Subject: Science and Technology Quiz: The Next Level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Journey with us deeper into the bicameral mind of RSP.

If you dare.
[spooky music]
Poll
1. Question 14.
Evaporation from Earth's oceans has been occurring for over 3 billion years. Evaporation from the oceans will be continuing in the future when Jesus arrives in 2025.

True
False
2. Question 15.
"You are worried, you must be under suspicion, what with those lacuna in your family history, but you see no sign of any unusual surveillance, and beside it's not as if there is anything definite in the records, or give-away physical characteristics. And you've heard that highly placed others have missing fore-mother data too. Though there is that nick-name from early childhood that appears in your dreams some nights. That name must just be co-incidence, though it's a relief that they don't know about it. So how to best demonstrate the efficacy of this new drug that you have developed? You've been given a population to experiment on, but you worry that they will take note of how you choose to test it, they read so much into people's actions - administering it to all of the detainees at once might demonstrate a convincing dismisal of the detainee's humanity, a unthinking rejection of them and the social disruption they cause, or would it look like you were seeking to impress, desparate to be convincing? Would doing a standard DBRAIP (double blind, random assignment, including placebo) be less likely to attract extra suspicion and look like you were confident of them correctly appraising you? Or would that make it look like you weren't really confident, even brash, that you were trying to avoid attention, to blend in?"
The scientist in the above passage is not clear which way would be better to demonstrate the efficacy of their new drug. The actual efficacy of the drug is not presented as the scientist's main concern.

True
False
      8 answers
Poll created by Pinook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
The questions in the other quiz had a clear purpose, to get a rough gauge of the public's knowledge of some basic scientific facts (and then for people using the website to compare themselves with those results).

Not that I'm saying these questions don't have a purpose too, but it's unlikely to be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Not that I'm saying these questions don't have a purpose too, but it's unlikely to be the same.
God forbid. We are not replicating - we are extending!

"Do the newly purposed hot quiz and find out if you can make it on The Next Level now"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
God forbid. We are not replicating - we are extending!

"Do the newly purposed hot quiz and find out if you can make it on The Next Level now"

I think extending usually implies an extension of purpose too

But my point was more whether your questions were constructed in a way that suited your purpose. It's clear they are constructed with a very different purpose in mind than the previous quiz.

I can't imagine many correspondents actually bothering to read and answer the second, for example. Which is more a question about science, rather than a scientific question. Although I'm sure we can all agree that the scientist isn't clear about anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Dolphinandrew wrote:
... Although I'm sure we can all agree that the scientist isn't clear about anything at all.

Their worry, the nickname needing to remain secret, the suspicion around their ancestors, the surveillance, the personal danger, the need to make the correct decision; none of these seem clear to the scientist when you read it?

Curious. They are clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
... Although I'm sure we can all agree that the scientist isn't clear about anything at all.

Their worry, the nickname needing to remain secret, the suspicion around their ancestors, the surveillance, the personal danger, the need to make the correct decision; none of these seem clear to the scientist when you read it?

The one thing that I've learned from RSP is that there is a lot of stuff that's clear to Pinook and no one else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I owe it all to St DDJ and the vision of his brain in a jar sliding along a possibility tree, structuring future genocides.

If I see more clearly it is only because I am fogging up the glasses of giants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:

I would hope so. You wrote it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Pinook wrote:

I have tried writing down my memories of dreams when I awake to a early AM alarm clock.
Your hope falls in pieces when I return, during daylight hours, to descriptions I had found perfectly sensible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
Pinook wrote:

I have tried writing down my memories of dreams when I awake to a early AM alarm clock.
Your hope falls in pieces when I return, during daylight hours, to descriptions I had found perfectly sensible.

Is that comparable to this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Pinook is writing his postings while in the throes of a dream, much that has been mysterious would be much clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.