Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the android version since it was free and discovered that I've been playing it wrong.

For some reason I misread the rules and when I moved I picked up the entire row of ice tiles not just the tile I started on. When the android version didn't pick up all the tiles I was like, Hey! Those Are All Supposed To Be My Fish! I got my box out and re-read the rules, sure enough I've been playing it wrong all this time.

I'll probably use my old way as a variant now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I have been playing it wrong too, but not that badly! What I found out I've been doing wrong is that you are supposed to place penguins on 1-fish tiles at setup. We had been putting them on any tile (which pretty much means 3-fish tiles every time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
I just picked up the android version since it was free and discovered that I've been playing it wrong.

For some reason I misread the rules and when I moved I picked up the entire row of ice tiles not just the tile I started on. When the android version didn't pick up all the tiles I was like, Hey! Those Are All Supposed To Be My Fish! I got my box out and re-read the rules, sure enough I've been playing it wrong all this time.

I'll probably use my old way as a variant now.

I love how video games and board games can compliment each other and actually ADD to the actual gaming experience!

(smiles warmly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes me wonder what other games I might have misread the rules in. Oh well it's fun both ways!

I agree Endless Dreamer, and your Calvin and Hobbes microbadge made me smile warmly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Wow, I have been playing it wrong too, but not that badly! What I found out I've been doing wrong is that you are supposed to place penguins on 1-fish tiles at setup. We had been putting them on any tile (which pretty much means 3-fish tiles every time).

Ditto exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endless dreamer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:

I agree Endless Dreamer, and your Calvin and Hobbes microbadge made me smile warmly.

Thanks Josh! I explained this game to a 4 year old 2 days ago just like this ...

The fish are FROZEN in the ice! How do penguins get frozen fish out of ice? You got to peck at them and work them out of the ice while other people are taking their turns. So when it's your turn to move next you get to take those fish with you and move on to another spot in the ice. But if you don't go in a straight line the ice would crack and fall apart instantly! So you have to be careful and make sure your line is straight.

For some reason, she totally got it! I was pretty proud of her. Now, when she cornered herself and it was time to take her penguin away I told her... "Oh no! The whale sees that you can't move anywhere else and he jumps up and eats you (nom nom)." (just like from the video game)

She looked at me and put her hand on the table and said, "Let's not play any more so the whale doesn't eat them." HAHAHAHA!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.