Popular Tags: [View All]
ABG_Scott
United States
Washington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Urbanization

I recently bought Urbanization and have been able to play a few games. They have mostly been 3 or 4 player games and I have enjoyed them very much. One problem I have noticed is that in almost every game so far almost no factories are attracted and production is barely used at all. Most players, if they got a factory at all, were happy to just load up on work orders early and then sit on them. If they needed cash they would just produce on their 1 or 2 good orange factory or just use the tax man job to double tax. While it is not bad or against the rules to do so, I feel that the idea of the game is to try and advance your industrial abilities and actually produce goods. It also kinda sucks because I have yet to see any of the last 3 factories even reach the board. As a whim I was going to try the next few games with a house rule that I think may make production more of a valuable idea.

The rules change I was going to try is instead of having all goods produced earning you 1 VP and cash based on the type, how about having the VP's earned equal to the cash earned. So if someone produces an Orange good they get 1 VP and $1, a Gray good would get you 2 VP's and $2, and a White good would get you 3 VP's and $3.

I think this will make getting factories and producing goods more attractive while also keeping with the theme. I could be totally wrong and am going to play-test this with the next few games. I figured I would throw this out there and see what everyone thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the Recommendations forum to the Urbanization Variants forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd that no one else has replied yet.

The orange cubes are already the crappiest. Money is very tight. More vps for better work orders would make them too powerful, in my opinion. We definitely see people building gray and white factories (orange less so). If you're not seeing that, I can't help but wonder whether maybe you guys are doing something wrong. Producing on an orange factory doesn't make much money, so I'm confused as to how players could be happy doing that. Taxing can only be done a few times before the tax man runs into citizens and stops working. There are a couple options with inventions to make money without factories, but in generally at least most players will usually be trying to build factories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.