Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So whirlpool has a subroutine that prevents the runner from jacking out during the run that it goes off.

Snitch specifically says that the runner can jack out before encountering ice that he snitches.

So if whirlpool went off , can the runner use snitch to jack out still , effectively nullifying whirlpool's effect ?

If so ... that means snitch might have just gotten better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Vash2002 wrote:
So whirlpool has a subroutine that prevents the runner from jacking out during the run that it goes off.

Snitch specifically says that the runner can jack out before encountering ice that he snitches.

So if whirlpool went off , can the runner use snitch to jack out still , effectively nullifying whirlpool's effect ?

If so ... that means snitch might have just gotten better.

Nope. Abilities that say you can't do something are more important htan abilities that allow you to do stuff. So you can't use a snitch after whirlpool triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
The corp isn't rezzing Whirlpool at that point. You are just exposing it. You could jack out at this point because you did not continue the run and the corp did not rez the ice.

I apparently can't read today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan is correct, you would not be able to use Snitch to jack out once the Whirlpool subroutine goes off. However, if you used Snitch on Whirlpool, you would be able to jack out before encountering Whirlpool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks guys !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazyn wrote:
Abilities that say you can't do something are more important htan abilities that allow you to do stuff.

On what ground, if I may ask? Is it pure reason or the rules say so? Because it's not so clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donmakaron wrote:
bazyn wrote:
Abilities that say you can't do something are more important htan abilities that allow you to do stuff.

On what ground, if I may ask? Is it pure reason or the rules say so? Because it's not so clear to me.

I don't have the rule book handy, but there is a part that says cant abilities trump can abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 21 of the Rulebook:

If an effect prohibits a player from doing something, usually by
using the word “cannot,” it always takes precedence over other
effects unless another effect explicitly overrides it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Page 21 of the Rulebook:

Actually, I took it as given from before, but this rule seems not to be particularly clear on the can vs can't jack out thing...

"Unless another effect explicitly overrides it" sounds like snitch can override because it "explicitly" says you can blah blah blah and jack out...

What exactly does explicitly mean? Does it have to say "snitch may override whirlpool" to be explicit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulling this from a Reddit post discussing this:

"If snitch exposes whirlpool, you can obviously jack out because the subroutine hasn't triggered yet.

If snitch is used after whirlpool has already triggered, you can't jack out, because 'cant' effects always trump 'may' abilities."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Missed it.

But still - one can argue that Snitch is explicit enough. Yet nevermind. I guess it's clear for me now. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Pulling this from a Reddit post discussing this:

"If snitch exposes whirlpool, you can obviously jack out because the subroutine hasn't triggered yet.

If snitch is used after whirlpool has already triggered, you can't jack out, because 'cant' effects always trump 'may' abilities."

That doesn't really answer what it means to be "explicit", does the can effect have to name the can't card to "explicitly" override it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Awesome
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Can't read my POKAH FASE
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Page 21 of the Rulebook:

Actually, I took it as given from before, but this rule seems not to be particularly clear on the can vs can't jack out thing...

"Unless another effect explicitly overrides it" sounds like snitch can override because it "explicitly" says you can blah blah blah and jack out...

What exactly does explicitly mean? Does it have to say "snitch may override whirlpool" to be explicit?

I dont think there will be a "card x trumps card y's ability" printed on card x, but there might be something printed that says "card x can do z effect, regardless"(hopefully in better language) or "card x can always do z effect." And I know in game of thrones, sometimes things are immune to various types of effects (location, character, triggered, etc).

edited to trump cannot rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot overrides you may.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Awesome
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Can't read my POKAH FASE
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

Then maybe it will say "can." Or maybe "always" trumps "cannot."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

…unless another effect explicitly overrides it. From the rule book quote that you posted above:

Netrunner rule book wrote:
If an effect prohibits a player from doing something, usually by using the word “cannot,” it always takes precedence over other effects unless another effect explicitly overrides it.

I don't claim either way that we do or do not have an explicit override in this case. But to you, what wording would explicitly override this “cannot”?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
using the word “cannot,” [The Runner cannot jack out for the remainder of this run. -Whirlpool] it always takes precedence over other
effects [You may then jack out. -Snitch] unless another effect explicitly overrides it.

Page 21, bottom right under, "Negative Effects".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An explicit override would be worded as:

Once per run, you may expose an unrezzed piece of ice when you approach it. You may then jack out, even if another effect prevents you from doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:
An explicit override would be worded as:

Once per run, you may expose an unrezzed piece of ice when you approach it. You may then jack out, even if another effect prevents you from doing so.

Great catch, I like that interpretation. Stuff like stimhack has that wording and it makes sense.

That was all I was looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other potential wordings:

"Even if another effect would prevent you from doing so"
"This ability cannot be negated or prevented"
"No effect can prevent you from using this ability"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also: http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/jack-attack/ (Smarteye was the old netrunner's snitch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
endgame wrote:
See also: http://www.netrunneronline.com/cards/jack-attack/ (Smarteye was the old netrunner's snitch).

While this can be helpful to see how things were handled in the past, no rulings from the original Netrunner can be directly used for Android: Netrunner. They are different games, and even have some significant rules changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dugger

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the plus side, you can still expose an ice, just in case the corp decides not to rez it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skiesbleed wrote:
endgame wrote:

While this can be helpful to see how things were handled in the past, no rulings from the original Netrunner can be directly used for Android: Netrunner. They are different games, and even have some significant rules changes.

Absolutely. I'd take the old rulings as informative but not binding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
What's the next argument going to be? Asking if Inside Job lets you make a run after being hit by Uroboros?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.