Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Wild
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have explored a location, what do I do if the Encounter Deck turns up another copy of it in a phase of the game that would put it in the staging area?

I'm somewhat embarrassed to be asking this since it seems so basic to the game that it has to be somewhere in the rules. I guess I've just missed it.

From a "common sense" point of view, it doesn't make sense to keep having to explore the same location. If I was trekking through Mirkwood and I explored the Enchanted Stream once, if I came across it again I'd say, "That's just that dumb ol' enchanted stream. You don't scare me Enchanted Stream."

But from a game mechanic point of view, that seems somewhat questionable because if you just discard it, then that makes the game sort of easy-mode later in the encounter deck.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do add it to the stagging area even if you explored another Enchanted Stream earlier. It is quite a different Enchanted Stream and it is slightly trickier than the previous one and it managed to fool you again.

Oh, and remember not to drink the water from it as it will prevent you from drawing cards for some reason. Or maybe you just stare at your reflection in it.

Edit: Ok, I checked the flavour text.

Enchanted Stream wrote:

"There is one stream there, I know, black and strong which crosses the path. That you should neither drink of, nor bathe in: for I have heard that it carries enchantment and a great drowsiness and forgetfulness." - Beorn, The Hobbit

So apparently you do not heed the warning, even if Beorn was with you at the time, and you drink from it and you become drowsy and you don't draw cards and then you forget where it was and that's why you can stubble upon it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudling
msg tools
Today playing the Mirkwood scenario I had 5 Locations in the staging area and was already at 1 location! I tried to continue for a short while but realized it would just take too long so I quit. I SHUFFLED THOSE CARDS SO DAMN GOOD BEFORE HAND ASWELL! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to bring some Northern Trackers...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killcrystal wrote:
Today playing the Mirkwood scenario I had 5 Locations in the staging area and was already at 1 location!

This is the difficulty of that scenario. The enemies aren't as tough as the land they live in. If you're playing out of a single core set, the tactics deck will be the most challenging on this scenario. It can certainly win, but it will have the hardest time for a newbie.

Quote:
I SHUFFLED THOSE CARDS SO DAMN GOOD BEFORE HAND ASWELL! cry

"Random" isn't the same thing as "perfectly interleaved." A random shuffle allows for clumps, as any card order is equally likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK...Thematically...Your tromping around in a dark forest with Spiders, Trolls, and all kinds of nasty mutants chasing you. Sometimes, you just 'end up' running around in a circle. The result, of course is that you turn a corner and BAM! it's where you've just been. shake That's the breaks (reality) of this game. Better take some trackers along, and plan on dealing with the return locations. This game is not easy, but tremendously rewarding as you complete the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Wild
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have discovered the utility of Northern Trackers. We've already formed a lovely friendship. I've mixed and matched and made a deck that completes both Mirkwood and Journey down the Anduin. It's a bit of a slow deck and susceptible to being overwhelmed right at first, so I have a bit more work to do on it.

Anyway, thanks for the just shitty news. I'll continue bumbling my way through Mirkwood, stomping on spiders and repeatedly cursing the Enchanted Stream.

I actually have another question, since you all are just so helpful I'll just whip it out.

Do Treachery cards revealed as the "shadow" cards during an enemy's attack have their "when revealed" shadow effect? Or do they only take effect if they have a "Shadow" effect?

I don't have any clever argument for this one, other than Treachery cards are just plain nasty. Even with what's-her-face, Eleanor. One cute elf can't stem the tide of darkness. I mean we are talking about Sauron after all, a corrupted Maiar, Lieutenant of Morgoth. If some no-name elven lady could just exhaust herself and hold him in check, well, why was there a whole war and dead oathbreakers and oliphants and vaguely middle-eastern, racially stereotyped evil people? Someone should have told Eleanor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
entwater wrote:
I actually have another question, since you all are just so helpful I'll just whip it out.

Do Treachery cards revealed as the "shadow" cards during an enemy's attack have their "when revealed" shadow effect? Or do they only take effect if they have a "Shadow" effect?

Cards that are revealed as "shadow" cards during the enemy's attack only have the printed "shadow" effect that needs to be resolved. The regular text does not get resolved as a "shadow" effect. If there is no printed "shadow" effect, it does nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.