Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So love the game. But having lost 4 times now to my gf warlock with the premade spell books, I'm getting frustrated on the wizards option of spells. I really like his jack of all trades master of none. But her aggressive warlock just gives me a beat down while I teleport around saving up mana while denying hers to set up the big kill which is always a bit late.

I know there is no one strategy or way to win. But it's almost too much looking into his spell book. Too many options if that makes sense. Am I over strategizing this game? Is that possible? I've heard that people have had problems winning with the warlock but she seems to do fine.

Btw, I feel kinda cheap posting this. She would kill me. With a fireball most likely...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking to change the spellbook or do you want to try different strategies? If you are wanting to change strategies a little more information on how your games go would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of people can relate to this in some manner or another. I certainly can. When me and my GF started playing I could not seem to get control over her Priestess, even the pre-made one.

The thing with this game is, for every problem, there is a solution. It might just not be very obvious at first. The pre-made Wizard seems to have plenty of options from my point of view.

It might help to know a bit more about how she plays the WL against you. Is she equipping herself to attack you in melee, or is she hitting you from afar with firebolts?

-Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
jakece wrote:
So love the game. But having lost 4 times now to my gf warlock with the premade spell books, I'm getting frustrated on the wizards option of spells. I really like his jack of all trades master of none. But her aggressive warlock just gives me a beat down while I teleport around saving up mana while denying hers to set up the big kill which is always a bit late.

I know there is no one strategy or way to win. But it's almost too much looking into his spell book. Too many options if that makes sense. Am I over strategizing this game? Is that possible? I've heard that people have had problems winning with the warlock but she seems to do fine.

Btw, I feel kinda cheap posting this. She would kill me. With a fireball most likely...

Warlock beatdown? Try putting a hydra on guard early in your zone, that should stop her rush with the premade spellbook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! Love bgg.

Yeah she will maybe do a demon but gears up and takes me melee. She will fire ball me alot unti I dissolve her wand. I usually bind lightning and teleport. I never release more than mana leeches. I feel that is a main issue. I heard hydra and gorgon are really great early game. Yeah I can get her channeling 6 or 7 a round and I'm at 13. But by then I'm one fire ball away from death...

Think I look too far ahead strategy wise and need to go short term and not so grand strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mana denial tends to work best against creature heavy plays.

I find the Wizard premade spell book is much closer to something I'd actually consider running than the Warlock premade spell book. You have plenty of answers, and you should shut down solo or 1 big Warlock aggression hard. Drop a Gorgon Archer on turn 1 or 2, and use position control like Teleport to keep the Warlock away from you and your Gorgon Archer. If you can stack 2+ weak conditions on your opponent, their ability to apply pressure effectively goes down dramatically if they're not playing with many creatures.

Use Dispel on Ghoul Rot and Magebane.

Build up armor so that individual attacks aren't so threatening.

If you know you're going to be attacked that round, use Voltaric Shield. A Wizard with 3-4 armor and Voltaric Shield is very difficult to hurt with direct attacks unless your opponent can muster many such attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakece wrote:
Am I over strategizing this game? Is that possible?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well everybody! Thanks for the tips. Beat her warlock today! Close game but not the usual domination. The trick? Against her anyways, I let loose the gorgon, hydra and stone gaze and they helped alot!! I never really used creatures with the wizard on that level. I kept her busy. Any the push into the hydra triple strike? Great! Then used alot of nullify for her ghoul rot and markered for death. Then finished her off with lightning (which I usually bind). I guess I used a little of everything the wizard has to offer which is alot

Thanks- Jake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it Jake!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have to cast your "Cloak of couch sleeping"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Did you have to cast your "Cloak of couch sleeping"?

Counter that with the "Doing the dishes" enchantment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually she was happy for me.....

A pity congratulations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won with wizard against my son's Warlock yesterday. I put the hydra out early then turtled in one spot and made him come to me. Lots of equipment on my wizard and hit him with spells when he came close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.