Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played another game last night. Every time we play, I love the game more and more. Its my most played game in my collection, and my favorite (and heaviest.) I really haven't played such a finely tuned and balanced game before.

That being said, we've had a good opportunity to try out many of the guilds. I do like that you can play the game with random guilds, or choose your group's ideal set up (i.e. 2 interactive guilds, two resource guilds, 1 workers guild, etc)

Most guilds I find well designed and balanced. We rarely have people buying guilds..maybe one a game. But our group played, for the first time, the bandits guild (the one that allows you to steal resources from other players) and we did not like it at all!

We will probably never play with it again.

Don't misunderstand me...its not unbalanced, but it IMO, limits or forces the hands of (at least the) first two players each turn. If player 1 goes to the bandits guild, player two will most likely go to the king's court to avoid getting stolen from. In belfort, getting one or two resources stolen from you can really put a wrench in your plans!
So our game saw the first two players always going for the guild or the kings court.

Also in play was the thieves guild (imo a good little guild, not as nasty as the bandits) so this session was really stabby. The game session was all about avoiding the threat of these guilds, and compared to our other sessions, not as "free to be" in choosing what/where you place.

Before you shoot my opinion down, I will say that despite the fact that we really didn't enjoy this guild (the game was still fun!) it just goes to show how AWESOME the game is. EVERY game is strategically unique depending on what guild is out there. Sure, we may opt to never use that guild again, but no one can deny how diverse this game is.

Granted, in hindsight, someone should have bought that bandits guild to either benefit from it being used every turn, or keep people from using it (because they don't want to pay the gold to you)

Again, not saying the bandits guild is broken at all, just stating that it felt a little too stabby for our group and that our hands did feel forced in that we had to either go for that guild or play to defend against it, whereas our other games weren't as restricted.

-AMAZING game, love it, anyone else have any thoughts/feelings on this or any other guilds in the game?

-Has anyone played the Wizard's Guild yet? We haven't, wondering if that will be similar.

PS - can't wait to get more guilds from the expansion! (I just ordered the promo guilds off the BGG marketplace and backed the new expansion on kickstarter!)

Cheers to Belfort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cormier
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome comments! You know what - I totally agree with you!! I am actually not a huge fan of the Bandits' Guild myself!!! We added it because there are players out there that do indeed like a bit of 'take that' in their Euro!

I'm excited about you trying out the Wizards' Guild as that is my favourite Guild!! It really is powerful to grab it on a scoring round!!! Let me know what you think of it once you try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcormier wrote:
Awesome comments! You know what - I totally agree with you!! I am actually not a huge fan of the Bandits' Guild myself!!! We added it because there are players out there that do indeed like a bit of 'take that' in their Euro!

I'm excited about you trying out the Wizards' Guild as that is my favourite Guild!! It really is powerful to grab it on a scoring round!!! Let me know what you think of it once you try it.

I absolutely will! Thanks for chiming in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't like any of the Interactive guilds (apart from the Wizards) and take them out before randomising the 5 ones to use.

I have to admit to preferring the Resource guilds due to being able to build more each turn (which is the part of the game I enjoy most).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the........

Yes..the fabulous wizards guild!

Early rounds (or seasons if you like) , the wizards guild ( or "switcheroo" guild if you like) just sits there.... It sits, it waits, it sits, it waits, patiently for its moment of glory.

This gild is responsible for "gaming gold" on game night at my brother Gary's house.
Picture the scene, 5 player, my wife Donna and myself, my brother Gary and his wife Kim and Gary's son Jack.
(First time playing Belfort for my brothers clan, for my wife a d I, we had many games prior).

So...the game is going well, a few rounds in and everyone seems to have the hang of it and holding their own.

Ok I had used the wizards guild earlier in the game (once), no one else bothered with it.
It's now the final turn of the game...I have the final turn, I also have a dwarf on the wizards guild....

It was getting late, I just couldn't see clearly where I could make good use of the wizards guild until Kim proclaimed " oh wait a minute..yes, oh no , no it won't....?...YES!! , swap your pub for Gary's pub and you will dominate this section!!!

She was right!!

Gary was not impressed.....at all, called her a name, she called one back ( minor(ish) spat.

I calmed things down stating that " it will probably make no difference to the game outcome"
How wrong was I??

We tot up the scoring...I won!!! ,.... By ONE point...Gary was SECOND.
Everyone burst out laughing loudly...apart from Gary...he left the room!!!!

IT WAS GAMING GOLD and still something we refer to now and again..it was "that" funny.
My favourite guild!!

We have Belfort set up for a 3 player session today , we pick our guilds these days as voting at game set up....

As you can clearly see, there's the baby!!!..

Love Belfort!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's very fun how the guilds make every game different.

Quote:

I do like that you can play the game with random guilds, or choose your group's ideal set up (i.e. 2 interactive guilds, two resource guilds, 1 workers guild, etc)

There's a 3rd option that might be in my favorite. No idea if it's in the rules, it's just something my group does sometimes. Draft the guilds, each player taking turns picking a guild. If player # doesn't work out, fill the extra guilds with random ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guild drafting...nice idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
Most guilds I find well designed and balanced. We rarely have people buying guilds..maybe one a game. But our group played, for the first time, the bandits guild (the one that allows you to steal resources from other players) and we did not like it at all!

Don't misunderstand me...its not unbalanced, but it IMO, limits or forces the hands of (at least the) first two players each turn. If player 1 goes to the bandits guild, player two will most likely go to the king's court to avoid getting stolen from.

I'll be pedantic, and point out that the King's Court doesn't actually prevent you from getting stolen from. That's only true if you can spend all your resources before he gets his turn. If you don't manage to do that, the bandit can still steal from your remnants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.