Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

And to follow that up, are there objective sets in Core you think will be in play long term?

I'm asking this from an academic standpoint. I'm honestly curious what people think of core objective sets and their longstanding viability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of it will depend on if they bring out other versions of the main characters. We have two Darth Vaders. If another version of Yoda or Han came out that has similar effects to the core set then I think it would be easier to depart from the core set.
Plus...we need at least a couple more expansions to add the variety of objectives needed to create synergies between the 'new' cards.

EDIT...when playing with a Rebel deck, I think the 'shield when refresh' objective (I forget the name of it) will be hard to replace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edge of Darkness release. Though that's probably not fair since it's more like a core supplement, but for the litteral minded...

From a technical standpoint, to build just an effective deck and not necessarily a good deck we'll have to get through the Hoth cycle. That's just in order to have enough Objective Sets in any one faction that don't come from the core in the original 4 Factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:

And to follow that up, are there objective sets in Core you think will be in play long term?

I'm asking this from an academic standpoint. I'm honestly curious what people think of core objective sets and their longstanding viability.

This is a good question OP, and part of the reason why I have not yet purchased a second core. I can see myself eventually playing decks that do not include two cores. Sure, it might not be the definitive tournament winner deck, but I am not really interested in playing this competitively.

I may have buy two of the next deluxe box, though. I never can get enough Billy Dee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never understand comments like this. Why would you want to stop using the Core set cards? I get that they'll get a bit "old" and, from a strategic standpoint, their effects and limitations will have been well-tested and known by most players, so if they see some of those cards in your deck then they'll know what to expect, but I think it's actually really good that some of the Core set cards could remain viable really long term and don't just get abandoned to power creep. If you look at A Game of Thrones LCG, one of FFGs earliest LCGs, then you'll note that even with tonnes of expansions already out (and many deluxe boxes) then some of the Core set cards are still being used in competitive decks, which I think is really good for the game.

To actually answer the question though then I suspect after about 2 full cycles of force packs. With the way the Hoth theming is going in this cycle then it'll probably be loosely viable after the conclusion of this cycle, but I tend to find with FFGs LCGs that the initial Force Pack cycle often provides support and development for the basic deck themes and strategies from the core set while adding a few new ideas for each faction. With that in mind then building a competitive deck without using the Core cards might actually be detrimental to your deck as you'll probably be playing a strategy that hasn't originated from those strong Core themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Grutz
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamshadow wrote:

Objective sets I know will be in use for a long time:

1. Reconnaissance Mission, Hit & Run: Some decks will always want more Fate Cards.

2. Looking for Droids, Rumours at the Cantina: for rainbow decks.

and I started to list out others, but deleted them. Can you tell me an objective set that WON'T be used in the future? People are still using core cards from AGoT in Tier 1 decks and they have gone through like 8 cycles and 6 deluxe boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Partizan242 wrote:

and I started to list out others, but deleted them. Can you tell me an objective set that WON'T be used in the future? People are still using core cards from AGoT in Tier 1 decks and they have gone through like 8 cycles and 6 deluxe boxes.

I can't tell you for sure, no one can really, but you can't use AGoT, CoC, WI as good examples for these. The Objective Set paradigm will change that. It's not just keeping a card here or there from the core, it's keeping the block. That's easy enough to understand, but sometimes it's hard to realize what the ramifications are.

I think this is a game that will see top tier competitive decks that do not have core cards fairly quickly, but I also think we'll see a wax and wane effect. There are strong OSets in core, but there's a chance that 2 strong OSets in the future will prove the features a particular OSet gives. Then as the meta progresses and that paired synergy doesn't work as well it'll be necessary to bring back that strong core OSet.

All that being said even as the card pool progresses having those easy core set decks available to show off the game to a new player will be handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
My speculation is that there will always be pods from the Core Set that you'll want to use - they've probably been built with that intent (i.e., long term viability/utility). For no other reason that a new player getting into the game will want to pick it up to build decks ($40 MSRP for 220+ cards) as opposed to getting multiple Force Packs ($15 MSRP for 60 cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm sure it will be ages before we seem more than a few decks that use all non-core cards. As stated above, Edge of Darkness should bring us Scum and Villainy decks that don't use the Boba Pod.

I guess it could be done already (for LS) because there are enough non-core objectives. Dark Side has to wait one more expansion, they only have 9 playable Objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hodgson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why give up the chance as the Rebel Alliance to lose 4 Rebel Assaults?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Blakeney
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeMiester wrote:
Why give up the chance as the Rebel Alliance to lose 4 Rebel Assaults?

Well if that is the overall mentality, what is the point in buying ANY new cards? I know some people who have made the Han Jedi deck and feel that it'stthe best, so why settle for taking anything out of it to add in new cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By end of the Hoth cycle, if not earlier, there should be one or more competitive fully-Hoth decks. LS can run a set of 9 right now, but it doesn't look focused enough, but give a few more oSet choices and I'd bet something viable will emerge.

And to agree with what was said way earlier, if not Hoth, than the explosion of Scum and Spies in Edge of Darkness will likely make those affiliations viable without core (although Han's pod will probably still be clutch in the mix).

Lastly, to agree with everyone else, I don't foresee a point in time where a bulk of the Core will be superseded. There are some powerful pods in the mix, and some of the themes and synergies will likely continue to have a place when mixed in with future releases. There will definitely be a point where viable decks can be constructed without a Core, but don't wager it will ever become outright invalidated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.