Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just came back from one of our regular gatherings of game friends. We typically play euros but I have recently become drawn to war games. Notably, I really enjoy World War II Operation Barbarossa and have played quite a few scenarios and acquired many of the expansion kits to try homemade scenarios.

Today one of my own of town, infrequent friends came for a visit and brought over an estate auction box of titles that I have never played, although heard. I was hoping you fine folks on the forums might give me suggestions for which to play first and what makes it your first choice:

Air Force - AH
The Twilight War - TSR
Sixth Fleet
7th Fleet
Tactics II

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with the fleet series. They games that find a perfect balance between simulation and playability. The game mechanics are original and rules are written very clearly. This, along with the programmed instructions style of rules mean you will be able to start playing very quickly. They also play well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
I would start with the fleet series. They games that find a perfect balance between simulation and playability. The game mechanics are original and rules are written very clearly. This, along with the programmed instructions style of rules mean you will be able to start playing very quickly. They also play well solo.

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleet series are nice and quick. Low counter density, some planning, some gambling. The CRT is a little bit complex and need some time to digest. But overall, they are all good games. Different scenarios has different depth. You may want to try a different scenarios if you find previous one is too simple or too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
enlightenedknave wrote:
bolter wrote:

What he said.

What they said, but I would recommend 7th Fleet first. Sixth Fleet was the first in the series, but there were significant rule changes from 6th to 2nd Fleet (the second in the series) and playing 7th Fleet first will allow you to easily play 2nd, 5th, or 3rd. I do enjoy Sixth Fleet, especially since it covers the Med Sea and, from a geopolitical standpoint, is an interesting game to play but 7th is certainly where I would start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixth Fleet! I have not played the other Fleets but this one was my first and only love... plus when you sink the New Jersey you get to hear your opponent scream "You sank my Battleship!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Paul Shabatowski wrote:

Today one of my own of town, infrequent friends came for a visit and brought over an estate auction box of titles that I have never played, although heard. I was hoping you fine folks on the forums might give me suggestions for which to play first and what makes it your first choice:

Air Force - AH
The Twilight War - TSR
Sixth Fleet
7th Fleet
Tactics II

Thanks

I know all of these except the TSR game.

None of them are good early forays into wargaming. Most are
very complex games. The lone exception is Tactics II, which
is simple enough, but not terribly interesting, IMO. If you're
resigned to jumping in with something from this collection,
I guess it's the best choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Air Force was one of my favorite games as a kid. The great thing about starting with it, is that you can play with a small number of enemy bombers and play a pair of fighters- so you've got a very low unit density that you'd pretty much never see in any land combat game.

Adding the Dauntless expansion, with attacks on enemy ships makes it even better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh bother - I read Air War.

Oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Oops.

That would not be a good introduction to wargaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
resQscooter wrote:
calandale wrote:

Oops.

That would not be a good introduction to wargaming!

Yeah. I don't know how much simpler the Fleet series really is though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fleet Series is at least programmed into intro, intermediate, and advanced scenarios so you only learn one chunk of rules at a time which might make it easier to digest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No land campaign games there except Tactics II! Not much here I would call representative of wargaming as a hobby. T2 is a collectable, not a player.

Get on ebay and find a copy of Blitzkrieg. They can be found all the time dirt cheap. It has no actual historical setting so the game is near perfectly matched. It also demonstrates all the basic aspects of most land based wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ill just add that Sixth Fleet was my first wargame. I played it to death in my early teens (loved it, 2nd fleet too), I never found it particularly complex. Certainly take a shot at one of the intro scenarios, ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics II for a few plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
If you didn't get Case Blue in that pile, I guess you'll have to settle for one of the Fleet games. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.