Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the starting cards is the 0 strength card Life. It gives you 2 life. I was just wondering whether or not people tend to hold on to this card?
If not, why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I hold on to it, it's a very flexible cards and can be used as:

+2 cards
+2 lives
+1 life/+1 card

You can also use the "back to draw pile" action to place it back and get the bonus again before a new "old age" card comes into your deck. Seems like a winning card to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If people don't hang on to it, they have a basic misunderstanding of how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely hang on to that card most, if not all of, the game. Don't think of it as +2 life; at the very worst, it lets you draw 2 more cards (one for "free") and at its best you regain some precious life.

Ideally, that and the +2 card are the only ones that survive from your base deck, though depending on what pirate ships you're fighting you may want to keep the +1 around as well.

Of course i say ideally because things rarely work out how you hope...

EDIT: was delayed in replying, Pedro has it exactly right. Life is a resource, not just a measurement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
As already stated...a must keep. Combo it with a "Copy" action and you've got +4 Life/Cards on one turn. Or combo it with the "1X Below" for +4 Life/Cards in one round. I'd get rid of every other starting card before this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand... I may have missed something in the rules. If I don't use a life gain for life, I can use it for drawing a card instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darney wrote:
I'm not sure I understand... I may have missed something in the rules. If I don't use a life gain for life, I can use it for drawing a card instead?

Not exactly. You gain the life, BUT after you've drawn your free cards for the hazard, you can spend life to draw ADDITIONAL cards, so 1 life = 1 card draw as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
If people don't hang on to it, they have a basic misunderstanding of how the game works.

Fully agreed. Destroying this card is purely stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
It saved my butt a few times, heck just this morning in a game I was in the yellow phase of a level 4 game, looking almost dead, with only 2 life tokens left. As I was facing an easy hazard, I drew the 0 fighting +2 life card, two copy, and a bottom of the deck, and there were only 2-3 cards left. I went from 2 life tokens to 9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.