Subject: MERCS Interview from PAX East about Myth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

just found a little video interview with MERCS interview from PAX East and they are talking about Myth

Maybe nothing new but it could still be informative...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
I'm still a little surprised at the spoken sizes of the miniatures. In the video, Keith says

Heroes - 32mm
Bosses - about 9cm (90mm)

The pics I've seen so far don't look like the Bosses are 3 times as tall:

It looks like that boss is maybe 70mm, compared to the Acolyte. It could just be visually deceiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Hosford
Canada
flag msg tools
A couple things to point out...

- About 9cm, so not exact
- At this angle the camera may be slightly deceiving (although doesn't look like much
- The acolyte and other chars are on bases while the boss is not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Chant
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just looking at the picture, does it mean that bosses can be up to 9cm? The Arachnid Boss has a curved back, so the idea may that in general terms a boss can be up to 9cm. With the curved back, it may equal that, whereas other bosses may be the full height.

Truth be told, until we each hold the mini's in our hands, we will not know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Private OverText >_< Do Not Read!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing to note is that the heroes are on bases while the arachnid boss is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
While the angle isn't perfect in the pic I showed, there are multiple pics showing different angles, and you can even see the Acolyte and boss in the background of a video at an almost perfect angle.

In a hobby where where the miniatures are typically only 25-32mm, it's not remotely accurate to say they are "around" a number that's nearly 20mm incorrect. I considered the height of the base as well, but seriously, bases are typically about 3mm tall or so, which doesn't account for the proportion skew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think it would lose some of the realism if they were all exactly 9cm tall... He is clearly hunching a bit, which would take quite a bit of that height down. Also, the perspective is rather deceptive in that photo. It doesn't look like it's very far away, but with the camera almost on the table like that it is really going to bring the figures in front of the arachnid boss to the fore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's not exactly 9 cm, I want my money back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:

Lol ;D

Personally, I'm completely unbothered =P Mini-bosses and bigger than heroes, bosses are bigger than mini-bosses. Don't care how much it's by =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
Cuthailion wrote:

Lol ;D

Personally, I'm completely unbothered =P Mini-bosses and bigger than heroes, bosses are bigger than mini-bosses. Don't care how much it's by =P

A promise is a promise though... Must be 9cm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Process
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this Youtube video, although the footage is brief, gives a sense of scale for the Boss vs Hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTnYXUPhKYo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BossHoss wrote:
A couple things to point out...

- About 9cm, so not exact
- At this angle the camera may be slightly deceiving (although doesn't look like much
- The acolyte and other chars are on bases while the boss is not
Focal length matters.

At wider angles things further away will look further away than they are relative to things closer to the observer. At more narrow angles things far away will look closer relative things close by to the observer.

Compare plank behind + girl at 18 and 200 mm here:

Good to know especially when taking portraits:

At a wide angle you'll have to take the shoot closer so the relative distance of say the nose and the eyes will be much larger than what it would be at a more narrow angle where you had to stand further away when taking the shoot to get the same magnification.

(3 cm difference isn't much at 10 meters distance but it is at 2 cm distance.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.