Popular Tags: [View All]
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, this has been a fantastic week and I really enjoyed my time getting to know more about the BGG users. But with all other GotW, my week has come to an end and with that, I get to spill the beans on my Two truths and One Lie, so here goes.

Truth - 1. On a guess, I opened the 3 number safe combination in the game MYST on my first try.
This was AWESOME! I was playing MYST on a PS1, remember, I couldn't afford a PC back then. I came across a room with a safe with a 3 number 0-9 combination. I figured since I was there, what could it hurt to give it a try. I hadn't gotten to the point in game where I would have figured out the combo, so I chose my three numbers, spoiler, here they are, 724 and BAM! it opened.

Truth - I own a Rocket Firing Boba Fett action figure. Ok, I know people are calling shenanigans here but it is true. I own a regulation Hasbro Rocket firing Boba Fett on an unpunched card. Now here's the rub, it isn't the legacy one from the 80's that never made it to the public. It is however a 2010 mail away vintage figure on a vintage card. It looks just like the one that was promised to all of us back in the day, so yes, I own two actually, one to open one to keep sealed.

Lie - I once won a contest to name the GI. Joe action figure/animated movie Character, “Nemesis Enforcer”. Nope, this never happened, although it would have been really kool.

Ok, enough about me, it is time to introduce you to your next Geek of the Week. It is with great pleasure that introduce you to Derek Osborne. I met Derek last year at a distributor show in Seattle, we had our booths next to each other and we really hit it off. Since then, I have kept in touch with Derek through social media as well as seeing him at every show I go to. He is a professional in every sense of the word and is great to talk to if you need any info on miniatures, this guy is a lexicon of info, trust me.

In any case, I know he will enjoy answering all of the questions that you will all have, so without further delay, take it away Derek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
I once qualified for the Quarter Finals in a Magic The Gathering Pro Tour.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
True
61.0% 36
False
39.0% 23
Voters 59
I once spent a night in Jail in Mexico while in California for a paintball tournament.
True
50.8% 31
False
49.2% 30
Voters 61
My Honeymoon was cancelled because of 9/11.
True
70.0% 42
False
30.0% 18
Voters 60
This poll is now closed.   65 answers
Poll created by Brenzor
Closes: Sat May 4, 2013 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! It looks like you're very new to the geek and I can't watch your video because it's listed as private. Still, some basic questions to ask:

1) What's the best 2012 game you've played so far?

2) As a new user, what strikes you as the most useful part of BGG? (You can wait to answer this one for a bit.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Best GotW video ever - I loved the "This video is private" part!

Also, I think this is a record time for registration-to-GotW. I am very curious to learn more.

To start you off, where did CMON get its name from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The video doesn't work and it seems that the user account isn't active. What's going on here?

In case Derek decides to sign in again: congratulations!

A few questions:

what...
1) ... did you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday?
2) ...'s your favorite drink?
3) ...'s your favorite food?
4) ...'s your favorite / most self-cooked recipe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Can't see the video.
No information on the profile page.
Logged into the site once.
Have I got the right guy?

??

Oh well CONGRATS Derek

Whoever you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I think Derek will be making this public tonight. Fear not, he's a talker and will be a blast to bounce questions off of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
Heh, I think Derek will be making this public tonight. Fear not, he's a talker and will be a blast to bounce questions off of.

I was thinking this was going to go live later then it did, so video is now set to public! Sorry for the lock down all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Solen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, a new user as GOTW! I guess there is hope for us all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borderline wrote:
Congrats! It looks like you're very new to the geek and I can't watch your video because it's listed as private. Still, some basic questions to ask:

1) What's the best 2012 game you've played so far?

2) As a new user, what strikes you as the most useful part of BGG? (You can wait to answer this one for a bit.)

1) I spent a huge amount of time playtesting a number of internal projects and honestly did not play much outside of company products, however I did really enjoy cracking out some NetRunner - I loved that card game way back when.

2) Right now it's pretty overwhelming. I've known about BGG for years but always dropped in to just check a few reviews from time to time. There's such an incredible amount of resources here, it's pretty tough to pick a place to start. ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Congratulations! Best GotW video ever - I loved the "This video is private" part!

Also, I think this is a record time for registration-to-GotW. I am very curious to learn more.

To start you off, where did CMON get its name from?

Should be square on the video now! Let me know if there's any issues.

I love to break records!!!

When CMON was created there was a few rating websites around, one of which was called 'hot or not' where someone would post up a picture of themselves for interweb scrutiny. Cool Mini or Not was created as a site to post up painted miniature or sculpting work for the same purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fourmyle21 wrote:
The video doesn't work and it seems that the user account isn't active. What's going on here?

In case Derek decides to sign in again: congratulations!

A few questions:

what...
1) ... did you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday?
2) ...'s your favorite drink?
3) ...'s your favorite food?
4) ...'s your favorite / most self-cooked recipe?

Thank you!

1) Breakfast was my usual protein shake, lunch was toast smothered in creamy peanut butter (I LOVE peanut butter!) and dinner was a fantastic Chicken Parmesan over angel hair pasta.
2) Alcoholic? Don't drink much but when I do, it's a Midori Sour - the rest of the time I suck down a ton of water or Fruit Punch Spark.
3) Carbs....er Pizza.
4) Crepes. It's the most requested from friends and family, I'm told they are world class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Hmm. Can't see the video.
No information on the profile page.
Logged into the site once.
Have I got the right guy?

??

Oh well CONGRATS Derek

Whoever you are.

You do have the right guy! And thank you!

Like the callers on the radio say 'long time listener, first time caller!!'...or in this case 'long time visitor, first time register!!!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Solo wrote:
Wow, a new user as GOTW! I guess there is hope for us all.

It was completely unexpected and is a tremendous honor! I'm humbled and amazed that someone would give me credence for GotW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwih
wCongratulations Derek!w
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwih
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Derek, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG (officially) and congratulations on being Geek of the Week, Derek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Derek!

Greetings from Denmark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice surprise. Congrats Oz. Now you have to come to the BGG con. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Derek! Enjoy your week as GotW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big congratulations to you Derek! Great bio video. We geeks are so similar in so many ways.

1. Favortite Dr. Seuss book?
2. Hulk vs Cable. (I'll let you and Jason argue this one)
2. Have you played Star Craft?
3. Worse place you ever got shot playing paintball? devil
5. Dr. Seuss vs Hulk?

Have a great week and enjoy yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Jesper - Greetings from the state of Washington!

@Chief - It's a large possibility as I'll be relocating to GA in August.

@Ludovic - Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the current run I feel it's time to remind the current GOTW of the nomination process in the GOTW wiki

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Geek_of_the_Week

Oh and congrats on the nomination. I hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Osborne
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greyelephant wrote:
Big congratulations to you Derek! Great bio video. We geeks are so similar in so many ways.

1. Favortite Dr. Seuss book?
2. Hulk vs Cable. (I'll let you and Jason argue this one)
2. Have you played Star Craft?
3. Worse place you ever got shot playing paintball? devil
5. Dr. Seuss vs Hulk?

Have a great week and enjoy yourself!

Thanks Tim!

1) Tough question, I love so many of them, The Lorax, One Fish Two Fish, Hand Hand Fingers Thumb (I know it's not written by Seuss, but it's a Seuss book) Green Eggs and Ham...so many great books. But if I had to pick just one, it would probably be Hop on Pop.
2) Hulk would tie Cable in a knot and toss him in the trash.
2) Yes, I still have the first one and the expansion in a box in the garage, I also have the SE SC2 box next to every other SE Blizzard release in my closet on the bookshelf. I only played through 3 missions in SC2.
3) Tip of the finger. The time I got lit up from behind at practice by my buddy Jesse in the back and neck when he had his gun on full auto is however a close second, he was roughly 2 feet away from me and we were playing in t-shirts.
5) No clear winner here as the good Dr. would confound the Hulk with his word smithery to such an extant that the Hulk would become so angry he would just destroy the planet. I'm afraid we'd all lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.