Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Viticulture» Forums » Variants

Subject: Suggestion in tuning Viticulture with House rule for gamer's variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Chan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion in tuning Viticulture with House rule for gamer's variant for the 3 mentioned problems (card draw luck , card effect unbalance and turn order important):

1.To reduce to draw card luck, , create each face-up open market of 3 cards in each type of draw pile
2.Delete the structure building for Cottage , remove this out of the game (double draw for each fall phase to let you recycle the deck is a bit crazy)
3.Turn order of player number 4 bonus should be : $2 dollars (instead of $1) so that it is suitable in ranking , $1 dollar is so unattractive to keep your turn order behind ,
even player number 3 is stronger in ranking.
4. MAX 25VP security line for VP tiebreaker is very constricted to let money winner coming out for every game ,
If max security line for VP is Max 30VP, this make Viticulture less likely to use tiebreaker in every game as we don want to see
money will be a dominance.

5.optional happy ending: sometimes when a person call end game in a certain year , every player try hard to fill order by using blue card and filling space action,
so at most 3 + 3 actions (filling area & play blue card area) is availble, it is so important for turn order if some players can fill 2 order cards but some cannot fill even one order at the end game year, so at that moment, there is
no limit of space in the AREA OF FILLING ORDER , then it make all players a happy ending with no regret~

6. Expansion of planting Trees (brown card),since draw card luck make apple trees more advantage for making workers happy in degree of happiness track, while raw tomato token or olive token cannot pay for happiness. So we suggest all 3 type of trees (brown cards)should to face-up in 3 pile (6/6/6) and players can choose which type of trees they would like to plant

7. Card effect unbalance:
yellow card of 'Horticulturist ': using tuning of Mr. Jonathan Er ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/967474/does-anyone-else-...)

i.e Max 2 Vp for value 4 uproot, but 1 vp for value 3 or below.

blue card of 'Guest speaker' : Max 2 vp even more than 2 players train worker from you

blue card of ' Assessor' : change the effect to get $3 per card you discard in hand, max $6

Lastly,
all these House rules are optional for gamers to polish the game . plz welcome to feed back which you would most likely to apply it~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm interesting points, I'm going mull on this because it touches on things we discussed in regards to the second game I played (only played twice).

I agree with your Guest Speaker card comment, in a 5-6 player hand it's way too powerful because once one person takes you up on the offer everyone else feels obliged to follow suit otherwise they are seriously behind in their worker power. Someone commented it is a card that really hinges on that first player saying no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually wondering about a house rule when I saw your thread. I'll answer first and then introduce my rule:

James Warren wrote:
Suggestion in tuning Viticulture with House rule for gamer's variant for the 3 mentioned problems (card draw luck , card effect unbalance and turn order important):

1.To reduce to draw card luck, , create each face-up open market of 3 cards in each type of draw pile

I think this would be too powerful with face-up and pile-search allowed. The nice thing about the piles is that they tend to get cycled since each player takes at least one each year (Fall, at least, if not during the Spring) I don't think any cards allow you to search any deck, so that randomness is constantly present in the draw. Perhaps have a cost associated with search but keep it face-down?

James Warren wrote:

2.Delete the structure building for Cottage , remove this out of the game (double draw for each fall phase to let you recycle the deck is a bit crazy)

I see your point in a larger (5- or 6-player) game, but in smaller games this shouldn't be a problem. The nice thing about the cards is that each is powerful, and each does something. It's rare to draft a card that cannot possibly help your strategy. The cards can be critical in moving a very-behind player up - for example, a player who is behind and needs to wake up late to select 1 VP or another reward, and who has no chance of crushing grapes or filling orders. That player may be able to make it with one of the Winter cards that allows crushing - without, that player may not have a prayer.

James Warren wrote:

3.Turn order of player number 4 bonus should be : $2 dollars (instead of $1) so that it is suitable in ranking , $1 dollar is so unattractive to keep your turn order behind ,
even player number 3 is stronger in ranking.

Not a bad idea, especially late-game when most players will have hands full of cards. In a 4-player game, for example, it's possible for each player to play 1 or 2 cards of either Winter or Summer, but not likely both. So the benefit of getting additional cards in Spring may be minimal.

James Warren wrote:

4. MAX 25VP security line for VP tiebreaker is very constricted to let money winner coming out for every game ,
If max security line for VP is Max 30VP, this make Viticulture less likely to use tiebreaker in every game as we don want to see
money will be a dominance.

James Warren wrote:

5.optional happy ending: sometimes when a person call end game in a certain year , every player try hard to fill order by using blue card and filling space action,
so at most 3 + 3 actions (filling area & play blue card area) is availble, it is so important for turn order if some players can fill 2 order cards but some cannot fill even one order at the end game year, so at that moment, there is
no limit of space in the AREA OF FILLING ORDER , then it make all players a happy ending with no regret~

I'm uncertain about this one. Yes, the last turn can indeed come down to who went first and second to grab those coveted wine shipment spots. Perhaps expand one? I don't know if I like the idea of unlimited orders - though if you play with this you should raise that VP limit definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:

I agree with your Guest Speaker card comment, in a 5-6 player hand it's way too powerful because once one person takes you up on the offer everyone else feels obliged to follow suit otherwise they are seriously behind in their worker power. Someone commented it is a card that really hinges on that first player saying no.

That I actually like - it's game theory with tipping point. Mmmmmwwwuuuhahahaha.

Alright, my house rule: we have end-game bottlenecks at crush and ship. Perhaps allow a building on your vineyard for a crush mat, cost 7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.