Strat-O-Matic Baseball» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Thrilla In . . . Miami rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Arizona 6 vs. Miami 5

Ian Kennedy faced off against the recently recalled Tom Koehler. I play the current rosters and am playing the 2012 season, started last year. I'm still in April, so each team has only played right around twenty games.

When using a pitcher I don't have, everything comes off the batter's card. On a 4-6 with the white die, all ground balls, fly balls and catcher chances are regarded as "X" chances. For batters I don't have, I use the "eight" pitcher's card.

In the top of the first, rookie Didi Gregarious got his first major league hit, a one-out single to center field. Montero drew a two-out walk, but Goldschmidt hit into a force play, to end the inning.

Miami drew first blood on three consecutive singles after two were out, Brantly getting the RBI.

In the second, Koehler got himself into and out of trouble again. Back-to-back singles by Chavez and Ross put runners on the corners with nobody out. A short fly ball to right failed to score Chavez (B?, Chavez speed of ten, -3 for Stanton's arm). Kennedy couldn't help himself, with a pop up and Parra grounded out for the second time in as many innings.

A one-out error and a sacrifice by Koehler failed to garner results when Ruggiano grounded out.

In the third, Gregarious and Montero singled around a fly ball by Prado to put runners on the corners with one out. Goldschmidt failed to capitalize again with a foul out and Chavez hit back to the box.

Miami increased their lead to 2-0 on back-to-back singles by Polance and Dobbs and a double play by Stanton.

The Diamondbacks went down in order for the first time in the fourth, with the Marlins leaving runners on the corners when Ruggiano took a called third strike. (Strikeouts with the dreaded fatigue symbol are called strikes).

Goldschmidt finally came through in the fifth. With two out, Prado and Monters singled, Montero's of the infield variety, when Dobbs fielded his grounder but had no play. Goldschmidt then hit the ball to the deepest part of the park in dead center field for a 3-2 Diamondbacks lead. Another infield single, with an error by Dobbs getting Chavez to second, and an RBI single by Ross gave Arizon a 4-2 lead. Ryan Webb came in to strike out Pennington looking. He gave up a hit to Parra in the sixth; but, he was caught stealing.

Miami went down in order in the fifth, but came roaring back in the sixth. Brantley lead off with a double and went to third when Kennedy committed his second error of the game on a come-backer by Coghlan. It looked like Arizona was going to get out of the inning still ahead when Solano grounded into another run-producing double play; but rookie Nick Green chased him with his first major-league hit.
Pierre came in to pinch hit and the Arizona manager countered with Matt Reynolds. The chess game continued, with Kearns replacing Pierre and lacing a double to right center field, bringing on Collmenter, who proceeded to intentionally walk Ruggiano to load the bases and unintentionally walk Polanco to tie the score. Dobbs scored Kearns with a clean single to right; but Ross gunned Ruggiano down at the plate to keep it at a one-run lead.

Jon Rauch came in to pitch the seventh. He walked Prado and Goldschmidt around a groundout by Montero, which advanced Prado to second. After Chavez flied to left, Ross tied it with a single into left center field and sending Goldschmidt to third. Pennington again failed to deliver grounding into a force play to end it.

Miami loaded the bases with two out in their half of the seventh on two hits and a walk to Green, by Hechavarria, who entered the game as part of a double switch in the sixth, struck out.

Both teams went down in order in the eighth, with David Hernandez striking out the side in the bottom half.

Relief ace Steve Cishek came in to pitch the ninth for the Marlins and proceeded to give up lead-off, back-to-back singles to Prado and Montero, his third hit of the game, putting runners on the corners with nobody out. Cishek then uncorked a wild pitch, which Brantley couldn't corral and the Diamond backs had their 6-5 lead. After walking Goldschmidt intentionally, Cishek then struck out Chavez, Ross and pinch hitter Hinske.

Arizona then brought in their ace reliever, J. J. Putz (love that name), who had lost the previous contest in relief. He caught Stanton looking at strike three, struck out Brantley and got Coghlan to pop up to Montero out in front of the plate to close it out.

With the game on the line, before the pop up, six Marlins struck out in succession.

My non-player rules worked out quite well in this game. A lot of times, the pitcher will completely shut the other team down, as in no hits, which is why I added the "X" rule. I also limit those pitchers to five innings maximum.

Arizona left eleven runners on base and Miami ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.