1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: YOUR BOARD GAME COLLECTION IN A FILM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Birrell
msg tools
Hey everyone!

I am a London Film School student currently prepping a short film in which the lead character is an avid board game buff with a collection of hundreds of games. We need to fill the set that we are going to build with at least 300 board games (or at least board game boxes).

As we are students with a very limited budget I am appealing to all of you to ask if you are interested to lend us your collection of games (or just their boxes) for a very limited period of time. We shoot for 4 days (between the 22nd and 25th of May) and would need them for this period. The games would be stored on shelves in a clean, locked soundstage and everything would be returned in pristine condition. We would catalogue all the games as well to know just what belonged to who. We would also take care of all transportation and/or postage costs.

Please let me know if you any of you could help us out in any way, however small. You can email me at alexander.birrell@lfs-students.org.uk

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carcass One
England
Virginia Water
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have we not already had this request once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Have we not already had this request once?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/962932/london-board-game-fil...

Give them credit for finding the best place to source a collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds interesting, as it did before, but if I were sending a bunch of anything in the post to someone I didn't know then I'd first ensure they were legit, probably through the institution itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Birrell
msg tools
You can definitely check that we are legit if you wanted to contact the school which is:

The London Film School
24 Shelton Street
London, WC2H 9UB
United Kingdom
Telephone:
+44(0)20 7836 9642

info@lfs.org.uk

I didn't know about the previous post you've mentioned which was done by a friend of mine working on the film who went ahead early.

By the way, all our productions at the school are fully insured for much more than the 10,000 mentioned by a previous poster as we are an fully recognised school and a registered charity.

Thanks a lot for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Birrell
msg tools
By the way, when checking we are legit you should quote my name which is Alex Birrell and I am part of term 177/5/A

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, we're going to have to do that thread again. I'm just not sure what my motivation is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
If the games themselves don't matter - then surely it would be cheaper to just phone up local charity shops and offer them a small fee to borrow all the games they have for 4 days (Some may require a deposit), if not just buy them outright (phone up explain the situation and see if they can do you a deal).

This way you can get them from the local area and not have to cover shipping/petrol costs nor require a gamer to lend you something more precious than their soul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I were prepared to do without my collection, or part of it, for a period of time, and even allowing for the fact that I'm assured it will be taken care of, and insured, etc etc, the sheer hassle of taking all this stuff down from the shelves, carefully parceling it up in many different cartons, and then mailing them, sounds very excessive - why would anyone bother?

So, as a constructive suggestion, and I've no idea if this is at all practical, would it be possible to use the games in situ, ie, either do your filming at the home of someone who has a substantial collection, OR shoot the film, or at least the relevant scenes, in a local games shop which might enjoy the film credit and publicity.

In any event, good luck with the project!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How far can you drive to pick them up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Wright
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
300 games is a lot of boxes - the sheer logistics of moving that sort of quantity is daunting to say the least. I know some shops/clubs have that sort of number of games in libraries which would possibly be available for short-term loan, but the number of games involved would easily fill a transit van. So I'd guess you'd be limited to London.

(Spirit Games in Burton regularly trek their games library to Beer and Pretzels - but that's only a few hundred yards down the road!)

I think the key thing here is that you need a set that looks like it has hundreds of games. So what you actually need is 300 or so boxes that look like they contain games.

Check out the local charity shops, packaging suppliers, etc. as has been suggested above. Also I've seen shelves of fake books and the like in furniture shop displays - they must come from somewhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Marsden
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StroppyGnome wrote:
I think the key thing here is that you need a set that looks like it has hundreds of games. So what you actually need is 300 or so boxes that look like they contain games.

Check out the local charity shops, packaging suppliers, etc. as has been suggested above. Also I've seen shelves of fake books and the like in furniture shop displays - they must come from somewhere!

Charity shops are unlikely to have anything that most of us would consider a "proper" board game, consequently anyone from these forums watching this film would immediately glance at the background and say "WTF? Cluedo? Mousetrap? FAKE!!"

However the "fake books" idea has potential, what would be possible would be to for people to scan the sides of a whole bunch of their games and send the scans to the film-makers.

These could be pasted onto cardboard and stuck up on the shelves so it looks like there's loads of games even though it's only a facade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually, an awful lot of games (Carcassonne and Settlers spring to mind) already have scans of the box in the gallery, so it might be possible to do this without actually having to do the scanning...

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Susie_Cat wrote:

Actually, an awful lot of games (Carcassonne and Settlers spring to mind) already have scans of the box in the gallery, so it might be possible to do this without actually having to do the scanning...

Susie_Cat.

+1. In fact, I'd say it would be cheaper for the film producers to do this, rather than deal with the logistics of shipping/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We could just photograph our shelves unless they want actual product to take off of shelves and open up for any reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is just for a 'school' film, does authenticity matter that much?

The audience won't be made up of hardcore gamers, so all you'll need is boxes that looks like it contains serious games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pheznik2 wrote:
Scan the spines
Print out
Glue to cereal boxes
Done

Yeah but if one happens to come loose before filming, in years to come we'll all be searching for the "grail" game that "I once saw in a movie" called "Crunchy Nut Cornflakes".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about asking people to donate their expansion boxes if they have transferred the expansion to the main game box, for instance the dominion, thunderstone etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sharpe
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if you're depressed/bored with all the 'not my games, but why don't you try this?' responses, but...

You're in London: why don't you get in touch with local retailers, such as Orcs Nest (http://www.orcsnest.com/) or Leisure Games (http://www.leisuregames.com/) and see if they're prepared to lend you some of their stock, perhaps for a bit of publicity or a credit in the film?

They might have the volume you require and the capacity to move games the shortish distance you are from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question I have regarding this - why do you need 300 games? 20-30 should be more than enough to say Avid Gamer, and give you plenty of props to sprinkle around the set, and I'd go as high as 60 if you wanted to show the character as being a die-hard (if you want to imply him having a much larger collection - as in, several hundreds if not thousands, why not have him duck into a back room that's never shown/filled with mockup boxes and come out with the real prop as needed?).

Something else, why are you going for full games? Are they going to be interacted with during the shooting - tossed, picked up, opened, 'played', etc? If not, then why not create several 'fake' game boxes that would run you design time and printer fees, rather than the hassle of dealing with a third party for a significant amount of product that you don't necessarily need to deal with? And even if you are looking for something to interact with during the film (rather than background detail), why not contact some of the companies directly about it? You'll want their permission to use the games in the film, and they may send a couple of games they want to promote to you free of charge (hey, stranger things have happened).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockwell_666 wrote:
StroppyGnome wrote:

Charity shops are unlikely to have anything that most of us would consider a "proper" board game, consequently anyone from these forums watching this film would immediately glance at the background and say "WTF? Cluedo? Mousetrap? FAKE!!" ;)

However the "fake books" idea has potential, what would be possible would be to for people to scan the sides of a whole bunch of their games and send the scans to the film-makers.

These could be pasted onto cardboard and stuck up on the shelves so it looks like there's loads of games even though it's only a facade.
Yep, I have never found copies of 'proper' boardgames in charity shops. Just games like Thunder Road, Bull Run( AH) and heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teleogryl wrote:
Sorry if you're depressed/bored with all the 'not my games, but why don't you try this?' responses, but...

You're in London: why don't you get in touch with local retailers, such as Orcs Nest (http://www.orcsnest.com/) or Leisure Games (http://www.leisuregames.com/) and see if they're prepared to lend you some of their stock, perhaps for a bit of publicity or a credit in the film?

They might have the volume you require and the capacity to move games the shortish distance you are from them.

This is a good suggestion (and well done Tim for being helpful to them). However, they probably will have their stock still in shrink and not want them opened. That may not matter for the subject matter, the game collector might be obsessed with keeping them pristine for example. But it might be a problem for lighting the film, with glare off the shrinkwrap. But it's well worth following up.

Another source could be Esdevium, the main distributor in the UK. They might be happy to help, and have enough demo copies to use. http://www.esdeviumgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has a long and varied list of ideas for the supplying of the games now, perhaps we should wait for a response from the OP (or 2nd OP as he is, great organisation there guys). His last activity here was a week ago, so it would be nice to know he was as bothered about this as all the posters here have been.

One thing is clear, no-one here is prepared to lend out a large games library with all the effort, cost, risk and loss of access that entails for a credit on a student film, so the boardgame background element either has to be abandoned or created by one of the other methods proposed here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
They picked up 30 or 40 games from me yesterday, which had been donated to me by a guy who was moving to a smaller house. Seemed like a nice bunch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.