Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi. I want to play thunderstone mainly as a solo adventure/strategy game, and so far, it fell a little short for me.
I saw the thread about only discading the cards you use. I think
the question of the topic is quite interesting, but the discussion went in a wrong direction.

What if you only discard the cards you actually are using (used their abilities or gold/attack values or used as a discard).

I was playing the lord of the rings lcg a lot. it had a nice balance between deckbuilding and then seeing if your deck can manage to win the different adventures. i love this game, it is quite strategic, you have to manage your cards and resources and focus when constructing the decks.
i was hoping to get a similar experience from Thunderstone:Advance, but i have to say, it is a lot less strategic (almost 0% if you play the epic variant), and almost only tactical. i really hate the mechanic to throw away your whole hand. this is totally random. in Mage Knight, there is also a deckbuilding mechanic and you dont have to throw away your whole hand. This way, you can strategize over one ore more turns what you want to do with your cards. I thought about some possibilites to perhaps give more depths to the gameplay and make it a more planable/strategizable and ultimatively more satisfying experience.

1.Only throw away the cards you used.
+ more stragey from turn to turn
+you dont fly through your deck and actually try to make use of all your cards and not only hope to get that one uber card every turn.
- you dont fly through your deck and have to wait a bit longer to see your newly bought cards.
- your hand can get cluddered with monsters and or unsuable cards.
-> to better this situation, i suggest creating a new "Rest" action.
basically it is prepare and rest in one step (destroy 1 card and throw awaw/keep cards you like) plus the ability to put as many monster cards from your hand to a score pile (as suggested in the root of corruption coop rules although there you only could put 1 monster away)

2.Similar to the LOTR LCG, try to use 3 monster groups first, then pick your cards specifically, as if you would construct a deck against the monsters (e.g. use their weeknesses and defend against strength). this way you can have a feeling of deck construction before the actual deckbuilding.
+adds more planning and stragegy to the preparation part of the game similar to the lort lcg.
-maybe too easy if you have always the right cards to counter the monsters. -> maybe pick more lvl3 monster to make the solo game harder.

3. Use cards from "root of corruption". they have more abilities and ways to force tough decisions from the player. they also reinforce the "disease" cards better into the game.

4.The game setup time is too long.
it sure helps to organise all the cards with the devider cards.
you could also make some preconstructed monster decks and keep them together and shuffled.

5.the play time is too long for what it is (card game).
are there possibilities to make this game faster?
maybe only use 8 cards of each lvl (instead of 10).
you could also try to draft some strarting cards to make the start faster. and you dont need to shuffle your starting deck so often

Do you have any more suggestions to that?
Greetings, Enroth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1.Only throw away the cards you used.
to better this situation, i suggest creating a new "Rest" action.
basically it is prepare and rest in one step (destroy 1 card and throw awaw/keep cards you like) plus the ability to put as many monster cards from your hand to a score pile (as suggested in the root of corruption coop rules although there you only could put 1 monster away)

The variant for the rest was already listed here. They called it as strategy action or whatever. I aways use this when I'm playing. For the monster pile, I don't think it will work because some monster have bonus, monster has gold value, and if you have no monsters in your hand, the game would be too easy.

Quote:
4.The game setup time is too long.

Use Epic thunderstone variant. Way faster to play. I can setup the game in 3 mim.

Quote:
5.the play time is too long for what it is (card game).

For me the game length is ok. We spend a life playing MMO's, Why can't spend 40 mim for a epic card game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.