Subject: the a,b,c of successful monster hunting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Zammit
England
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've recently acquired The Coast, having fallen in love with A Touch of Evil, and it's the cherry on top of the theme-filled cake.

However, I've also noticed that this new addition has definitely coincided with a dramatically increased number of occasions where my heroes have failed, sometimes comically sometimes calamitously, to stop the siren/dreamweaver/ghost ship/sunken seven, from destroying all that they hold dear.

In light of this I'd thought I'd appeal to all you seasoned monster hunters out there; what are your AToE priorities? How does your strategy change as the game progresses?

I know there's more than enough randomness out there to scupper any strategy but my:

a) grab and hoard investigation jealously for guns/tools/amulet
b) investigate elders
c) get lair card and move fast

…has always worked pretty well. Until now. Heck, I've even wussed out to the extent of using the basic cooperative chart.

So, what do you guys do? Should I change tack?

Thanks for any ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I say, just go on do what you do and kill monsters any time you need. Maybe choose a designated monster killer. I´d go easy on revealing town elders secrets. It´s to big of a risk. If you want a safer game that is. I always reveal Sophies secret(s) and if I´m lucky she joins me.

Tactics always vary depending on the boss. But the game is more based on random and luck really. The biggest problem is the mystery cards. There are some mean cards in the deck that really ruins the whole thing.

I never use the advanced cooperative chart. Mainly because it´s just incredibly boring. It doesn´t give any flavor to the game at all. It´s just messy.
I always use the basic one. I would suggest to use the showdown chart instead.

My feel of the game is that it becomes what you make of it in many cases. You can start revealing secrets, visiting all the locations, and you will have a tougher game, cause bad things will happen that way, most certanly. Or you can sneak around and just concentrate on the most important doings.
I prefer to play it in a "story based" way. Taking risks and all that. It makes it more fun.

In Arkham Horror for example, the game seems to have a life of its own.

Well, that´s my view of the game. I do like ATOE a lot though, even if it doesn´t have much of a surprise value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple of quick ones I'll throw out real quick is make sure to fight & kill Minions to keep their numbers low enough that you don't run out & accelerate the movement of the Shadow Track & to seize on any opportunity to cancel "Remains In Play" cards that move the Shadow Track, or opportunities to move it back as needed.

There are various strategies you can employ on how to buff your Hero for the Showdown, but if you don't keep the Shadow Track under control, you'll never get the chance.
---MS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of it also comes down to a familiarity with the corner location decks, and playing to your character's strengths when deciding where to go, i.e. the windmill for a cunning based character, the manor for a spirit or book based character, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Feffe wrote:
Tactics always vary depending on the boss. But the game is more based on random and luck really.

I never use the advanced cooperative chart. Mainly because it´s just incredibly boring. It doesn´t give any flavor to the game at all. It´s just messy.
I always use the basic one. I would suggest to use the showdown chart instead.

In Arkham Horror for example, the game seems to have a life of its own.

1. I'd have to agree AToE game does have a ton of "random" to it.

2. Arkham Horror is a great game; but like any game you have to be playing it with the right people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategery from "The Coast"....

All I've discovered so far is-

1) watch the new Town Elders like a hawk! Don't peek at their secrets unless you can replace one or more of them, and you'd be much safer if they all got killed early on (especially the Widow Jessica)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If the Sunken Seven is the Villain, you want to reveal Widow Jessica's secrets right away cause she'll probably be evil- which means the Seven will kill her and get her out of the way for you.

But you do want them joining you on the board, if at all possible. They can be super-powerful either as allies or as enemies.

2) Harpies suck.

3) Thoroughly explore The Lost Ship if you get the chance.

...plus I gotta add, "ATOE" has a life of it's own just as much as Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add that there's always tension in the game between hanging around in town to up your spirit and cunning, collect event cards, buy stuff, and heal on the one hand; and hitting all the corner locations enough to collect their goodies on the other.

Since investigators can normally carry only three town items, you want to get the good stuff that locations hold, but I always find that it's a struggle to get to the locations before time runs out.

Don't forget to collect those events, especially in co-op. A couple of Team Work cards, Battle Fury, and others can multiply your attack strength in a Showdown. See my session report "Banshee of Shadowbrook" for an example. Valeria flew at the Banshee with, IIRC, 21 dice and had some reroll abilities, too! Devastating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one key strategy I overlooked- try to collect as many Event cards as you can.
They're harder to come by in The Coast...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feffe wrote:
I never use the advanced cooperative chart. Mainly because it´s just incredibly boring. It doesn´t give any flavor to the game at all. It´s just messy. I always use the basic one. I would suggest to use the showdown chart instead.

I agree. The ACC seems to slow the game down by always having alot to do each Mystery Phase and many of the events seem a little random. However, note that I play a lot of solo and the ACC does add fun when playing with several experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Zammit
England
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, there's lots of great advice there!

Well we finally beat the Sunken Seven tonight, meaning we've now defeated all of the villains at least once. Woop whoop.

Rather than hitting the investigation trail (which had been resulting in far too many mystery card draws form visiting dangerous locations) I began by staying in town upping all stats as much as pos (for ghastly horde and minion chart purposes). Then I hit the corner locations for some goodies and ghost hunting. Seemed to work quite well.

I think that's one thing I've learnt, I have a tendency to get distracted by the investigation that's located in massively dangerous places. Bad idea.

Thanks again all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about getting Investigation from the board- the "Hauntings" (ie the individual Sunken Seven ghosts) are a gold-mine for clues if you can beat them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.