Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Richard III: The Wars of the Roses unbalanced? My wife and I enjoy the game but are concerned that the Lancaster side is doomed, at least most of the time. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that for the Lancasters to have a chance against a skillful opponent they're going to have to be patient and wait for the York side to make a mistake. A skillful opponent isn't likely to make a mistake. A skillful opponent will take their time and grind out a comfortable three turn win.

Defensive bonuses are just too powerful to ignore. The Lancasters against a skillful opponent are maybe going to need to make a few successful heir charges and have a bit of luck to win.

The problem I find with the game is not an imbalance so much as playing the Lancasters just isn't as fun as playing the Yorks. Playing the Yorks is fun (not just because they win), so the game is doing something right. Damn... sounds like a challenge. You've made me want to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For more data, check the results of the poll in this thread, which includes feedback from more than 50 people:

Poll and discussion about balance: Does the game favour Lancaster or York?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.