United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive my cold mercenary post, but I only play limited, so I sell off my cards after each event. Also, I am not swayed by shiny things when it comes to MtG.

In this morning's wee hours prerelease tournament, I scored both promos. The foil Maze's End and the Foil Plains for my guild running the whole maze (not everyone at the event managed this, so they are theoretically more limited than the Maze's End)

What are your opinions on the values of these cards?

There is a discussion here about them, and someone mentions that the last time there was a set with no basic lands, but a promo basic land was the only one (they were mountains) - the mountains appreciated to over $20 a card.

Anyone know what set the $20 mountains are from? Are they talking about Arabian Nights? If so that seems suspect as there are other factors to that...
Any guesses or recommendations on whether to hold or sell for the current ~$4-5 they are fetching already?

As for Maze's End, being a participation prize promo, alternate art of a Mythic Rare, any thoughts on whether value would go up or down? Roughly $5-7 right now on ebay but very erratic as expected.

I know this is purely speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither will be worth anything for a long time.
The Arabian mountain has to be what they mean and they had millions less printed. Demand is what makes cards worthwhile and no one is searching for plains. The mazes end isn't a good card it forces you to play with subpar cards to have a maybe effect of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can actually sell either one for $5, I would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts. StarCity has the Maze's End listed for $4.99 for the time being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sold Maze's End for $6 with free shipping, thanks guys for your input.

I noticed in the meantime that a lot of even the good prerelease promo cards from recent sets top off at $1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:

I noticed in the meantime that a lot of even the good prerelease promo cards from recent sets top off at $1.

Playing with a prerelease promo feels pretty tacky. People usually try to avoid them and play with real cards. I've occasionally used this to my advantage, like back when Hero of Bladehold promos were $10 cheaper than the regular cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plains just sold for $5, free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:

Playing with a prerelease promo feels pretty tacky. People usually try to avoid them and play with real cards. I've occasionally used this to my advantage, like back when Hero of Bladehold promos were $10 cheaper than the regular cards.

Interesting. Why are the prerelease promos tacky and not considered "real" cards? I like alternate arts. If I have more than one copy of something in a deck, I like to have different artwork if possible. Especially my lands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iguano wrote:
delirimouse wrote:

Interesting. Why are the prerelease promos tacky and not considered "real" cards? I like alternate arts. If I have more than one copy of something in a deck, I like to have different artwork if possible. Especially my lands.

I think it is a lot like how people did not like playing white-bordered cards. I don't claim it is rational, I just claim enough people feel that way that prices reflect it (especially on MTGO).

I will say that, for me personally, I don't like giving up the edge by playing different versions of the same card in a deck. An opponent who sees one in game one and a different one in game two knows you are running two or more copies of the card and can sideboard appropriately game three. This is a truly microscopic edge, and I do not fault anyone for preferring the variety of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iguano wrote:
Why are the prerelease promos tacky and not considered "real" cards?

The majority of players in the mainstream Magic scene love to flaunt wealth, plain and simple. Prerelease promos are so... plebeian.

For a real eye-opener, check out prices on foreign (esp. Japanese/Korean) foil Legacy staples. A recent auction on a foil Japanese Brainstorm closed for over $200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
iguano wrote:
Why are the prerelease promos tacky and not considered "real" cards?

The majority of players in the mainstream Magic scene love to flaunt wealth, plain and simple. Prerelease promos are so... plebeian.

For a real eye-opener, check out prices on foreign (esp. Japanese/Korean) foil Legacy staples. A recent auction on a foil Japanese Brainstorm closed for over $200.

There is also a weird culture around foils. A lot of competitive players loathe them, and a lot of EDH players love them. You can often see what community is using a card by the foil-nonfoil gap. For mostly tournament cards it is often near non-existent, and for EDH cards it can be enormous!

I think characterizing it as flaunting wealth is uncharitable, by the way. People's cards are a reflection of them in the same way their clothes or their car or their house is. People spend far more absurd amounts of money on those then they ever do on MTG cards. It may not be how I choose to spend my money most of the time, but I don't think it is anything particular to mainstream Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Interesting. I never thought about the alternate art giving away the cards. That's a good point. I tend to only do this with lands - I like to make sure all my lands have different art - and since I only play casual, don't consider some of the things you have brought up. It it's definitely food for thought going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iguano wrote:
Interesting. I never thought about the alternate art giving away the cards. That's a good point. I tend to only do this with lands - I like to make sure all my lands have different art - and since I only play casual, don't consider some of the things you have brought up. It it's definitely food for thought going forward.

I definitely enjoy differing versions of cards as a celebration of Magic history, and usually when picking out stuff for my cube I try and find the coolest version. My basic lands for my cube come from almost every set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
I think characterizing it as flaunting wealth is uncharitable, by the way.

Uncharitable or untrue? I've followed plenty of Magic forums and I stand by my assertion. The majority of the mainstream community treats card version choices much like flashing a Rolex - either showing off their pimped cards if they have the money or ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the other guys' if they don't. There are some players that make their selections based on some kind of theme or aesthetic, but they're easily outnumbered by the status-seekers who don't care at all what it looks like so long as it's more expensive than the other guy's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
delirimouse wrote:
I think characterizing it as flaunting wealth is uncharitable, by the way.

Uncharitable or untrue? I've followed plenty of Magic forums and I stand by my assertion. The majority of the mainstream community treats card version choices much like flashing a Rolex - either showing off their pimped cards if they have the money or ooh-ing and ahh-ing at the other guys' if they don't. There are some players that make their selections based on some kind of theme or aesthetic, but they're easily outnumbered by the status-seekers who don't care at all what it looks like so long as it's more expensive than the other guy's.

And internet posting and your life experience is scientific proof? I totally disagree with what you posted here. I make my choices based on the artwork/aesthetics. I even run average cards in decks because I like the artwork. Most of my playing group is the same way.

You say that you see people posting about this subject, I would argue that most of the people posting would of course be the boasters. The aesthetics people usually don't care to take the time to set others straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisgmay wrote:
I make my choices based on the artwork/aesthetics. I even run average cards in decks because I like the artwork.

So do I. Heck, I give a little cheer every time I crack a decent foil because I know I'll be able to cash it in for a couple of good, non-ugly, non-warping cards in exchange. However, as is often forgotten around here, BGG'ers are not even close to representative of the mainstream MtG community.

Anyway, this is only tangentially related to the OP by now and I don't care enough to debate the point. Ultimately, people are welcome to spend their money as they please...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Chrisgmay wrote:
I make my choices based on the artwork/aesthetics. I even run average cards in decks because I like the artwork.

So do I. Heck, I give a little cheer every time I crack a decent foil because I know I'll be able to cash it in for a couple of good, non-ugly, non-warping cards in exchange. However, as is often forgotten around here, BGG'ers are not even close to representative of the mainstream MtG community.

Anyway, this is only tangentially related to the OP by now and I don't care enough to debate the point. Ultimately, people are welcome to spend their money as they please...

Totally agree with you.

As for the op I hope that the foil plains and maze go up in value becaus I don't care about foil lands and will sell them for other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me as one Commander player who doesn't care if my stuff is foil or fancy. I'll play any legal card and typically go for the cheapest one I can get. I also trade my foils for regulars all the time to other Commander and Legacy players.

Also, I don't understand why some of the cards are worth more in newer, more print run sets than the older sets. I traded an original Mirrodin Platinum Angel today and it was worth less than all of the other sets it was printed in, many years in the future. Makes no sense to me, but I see it all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Count me as one Commander player who doesn't care if my stuff is foil or fancy. I'll play any legal card and typically go for the cheapest one I can get.

Personally, I like the historical aspect of a Commander deck, of being able to look back at all those old cards. So I always run whatever the original printing was, even in cases where I prefer the art or frame of the newer one. So far, the only cards I'm cheating on are Demonic Tutor and Wrath of God - Betas of those would run several hundred dollars. And the 10th edition Wrath is cooler anyway.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why some of the cards are worth more in newer, more print run sets than the older sets. I traded an original Mirrodin Platinum Angel today and it was worth less than all of the other sets it was printed in, many years in the future.

While that does seem to be true of the Platinum Angel at the moment, it's contrary to what I've usually seen - and I've bought quite a lot of older singles either for Commander or to fill out draft sets. I've typically seen the older cards being a bit more expensive, as you'd expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
overtheboard wrote:

Where I come from I don't see this.

The main reason high level players are not interested in foils is because the have a tendency in wetter climates to curl slightly more than regular cards. A few years ago their was a scandal of sorts because the card figure of destiny was a prerelease card. It was dominant in standard and often was the only foils in a players deck. It became possible to cut to the foils and since the card was good to have in opening hands people were getting game losses for having marked decks.

This added to the fact that the prerelease card is over printed in comparison to any other card makes the value of per release cards stay fairly low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:

Part of that is because the ten prerelease promos from RtR/GTC were also the cover-cards from the ten RtR/GTC Intro Decks. So even aside from the promos in circulation from the prerelease event, there were also plenty of foils of those same cards in circulation from intro decks. There was never a scarcity, particularly not for people who are foil-insistent.

I'm of the belief that Corpsejack Menace would be an over-$2 rare if not for its high availability caused by its being a guild prerelease + guild intropack card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.