Smash Up: Awesome Level 9000» Forums » Variants

Subject: 5-6 Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
Lille
Nord Pas-de-Calais
flag msg tools
Wondering if anybody's tried now playing with 5-6 players and how it goes?

It seems to me it's possible, but it would be much harder to plan turns in advance as basically 4-5 people are going to go before you get to go again.

I was thinking maybe a turn order like this might alleviate things:

Turn 1 - players 1 & 3 go
Turn 2 - players 2 & 4 go
Turn 3 - players 3 & 5 go
Turn 4 - players 4 and 1 go
Turn 5 - players 5 and 2 go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think messing with the turn order would help, only confuse everyone. Having simultaneous turns would be...awkward.

Had my first 4 player games yesterday, (Only played with 2/3 before), and man did I realize how horrible 5 or 6 player would be!

It's extremely frustrating and not very fun when a base gets started on and captured completely between your turns, and happens a lot (as I discovered) even in 4player, there was at least one of the games I lost with 4 vp at the end as by the time I finally got a hand set that I realized I could take a base, I'd just lost...

Even more would be...hellish, it seems to just become more of a 'luck-fest' instead of actually trying to plan...anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Lille
Nord Pas-de-Calais
flag msg tools
Meh, I just realized my turn order wouldn't even result in any net "savings" for people. There would still be the same amount of people playing in between.

I agree things would just be way too chaotic with 5-6 players.

I wonder if team play would make things feasible. I often play in a large group so games accommodating larger numbers get played way more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Marsh
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
and in the middle
badge
Grrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking that the way to play with this many players is to split into two groups. Two games of three players playing at the same time should work fine, indeed you could turn it into a tournament!

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I posted this variant in the normal forum, but it applies here as well since it requires this expansion:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1000232/smash-up-6-player-sy...

This variant allows for 6 players using teams, is not overly complicated, and doesn't make the game any longer than a 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.