Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Monster Batteries: Useless and should be removed? Strategies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Gamboa
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Monster Batteries card seems like a total loser. I've never seen anyone use it in any way and it generally just seems to take up space. Are we missing something? Or does it seem like a reasonable idea to just take this card out of the deck? Or is it good to have some "duds" mixed in?


I know this will just be opinion, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zero Budget Geek
United States
Putnam Valley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Batteries may seem crappy at first but you need to know how to use them and only use them if they fit your strategy. Just last night I was playing a 6 player game and Monster Batteries came out early. No one wanted to buy it but no one wanted to sweep the other cards either. My strategy in that game was to sit back out of Tokyo and build up energies. It seemed unlikely that anyone was going to win by VP. After I had about 5 Energies, I bought the Batteries and dumped 3 Energies on it. Again, I continued to play defensively until I was able to harvest all the Energies and went on a big shopping spree to buy up Keep cards. After that, I pretty much stomped all over everyone. I won that game because of Monster Batteries.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster batteries is deceptively and hugely powerful. You wouldn't remove it from the deck for being weak but for often being the ticket to win.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not before me now, but isn't this the card that lets You spend some energy to get back double the amount?

It is often chosen by us. I wouldn't say its underpowered, but it's not especially good either. Can be good in the beginning, if You can accumulate at least 6 energy fast, it is a decent choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Brissaud
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Batteries is a very powerful card if you can load it with a decent amount of Energy. It is not great in early game but deadly in mid game and with combos.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only can Monster Battery work really well if it shows up when you already have a decent amount of energy, and then a few more rounds to take the doubled energy out...

BUT it can be a great combo card with other ongoing cards with energy costs. The spend energy to heal card or the spend energy to change a die card.

If you have a filled up Monster Battery you can count on quite a few turns of being able to use those other abilities without having to roll more energy, freeing you up to try for BIG attacks, heals/evolves or points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's situational, more so than many other cards. If it's been written off by your group, leveraging it for the win would be very sweet indeed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watch out for people nicking it with Parasitic Tentacles (hate that card)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Monster Batteries the one where you either add an energy token to, or remove all the energy tokens from, the card at the start of your turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Edgeler
msg tools
It can be good in combination: e.g with Friend of Children ("when you gain energy, gain 1 extra energy). Using this, you triple the energy you put on it, because when you gain 2 energy from Monster Batteries at the start of your turn, you also take an extra energy from the energy supply.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
My Secret Santa is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quadparty wrote:
It can be good in combination: e.g with Friend of Children ("when you gain energy, gain 1 extra energy). Using this, you triple the energy you put on it, because when you gain 2 energy from Monster Batteries at the start of your turn, you also take an extra energy from the energy supply.


Friends of Children does not combine with Monster Battery. From the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:
Friend of chidren:
+ solar powered: it combines.
+ metamorph: it does not combine (this is not an energy gain ,rather an energy recovering)
+ Monster battery: same as metamorph.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Jameson
msg tools
mb
edgd00 wrote:
Monster Batteries may seem crappy at first but you need to know how to use them and only use them if they fit your strategy. Just last night I was playing a 6 player game and Monster Batteries came out early. No one wanted to buy it but no one wanted to sweep the other cards either. My strategy in that game was to sit back out of Tokyo and build up energies. It seemed unlikely that anyone was going to win by VP. After I had about 5 Energies, I bought the Batteries and dumped 3 Energies on it. Again, I continued to play defensively until I was able to harvest all the Energies and went on a big shopping spree to buy up Keep cards. After that, I pretty much stomped all over everyone. I won that game because of Monster Batteries.

Based on my memory, and this post, isn't monster batteries a 2-energy cost card that allows you to place energy on it, which is then matched by the bank (so in this case, you put 3 energy on the card and bank also put 3?). You then get to take 2 energy off every turn?

If that's the case, then you ended up harvesting 6 energy from the card; which means you made a net profit of 1 energy over the course of 3 turns. If my memory of the card is correct, I really think that your win had more to do with your energy hoarding strategy than this card in particular. [which is not to say it didn't help; every little bit counts, after all]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RJJ7 wrote:
edgd00 wrote:
Monster Batteries may seem crappy at first but you need to know how to use them and only use them if they fit your strategy. Just last night I was playing a 6 player game and Monster Batteries came out early. No one wanted to buy it but no one wanted to sweep the other cards either. My strategy in that game was to sit back out of Tokyo and build up energies. It seemed unlikely that anyone was going to win by VP. After I had about 5 Energies, I bought the Batteries and dumped 3 Energies on it. Again, I continued to play defensively until I was able to harvest all the Energies and went on a big shopping spree to buy up Keep cards. After that, I pretty much stomped all over everyone. I won that game because of Monster Batteries.

Based on my memory, and this post, isn't monster batteries a 2-energy cost card that allows you to place energy on it, which is then matched by the bank (so in this case, you put 3 energy on the card and bank also put 3?). You then get to take 2 energy off every turn?

If that's the case, then you ended up harvesting 6 energy from the card; which means you made a net profit of 1 energy over the course of 3 turns. If my memory of the card is correct, I really think that your win had more to do with your energy hoarding strategy than this card in particular. [which is not to say it didn't help; every little bit counts, after all]


I think Monster Batteries is the (not sure of the cost) card where at the start of your turn you either place 1 energy cube on the card, from the bank, or remove all of them (and then discard the card?).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HarveyFangboner wrote:
The Monster Batteries card seems like a total loser.

Yup. It's a total loser. Not sure why there's any discussion on this... By the time you start making your money back, someone's going to be well on the way to victory from using their dice rolls/energy for something that actually helps them right away. If you were playing a game where *everybody* is saving up energy, this card would be helpful, but you could also simply beat those players by going for victory points, and that would be faster.

I made my own deck of cards where Monster Batteries' cost is 1 instead of 2, and it still isn't great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Murr
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Monster batteries doubles your credits, if you wait long enough. What's there not to like..

In the edition 1, the friend of children card says if you gain energy, you get one extra. I think it is matter of interpretation does it work with batteries. If you interpret that it does, the you triple your money basically. Thus it's very powerful card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murrur wrote:
Monster batteries doubles your credits, if you wait long enough. What's there not to like..

In the edition 1, the friend of children card says if you gain energy, you get one extra. I think it is matter of interpretation does it work with batteries. If you interpret that it does, the you triple your money basically. Thus it's very powerful card.

1) "if you wait long enough" is usually too long, and to get a meaningful return you have to drop quite a bit of energy into it, which further delays payoff, let alone reaching the break even point. And that energy is likely better spent immediately then wait for it to pay out eventually.
2) there is an official answer that Friend of Children does nothing to help Monster Batteries.
3) you will note that Monster Batteries is the ONLY card removed from 2nd edition. There is plenty good reason for this.
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Grrrarg! You said mostly everything I wanted to say!

To make any energy off of Monster Batteries, you need to spend five energy total: 2 to buy it and 3 to put on it, so that after three turns you've received six from it and made one measly energy. It just gets worse from there. (If you put six on it, you won't get extra energy until four turns later.) Look at other cards that cost that much and you'll see they are much stronger because they help you pretty much right away. Add to that the common problem where you finally get enough energy to buy a six-energy-costing card and then are killed before it even becomes relevant.

If someone gets a *big payoff* from Monster Batteries, it indicates to me that their opponents didn't know how to play well. Hint: focus on winning instead of building energy to buy a card that much later will let you buy a different card which will then help you win.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.