Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Advice on base game 4up first time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nash
msg tools
mb
Hi all,

Recently picked up the base game and tomorrow we have a 4 player game lined up.

What would people recommend as a good rule set? It will be everyone's first game, I doubt we'll be able to add an extra player to make it the recommended 5. I could hit up my FLGS if an specific xpac was recommended.

My own thoughts was to go with base only no sympth rules, as we're so new the lack of human optimal play should balance the one Cylon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, playing the base game with no sympathizer is a good way to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nash
msg tools
mb
guestid1250 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. A follow up question; what characters from base are recommended for the first play through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
That's probably not too important. But if you're asking for which characters are the most fun to play, I would say that Roslin, Boomer and Baltar provide the most opportunity for deception (both a good and a bad thing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
twubear wrote:
That's probably not too important. But if you're asking for which characters are the most fun to play, I would say that Roslin, Boomer and Baltar provide the most opportunity for deception (both a good and a bad thing).

Roslin and Boomer are incidentally also the characters with comparatively crippling drawbacks that might sour it a bit for first time players. That said, I was Cylon Boomer in my very first game and single-handed destroyed the fleet. It was a blast.

Unless everybody has already read through the characters, it's probably best to encourage people to pick whom they like from the show, or random if they haven't seen it. If everyone reads through every character, that adds another half hour to start-up time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one game of BSG so far and I would say that the first game is the hardest, the rules can be quite heavy for beginners - especially when the Cylons dare not ask questions through fear of giving themselves away.

I would recommend taking out the symp as if the game is too hard on your firs turn it can be off putting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nashable wrote:
guestid1250 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. A follow up question; what characters from base are recommended for the first play through?
If no1 can really decide (or can decide in a timely manner), just pick randomly, while still following char selection rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nash
msg tools
mb
Thanks again for the replies. In everyone's experience what would you say were the simplist characters to play? (I have a feeling i'll be asked to make that recommendation)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Davidson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mb
That's sort of a tricky question because the easiest characters to play are also the ones who are the least fun. I would recommend adding Saul Tigh in your first game. His ability to declare martial law and his cylon hatred making people easier to brig is a lot of fun and adds a lot of tension to the game. Specially if no one choses Adama and he gets to be admiral.

In general I guess Galen Tyrol and the pilots are the easiest to play as well all Tom Zarek and Adama junior but if you want to enjoy the game I would highly recommend you take characters such as Rosylyn, Tigh and Gaius Baltar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
In general, I tend to advise new players take Helo. His drawback takes care of itself quickly, so it is one less thing to remember, his Once Per Turn ability is one that you don't forget because it is so good, so you only really have to try to remember his Once Per Game, so it is less info to remember. Also, the opportunity to sit out a turn and watch everyone else play can be a boon to confused new players.
But honestly, all of the base character are various degrees of usable and none are overly complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starbuck's probably the easiest of the Pilots - people seem to find Apollo's Alert Viper Pilot confusing, and Boomer requires people to guess whether a Crisis is good or bad every turn.

With just one new player, Helo's a reasonable thought, but, while he can't move or take an action, he does have the same opportunity to play into skill checks as everyone else, so he's not really sitting out...

I'm of the school of thought that says new players should pick the character they want to be without worrying too much about game mechanics - it's better that they feel engaged and have fun than that they play some theoretical "best" role...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nash
msg tools
mb
rmsgrey wrote:

I'm of the school of thought that says new players should pick the character they want to be without worrying too much about game mechanics - it's better that they feel engaged and have fun than that they play some theoretical "best" role...

I agree with this but I just want be armed with good recommendations in case I'm asked :-)

Thanks again everyone, I'll try to post back later how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EASIER:
Helo - his weakness is "set and forget"
Baltar - Ditto for that matter. His special of drawing a skill card when HE draws a crisis card is supposed to be mandatory, but in this case, you could always enact a "you snooze, you lose" policy.

Chief - it's more uncommon to get beyond 8 cards if playing 5p+ games

HARDER:
Saul - his weakness is both annoying and easy to forget
Boomer - Her Recon is often forgotten, and that's not even counting her getting stuck in the Brig... which can a VERY UNIQUE and fun experience, but not necessarily so for newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Chernozub
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
By the way where do I find that no sympthazier variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Gal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.