Hide
5 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Terraforming the Temple of Goju rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Monroe
msg tools
A neat trick I used last game was to get the alien faction and load up the temple of goju with small minions (2-3 power.) Since nobody wants to "win" this base, most people will let you load up 4 or 5 minions without battling you for it. Then, when you get close to 18, terraform the card out to Rhodes Plaza Mall and hit it with a big minion. You can easily get 6-7 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Terraforming is a fantastic card and easily takes the spot of Best Alien Action Card with Crop Circles being a close second.

It has great usage and Flexibility being useable both to assist yourself and hinder others depending on what the situation demands.

One of it's uses is to turn a "Bad Scoring Base" into a "Good Scoring Base". This goes hand in hand with what you said about turning The Temple of Goju into the Rhodes Mall.

Unfortunately I find this fairly difficult and risky to pull off. Most of the "Bad Scoring Bases" including the Temple of Goju have fairly low breaking points. You are correct that nobody wants to Win the Temple of Goju however if you begin dropping minion onto it you can bet that they sure are going to want to get their grubby little fingers on the few points that the Temple of Goju does give and will drop a minion of their own on it. This is especially true if it looks like you will break the base for them (Hey if you want to break a base with 20 power worth of minions in first I am more than happy to take second with 2 power worth of minions, Note: Bases with variable point rewards exception).

So now you are in a bind. Adding more minions risks one of your opponents breaking the base before you can Terraform it but if you do Terraform it chances are you won't be able to break it immediately giving your opponents a chance to move in on the base. Aliens have pretty bad power overall so breaking the base immediately is hard unless the faction they are partnered with has good power.

On the other hand another strategy is turning a "Good Scoring Base" into a "Bad Scoring Base" such as turning the Rhodes Mall into the Temple of Goju or Ninja Dojo (2 3 2 Base). Allow another player to spam minions on the mall expecting a shower of points when it breaks but Yank those points away by Terraforming it into the Temple of Goju and use your extra plays to take second netting you a easy 3 points for all his hard work. Since the Mall's breaking point is much higher than the Temples there is much less of a risk that the Mall will break before you have a chance to Terraform it.

Alternatively if a lot of different people are playing on the Mall and getting second place will be difficult turn it into the Oasis (2 0 0 Base) and absorb their hatred as their points sink into the sand.

My Favorite use of Terraforming, however, is to turn a empty base into the Homeworld (play an extra minion of power 2 or less when you play a minion here) when I have either 2 Invaders (+1 point Alien) or an Invader and a Collector (Return a Minion of power 3 or less to it's owner's hand) in my hand.

Simply use your first play to play the Invader on the Homeworld getting you 1 point. Then use the ability of the Homeworld to play a collector there returning the Invader to my hand. Then use your second play to play the Invader on the Homeworld again getting you another 1 point. If I have any more Collectors in your hand my hand I make sure to play another one to return the Invader to the safety of my hand and really put my opponent's on high alert that I might start farming points with my Invader (My record is 6 Invader plays during 1 game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I think the aliens all around are the best faction. pair them up with zombies and you're looking good. Aliens is the only faction i can use that results in a win with less (or no) bases smashed. The terraforming card has been a mystery to me for some time till now, but since my favorite combo is zombie/aliens, I can see using it twice in a row now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
My Favorite use of Terraforming, however, is to turn a empty base into the Homeworld (play an extra minion of power 2 or less when you play a minion here) when I have either 2 Invaders (+1 point Alien) or an Invader and a Collector (Return a Minion of power 3 or less to it's owner's hand) in my hand.

THIS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.