic differences offered. I assumed that the different quests would only offer different story lines, however, I am very thrilled to see each quest totally alter the games mechanics.

One quest will be straightforward, but the next one will totally alter the play sequence, or restrict the normal flow of the game, or present two different final quest choices, or contain a single quest card that really focuses on a single objective.

The quest variance is really a shining area of this game. That's going to keep things fresh, and allow for replay ability as well.

I am so glad the quest experience provides such a widely different experience with the storyline as well as game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the expansions, there are some very unique quests there too. Especially when mingled with some of the new Encounter cards, Objectives found within, etc. This game is truly fantastic.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything, the quest variability has increased with the more recent expansions. IMHO they've actually taken this too far, to the detriment of the game. But, if variety is what you like, be sure there is a LOT of it in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget the fan made quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
And don't forget the fan made quests.

Yeah,
I have printed off about 15 user created quests for Last Night on Earth. Those have been great additions to the game. I will need to print off some of The Lord of the Rings user created quests as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
This is probably the main reason why I think the LotR APs give you the best value of any FFG LCG expansion packs. When you buy a Chapter Pack for AGoT or a Data Pack for Netrunner, you generally get a mix of stellar, average, and worthless player cards. A few of those go straight into your existing decks, a couple others may inspire you to experiment with new builds, and most will probably never be used. With LotR, each expansion effectively provides a new game variant. Even if you never use any of the player cards, you can still get pretty good mileage out of each scenario.

Some people have expressed concern about the difficulty of the newer quests, and they certainly are no cakewalk. That said, I really think we're entering the Golden Age of LotR, at least from a theme/mechanics standpoint. The designers have started to figure out just what they are able to do with the game engine, and it has translated into some terrifically thematic (and enjoyable) scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Field
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Since Caleb took over the player cards seem to interact more effectively, and the quests have taken some interesting new directions, in terms of mechanics.

I do hope they introduce some easier quests for new players in this cycle, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.