Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So after some time, and effort, I silently persuaded my friend Mike to go and buy a boardgame.
He enjoyed playing boardgames occasionally, but he never went even close to consider buying some serious boargame.
My enthusiasm for the world of placement/strategy and the many matches we had with Lords of waterdeep and Cyclades made him change his attitude and now I'm proud he's one of us.
He started looking at the best ranked games, as we all did at the beginning, then he watched reviews for each game that caught his attention.

After some time he came to my house with his wife Arianne, and brought Puerto Rico along. What a surprise! I had never played Puerto Rico and was really glad he decided to buy it.
After a quick overview of the rules (made hard by a very bad Italian translation) we started the game.

Mike and Arianne had had a quick game on their own previously so they were already confident with their moves, while I struggled a bit before realizing the best tactic to get as much gold and as many colonists/plantations as possible in few turns. I decided to go for the Hacenda (+1 free plantation) and the University (+1 colonist for each building purchased).

After few rounds Mike and Arianne had already produced many different goods while I had great production power but for 1 only good: sugar.
Arianne decided to ship her goods for points by taking the Captain.
The very first boat had some coffe already loaded, she started by filling the 2nd boat with wheat, Mike followed by loading indigo on the 3rd boat. I had a big amount of sugar, but couldn't load it on any ship. I also had no warehouse to store the goods so I lost all my goods in one go. Both Mike and Arianne had a little warehouse so they could load most of their goods and save the rest.
They repeated the trick for a couple of turns, while I couldn't afford a warehouse yet. I did not want to surrender to their attacks,arrrh so instead of producing I decided to save some money by selling my sugar and picking the most gold-providing roles for a few rounds. Mike and Arianne kept on producing/shipping goods.
At the end of the game I managed to buy both the Fortress (to earn 1VP each 3 workers) and the Residence (to earn 7 VP for my 12 plantations/caves on the board) and since I had many workers and plantations the final result was Mike:41, Arianne:34, me:43

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb
tip because I can see you are working towards your avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed a game I've been playing over 10 years and still want to play most weeks.

Seeing as you had some rules problems you might not be aware that there are official recommendations to switch the prices of University and Factory, and give all players who start with an indigo plantation 1 extra gold.

Your strategy was certainly extreme; you've solved your population problem with Uni and Hacienda, but you are probably being outproduced and outearned. You can win with a shipping strategy where you buy a few buildings that help with the shipping (warehouse, harbour, wharf) or a building strategy where you go for income and buy a lot of expensive buildings. Your approach seems to be neither maximising income or shipping but making sure everything operates. There a few (million) strategy articles on the Puerto page if you want to learn more.

The game is quite different with 3 players to 4 or 5; there are the same number of quarries and buildings in any game (I think this is wrong), so competition for these becomes intense with more players. With 3 there are surplus Quarries, but you've already seen with the Warehouse what can happen. Imagine 5 players fighting over 2 of each Violet. The way the trading works out is also different with more players as the Trading Post will fill and empty quicker.

Finally, I recommend San Juan as a simplified and shortened version, which has a free Android App called Condado (only try it if you have too much spare time and don't get addicted to things).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulinTheLion wrote:
Seeing as you had some rules problems you might not be aware that there are official recommendations to switch the prices of University and Factory, and give all players who start with an indigo plantation 1 extra gold.

This never was an official recommandation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
PaulEvans wrote:

Thank you Paul, this was unexpected and very much appreciated!

PaulinTheLion wrote:

Your strategy was certainly extreme; you've solved your population problem with Uni and Hacienda, but you are probably being outproduced and outearned. You can win with a shipping strategy where you buy a few buildings that help with the shipping (warehouse, harbour, wharf) or a building strategy where you go for income and buy a lot of expensive buildings. Your approach seems to be neither maximising income or shipping but making sure everything operates.

I agree my strategy leads nowhere, but as it was my first game I actually had no strategy. I just found myself in a stall situation and tried to recover.
Anyway I'm reading the strategy forum and next time I want to try to maximize the incomes and buy buildings. I don't actually like shipping cause I see it the easy way to win... I am probably wrong but I'm still a noob so I'll have time to change my mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soul_Guile wrote:
PaulEvans wrote:

No need to wait any longer. Go get an avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soul_Guile wrote:
I don't actually like shipping cause I see it the easy way to win... I am probably wrong but I'm still a noob so I'll have time to change my mind

The shipping strategy is easier to follow (not so many decisions) than building, but it's not the easy way to win. The game is well balanced, so either approach can work, and the other players have ways to hinder you as well.

The balance even extends to the game end, where in 4 and 5 player games all 3 end conditions are likely to be the decisive factor, and often 2 of them occur together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
Soul_Guile wrote:
PaulEvans wrote:

No need to wait any longer. Go get an avatar.

so kind of you Jerry!! Very much appreciated.

PaulinTheLion wrote:
in 4 and 5 player games all 3 end conditions are likely to be the decisive factor, and often 2 of them occur together.

all the 3 games I had ended for the lack of workers to replenish the ship.. probably we are all not going towards the good direction yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Guy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep, as you improve, you will be able to run out the VPs or finish building out to end the game. Everyone runs out the colonists the first few times. One piece of useful meta-strategy:

In PR there is an effect called Craftsman fear. Basically, taking Craftsman leads inevitably to the next player taking Trader or Captain. You go last on that subsequent action, meaning you usually get screwed out of the best (or any) trades, open boat space and the like. You got a taste of this when you had to discard all of your Sugar. Direct your strategy toward minimizing your own Craftsman fear. That is, arrange things so that you could take Craftsman and not be hurt much by whatever the next player does. Even so, let someone else take the Craftsman...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.