Subject: Starting Hand Tile Drafting - No Good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Le Fire
United States
Menands
New York
flag msg tools
We briefly experimented with starting hand drafting; I was curious if anyone else has.

First, we tried a bidding strategy of bidding victory points. Then we tried a strategy of bidding starting corn (from either begging or from the tiles themselves).

We also tried different amounts of tiles to pick from, 2x per player, 3x per player.

We found we didn't really like it, since the tiles were often too wide in variety. No one really bid to block other players from acquiring their combo.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles are very well balanced, overall. In a game with more than 4 players, you're never going to be interested in taking a hit to hurt someone else, I'd say. So all this would do is let people get off to the start they want.

I think the 4 choose 2 system is fine, personally. It gives you 6 choices, which is enough. I'd maybe go to 5 choose 2 if I felt starting tiles were too big a factor, but, I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try an actual draft. Hand out 4, keep one pass the remainder left 3 times. Then pick 2 of the 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnecessary complication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pad Wi
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the drafting idea very much, maybe I'll propose this to my group.

I don't think they are all balanced and depending on your position you can end up with really shitty starting tiles.

Choosing or bidding doesn't do the trick for me, but drafting is an elegant way to reduce randomness and give each player the chance for a good starting position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My one slight problem with this game is the luck factor at the start. While the first player can't really get 4 bad tiles, the 4th and even 3rd players can, IMHO, be significantly hampered by bad starting tiles. My solutions is as follows:
(for 4P game)
Give the last player 7 random start tiles, of which they will choose 2 and hand the rest to the player to their right. Also give the player to the right, one additional random starting tile so they are choosing from 6. Repeat until everyone has their tiles. (The first player will be choosing from 4.)

I've only tried this once so far but thought it worked well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ostap Bender
msg tools
We found a drafting system that works - I normally play a two player game, but no reason it can't work with 3-4.

Here is what we do - we put 4 tiles in the center of the table (i.e. two per player) and the person who was going to be the starting player instaed decides - does he want to keep starting player or does he want to be the first one to draft. If he drafts first, the other one is starting player. Or he passes and keeps starting player and the other person picks first in the draft.

The reason we like it is because it reduces the advantage of starting player, plus reduces the luck of getting dealt crappy wealth cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dima1961 wrote:
We found a drafting system that works - I normally play a two player game, but no reason it can't work with 3-4.

Here is what we do - we put 4 tiles in the center of the table (i.e. two per player) and the person who was going to be the starting player instaed decides - does he want to keep starting player or does he want to be the first one to draft. If he drafts first, the other one is starting player. Or he passes and keeps starting player and the other person picks first in the draft.

The reason we like it is because it reduces the advantage of starting player, plus reduces the luck of getting dealt crappy wealth cards.

If player 1 drafts, does player 2 get the remaining 2 tiles or are 2 more added and player 2 drafts from them?
For 2 player, I'd prefer the starting player divides up the tiles and the second player selects which pile they want.

In either case, not sure how this would scale to 4P. I would gladly go last to pick 2 tiles from an initial group of 8. Well, I think I would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.