United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so excited to have my gaming table back in action. Here is a little history about it:

My mom got this art table for me when I was around 15 years old. I wanted to learn how to draw better...but I really suck at it. Anyway, she found it at a garage sale for $5.

This table has seen many games played. Although it looks small, it can fit a 6 player game of Talisman 2nd edition (using character sheets) and all the expansion boards except Timescape. (Yes I have to keep it separate and then bring it to the table when necessary.) I loved playing solo 6-player games and not having to break it down.

A few years after that I had to use it for a computer table for an Apple II and my current computers. It has also been used for a tv table too.

In 2008 my wife and I moved into our home, and it went right to the laundry room to collect dust. It has just sat there with no use until...

....last night I moved it into my play room. I've had it for over 20 years. For $5 that is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schwarze Ritter
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The drafting table for $5 is nice, but I want to hear about your music background and set-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
der schwarze Ritter wrote:
The drafting table for $5 is nice, but I want to hear about your music background and set-up.

Agreed. What kind of mandolin is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
der schwarze Ritter wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy, from the table to music...you all just found my weakness. I am more of the car driver than the mechanic. Fixing and setting up is my buddies job...I just play. (And I am sure he is sick of hearing "I have some buzzing sound coming out of my amp...is that bad?")

So let me see if I remember everything I use..lol

The mandolin is a Fender. I am not sure what model, but it was the cheapest one that came with a pickup installed from Guitar Center. So it is a lower end model.

My bass is an Ibanez Ergodyne 405. Right now I am running it through a cheap 100w Crate amp. I have an Ampeg stack in my closet I used when my band was gigging and...well..complete. That hasn't come out though for at least 3 years, so I am thinking of selling it. I just play for fun now. (My setup on the YT video I posted the other day was my bass, and his gear.)

You will find I have a lot of Roland stuff. It is not because I favor them...but because my buddy does. It made it easier to transfer effects over if we have the same gear, and he sold me the guitar amp and electronic drum kit (which our old drummer sold him).

The drum set has a TD-3 brain.

In the pic you can see a VG-88 and a JC-120 amp. That would be my guitar setup. For guitars I pretty much only use Schecters. They are cheap and sound pretty good. I have a 6 string Hellraiser, 7 string Elite, and C/SH12 semi-hallow body. And yes I brought all that stuff to every gig. We would switch instruments between songs, so I would have 3 guitars, 1 bass, and 1 mandolin on stage with me every show. If I remember, I had to tune 35 strings before every show...ugh!

I also have a erhu, shanshin, pipa, and a keyboard but those rarely get touched.

I would post some of my band's stuff, but work locks me out of youtube. So for now if you want to check out a couple things of ours then search youtube under our band name: Amish Racecer. There are two videos that will pop up. One is a short clip of our most recent song, and the other is an AMV I made with our song and an anime called Angel's Egg.

Also there is our website: http://www.amishracecar.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still new to Guitar, but unfortunately, have problems with discretionary spending, so I have like 5 guitars and two amps, even though I suck at playing and have only been doing it for about 18 months.

But my favorite guitar is my Schecter C-1 Custom, which I got used for $350 at a guitar center.

My newest guitar is moving in as a close second though, an Epiphone Wildkat.

I'll probably eventually sell my Squier Strat, and an Epi Les Paul Std though, as those hardly ever get played anymore. I'll keep the two mentioned above, a takamine acoustic, and a Mexican Strat in the end I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow..already 5 guitars? Instruments are just as addictive to buy as board games. I've been thinking of getting a sitar or guzheng next, even though I know I will never really play them.

I'd love to play violin, but I've found I suck with bows. lol

The thing that helped me learn the best was to get tab books of my favorite albums, and study them. I learned a lot about patterns and scales by working my way through a lot of Candlebox guitar solos and Chili Peppers bass parts.

Once I had the scale patterns down, I started focusing on learning songs by ear. There was a Corrosion of Conformity website that I would upload a lot of tab to the creator.

Finally, I moved to just freestyling over songs I knew. And that is a lot of fun; to make something new out of a recording you know well. I hope that advice can help you too!

One of my friends in Japan told me that she even downloaded my youtube video where I played mandolin over a T-ara song, and put it on her ipod. She went in for eye surgery recently, and said she listened to it over and over and it helped get her through the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
Wow..already 5 guitars? Instruments are just as addictive to buy as board games. I've been thinking of getting a sitar or guzheng next, even though I know I will never really play them.

Twas a really weird situation. I bought my first guitar on Looks Epi Les Paul, it was fine, but I never really bonded with it. Then the electronics started messing up. I hadn't really read anything about how the innards of a guitar worked yet.

So I bought the Schecter C-1 Custom, it was pretty too, loved it. Most of my playing has been on this one. I like almost everything about this guitar. Didn't buy any other guitars for a good while.

Except, now I'm thinking I also want an acoustic, but I have to find one I like. Good neck, (thin, like the schecter not thick like the les paul) After a couple of months, I settle on a Takamine EG-416 acoustic, it has a smaller body which I like, good neck, etc. (3 guitars now)

A couple months after that, I start getting better, and start playing around with different tone. Because of the shape of the schecter, I'm thinking about an SSS Strat. So I start looking at cheap ones of those. I find a Vintage Modified Squier 70's Strat for $225 at Rebel Music here in Oxford MS. So I end up buying it on a whim. Totally insane purchase, not needed in any way, but I wanted to try that single coil sound. I keep this one in a different room, so all the guitars get fairly frequent play except the broken les paul.

I'm an electrical engineer by college standards, so I start reading about how guitars work, and finally end up buying parts and rewiring my les paul, so it's got excellent electronics in it now and is fixed, which brings me back to all my guitars working again. I've done other fixes as well, rewiring the jack on my schecter when one of the joints started to break and was giving me scratchy sounds, etc. I've become good at the electronics now.

I go with these 4 guitars for almost 6 months with no changes until recently, when I decided I kind of wanted a hollow body electric. Thus after playing several, ended up with the Epiphone Wildkat. And my 5th guitar in the span of about 18 months.

I don't anticipate any other purchases, because I think I have all the bases covered by now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
I'm still new to Guitar, but unfortunately, have problems with discretionary spending, so I have like 5 guitars and two amps, even though I suck at playing and have only been doing it for about 18 months.

But my favorite guitar is my Schecter C-1 Custom, which I got used for $350 at a guitar center.

My newest guitar is moving in as a close second though, an Epiphone Wildkat.

I'll probably eventually sell my Squier Strat, and an Epi Les Paul Std though, as those hardly ever get played anymore. I'll keep the two mentioned above, a takamine acoustic, and a Mexican Strat in the end I think.

I hear you. In January of 2012 I had exactly one guitar (a Takamine EF-261 SAN). I had always been a strummer type rhythm player but decided to actually try to learn the instrument I had been playing for 35+ years. So, I saved my pennies and bought a serious electric and started taking lessons. I almost immediately got a bad case of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) and now, a little over a year later, have six. Mine are:

The Takamine EF-261 SAN Acoustic Electric
A Fender Telecaster American Vintage 52 Re-Issue
A Fender Telecast California Series Baja (bought becuase I was afraid to take the 52 AVRI out of the house)
An Epiphone Dot
A Breedlove AC25/SR PLUS Acoustic Electric
A Yamaha Bass (just to have a bass around)

I may have a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
I'm an electrical engineer by college standards, so I start reading about how guitars work, and finally end up buying parts and rewiring my les paul, so it's got excellent electronics in it now and is fixed, which brings me back to all my guitars working again. I've done other fixes as well, rewiring the jack on my schecter when one of the joints started to break and was giving me scratchy sounds, etc. I've become good at the electronics now.

Ok, I am adding you to my list of people to contact when I have an issue with my gear. LOL

I have no idea how to fix anything. I just go with what sounds good to me. I've been playing for 20 years now, and I really can't tell the difference between what kind of tone a guitar, gear, or whatnot makes. I just play whatever I find sounds good.

Usually when some starts with, "Yea, I use a dual spring double coil EG fuzzy pickup with a 5mm pearl pick, running through a solid state reverse double boost Mesa Boogie E-7 4029 head to a 15' 12" Marshall stack with neon lights...." I'll check out of the conversation quickly. I understand music and theory, but equipment is over my head. lol

But somehow I got up to 9 guitars. 4 of them sit in a closet collecting dust.

SybotCB wrote:
I don't anticipate any other purchases, because I think I have all the bases covered by now!

Bass? Did you say you are getting a bass next? Good choice!

But keep it up, and if you are ever in the area...lets jam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't get into different pickups and stuff yet. Not good enough, but I can tell a difference in the output I get from Single Coils vs Humbuckers, I cannot tell the difference in this capacitor vs this capacitor.

When I rewired my Les Paul, I just put in some capacitors I had from my parts box from Engineering School. It sounds fine to me.

That all being said, My Schecter does sound better than the les paul. Maybe it's the pickups, or strings, but I don't know. I figure I've got a lot more to learn before I chase tone to that extent.

I'm mostly playing around with effects now. There are schematics for a bunch of effects online, and I've built some of the kits as well. I'm thinking about building a kit Amp, though I don't really need another amp, just for the experience. I like building electronics, and guitar electronics astonishingly, still have that old 1950's feel to them for the most part, unlike todays miniaturization, where you need a lab to build anything, not just some breadboard and a pile of resistors and transistors and caps, etc.

As far as jamming, as of now, I'm still way beginner. I basically can strum chords, but not always in time (I'm still working on getting a feel for rhythm.) Pretty good with all the open and barre chords. Know the minor pentatonic scales up and down the neck, but can't improvise for the life of me.

Also, I can't pick out keys by ear. Which hurts. I have a lot of backing tracks saved on an SD card in my amp, and if it doesn't say the key on the backing track, I can't play a scale over it, because I don't know where to start.

I'm lost on Music Theory yet too. I need a Music Theory for dummies book or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.