tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
There is enough opportunity for trolling as it is. We don't need to institutionalize it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
...so I can express my criticism without raising my profile.

This is just why there aren't thumbs down. It's not a criticism but merely a drive-by expression of disapproval, and it can easily be taken as hurtful.

Posts that are merely bad sink into obscurity. Even the ones that are hot today will cool with time.

Posts that are positively pernicious call for response with articulated reasons rather than just nigh-anonymous disdain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
There is enough opportunity for trolling as it is. We don't need to institutionalize it.

This. More concise than my reply.

ninjad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why so negative?

MORE LOVE!

MORE LOVE, I SAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is

it is just in the shape of a red "X"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Also they did the thumbs down symbol for a while, it really really really didn't work. (games gonna game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
Also they did the thumbs down symbol for a while, it really really really didn't work. (games gonna game)

Agreed. Thumbs down were tried for a few months, probably 2007 or so, and it just caused major issues around the community. I'm all for keeping it positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
korxonthos wrote:
There are some comments and reviews on BBG with which I disagree so thoroughly that I really wish there was a thumbs down button, so I can express my criticism without raising my profile. Seriously, I really wish BBG could implement a thumbs down button, or else every post that agrees with with a negative review with 30+ thumbs will drive me berserk.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "without raising your profile". If you mean that you want your disapproval to remain anonymous, you seem to be forgetting that anyone can check to see who thumbed a post. I assume it would be the same if anyone down-thumbed a post.

And then you have the issue of somebody down-thumbing a post just because they hold a personal grudge against someone. And there are people that would go through and down-thumb every single post of somebody else just because that person gave them a down-thumb. And other people will get all of their friends to down-thumb somebody's post(s) because the other person gave them a down-thumb. And I could go on and on. I've seen stuff like that on reddit, even though those thumbs are anonymous. We don't need that here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't and didn't make the site a nicer place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
A long time ago in a BGG far far away...

Thumb Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thumbs down might work if it didn't display the usernames of who thumbed what. You get more honesty out of people when the system is anonymous, for better or for worse. The powers that be have decided that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
OK. I get the point.

Well, then ...
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:

And that's putting it mildly. It got poisonous very quickly, and the down thumbs were yanked to much relief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
.. fan
badge
mbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
there is

it is just in the shape of a red white "X"
FTFY! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmbmbmb
The main purpose of the thumbs is to bring attention to the content that is most interesting. Thumbs down was almost counterproductive for that purpose. If a lot of people like something, it is probably interesting, even if a lot of other people don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dakarp wrote:
The main purpose of the thumbs is to bring attention to the content that is most interesting. Thumbs down was almost counterproductive for that purpose. If a lot of people like something, it is probably interesting, even if a lot of other people don't like it.

I disagree. You're trying to impart some sense of quality with the thumb system, but really the system appears to suffer from way too much "groupthink" to really serve as a reliable means of determining post quality, especially when what makes a post worthwhile is so subjective to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was, in fact, tried many years ago now. It was a race to the bottom. Totally lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
But why does YouTube have a thumbs down button?

Have you read YouTube comments? They make RSP look positively genteel.

Also YouTube used to have a 1-4 or 5 star rating system which was much more beneficial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say youtube is an example of a failed community - yuck! I want to be as far away from that as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with several posters here that it is much better to keep things on the up and up. Thumbs up that is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
But why does YouTube have a thumbs down button?

For the same reason every other YouTube comment contains a profanity or a personal insult or an add for discounted sneakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.