Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Rott
Canada
Camrose
Alberta
flag msg tools
Setup:

I want to plant chili beans.

I have three chili beans at varous places in my hand but spaced far enough apart that I probably won't get to all of them for at least a couple turns.

Another player has three chili beans in a similar dilemma and also wants to plant them.

Question is this: Can I trade my three chili beans for his three chili beans allowing us to then plant the three chili beans right away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, go ahead. That's a good strategy for getting cards out of your hand and into the fields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yep, and this is especially useful in the final turns when you may have no other way ti get cards out of your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do this frequently. Good tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You are allowed to trade in this way.
No. You are not allowed to plant them right away.
During the trading phase, all traded bean cards need to be placed on the table in front of the players who traded. As soon as the trading phase is over, the players involved in the trading, have to plant their beans on their beanfields in their order of choice.
Many people I've played with, tend to forget about this detail, but it makes a huge difference during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Tessmann III
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
Yes. You are allowed to trade in this way.
No. You are not allowed to plant them right away.
During the trading phase, all traded bean cards need to be placed on the table in front of the players who traded. As soon as the trading phase is over, the players involved in the trading, have to plant their beans on their beanfields in their order of choice.
Many people I've played with, tend to forget about this detail, but it makes a huge difference during the game.

Yes, the rules say to trade and plant in separate phases, but in practice I don’t see how it matters. Well, I should temper that statement: you could potentially accept a bean, harvest a field to plant it, then accept a later trade that gives you beans of the type you harvested, thus potentially losing yourself points. In actual gameplay, I haven't seen this happen, and it wouldn’t bother me too much if someone lost points by planting prematurely (as I do tell them about the separate phases when explaining the rules).

Can you think of a situation where a player comes out ahead by mixing trading and planting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wondered why it's specified in the rules that you have to set all the acquired beans aside and then plant them after all trading is over. I've never seen a situation where it would make a difference.

You can harvest at any time and you can plant in any order, so I just can't see how this would get abused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
randomlife wrote:
I've always wondered why it's specified in the rules that you have to set all the acquired beans aside and then plant them after all trading is over. I've never seen a situation where it would make a difference.

I have. Many times.

Quote:
You can harvest at any time and you can plant in any order, so I just can't see how this would get abused.

Not true. You cannot harvest a field with a single bean unless that is all you have. So the order you plant after trading can be very important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Quote:

Not true. You cannot harvest a field with a single bean unless that is all you have. So the order you plant after trading can be very important.
Sure, the order can be important, but the point is that planting before trading is finished is never better than waiting. I'm sure the rules are phrased the way they are for clarity, not because a player can benefit by planting and then doing more trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You cannot harvest a field with a single bean unless that is all you have. So the order you plant after trading can be very important.

Right, I didn't mean to say that you can harvest any field at any time, I meant to say that you can harvest any field that you can legally harvest at any time.

The order that I plant is definitely very important, but since I'm free to choose the order, what difference does it make if I wait until after I trade or do it between trades?

Let's say that I have a field with 1 Garden Bean and a field with 4 Blue Beans. I acquire a Red Bean in a trade. If I were allowed to plant between trades, I could just decide right then to harvest my Blue Beans and plant the Red Bean. Now let's say I continue trading and acquire a Stink Bean. I could then harvest the Garden Bean and plant the Stink Bean.

Now let's say that I stuck with the rules and waited until I finished all my trades before doing any planting. I have a field with 1 Garden Bean and a field with 4 Blue Beans. I acquire a Red bean in a trade, but I set it aside like a good Bohnanza player. No planting yet. Then I acquire a Stink Bean. Now I'm done trading so I can proceed to planting. First I harvest the Blue Beans. Then I plant the Red bean. Then I harvest the Garden Bean. Then I plant the Stink Bean.

The result is the same in both cases.

I agree that it's best for me to wait until all my trades are finished before planting anything, because maybe I'll end up with more Blue Beans in the situation above, but does it need to be enforced if a player doesn't want to wait? Unless they could get some advantage out of it, I don't think it needs to be enforced.

Maybe it's in the rules just because it's always in your own best interest to wait, so why not tell players they have to do it. Shrug.

I would definitely be interested in hearing a situation where a player could gain an advantage by doing this, though, if one exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.